IGNORED

Incognito audio self test - rather rapid

foft

I took my 800 with incognito apart to test some pokeymax issues. After I worked that out I put it back together again I noticed that the audio self test goes ... rather rapid. It switches between voices almost immediately. I guess I've knocked a wire off or something, though cannot find a missing connection.

In my haste last night to re-disassemble it I put pokey in backwards and powered it on. The text is printed the other way round vs pin 1 on one of the chips. I guess that would have damaged something but I'm not sure what. I was thinking perhaps . Oddly the pokey itself works perfectly in my 600XL as far as I can tell: keyboard, audio test and sio.

Anyway I'm looking for advice on:

i) Any idea why the audio self test could be behaving like that?

ii) What might I have blown up by putting pokey in backwards?

12 hours ago, foft said:

ii) What might I have blown up by putting pokey in backwards?

In theory, only the pokey itself, but with these aging devices, you just never know for sure,

so if somethings still wrong, start checking anything that connects to the pokey (which may be just about all major chips)

as it will be connected to the address and data bus lines.

I just tried acid 800 on my two spare pokeys in my A600 - and they both are fine with that. As well as everything I try. I reckon I'm lucky and the pokey chips are fine, just the socket is no longer reliable or something like that.

As for the self test... The acid test all passes on the Atari 800 with Incognito! So something weird is happening, I wonder if its a bad incognito firmware or rom or something. I'll see if I can flash the latest...

@foft  Sure. I am still unclear as to whether you are only experiencing issues with the 800's Self test sound test, or whether you are experiencing issues within songs and games when run on the 800?

Also what Incognito firmware are you running? A FJC version or the original Candle firmware? I am assuming you have one of FJC's? :grin:

Pokey chips are fine, I replaced the socket with a nice ZIF and all my chips are happy now.

As for the 'self test audio test', that still behaves weirdly. I put FJC's bios on when I got this a couple of years ago. Its version 1.08. Games sound fine. I did notice that pole position (cartridge) doesn't start though.

edit: pole position is fine today...

Edited by foft
updated
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, foft said:

Wow, this version seems rather old. V4 is the latest!

Do I install the linked Jed update in the first post here first? https://atariage.com/forums/topic/324294-incognito-jed-experimental-upgrade/#comments

@foft The experimental Incognito JED's aren't 100% stable on that thread (AFAIK), so I'd firstly look at Flashjazzcat's Youtube vids as there is a video that talks you through flashing Incognito but also advises what you need to do regarding older revision Incognito board before you flash - to avoid bricking it - AFAIK.

Can you post a pic of your Bios info screen? Also what board revision do you have as that will have a bearing on flashing the JED first.

I think if you have a more modern white board you don't need to flash the JED, if you have an older revision black board, there are steps needed before you flash. But don't quote me on that. Best look at FJC's vids on the subject in the first instance. Also look at his website for guidance (https://atari8.co.uk/firmware/incognito/)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bandit said:

BAck in 2012 the first run had that speed up in the XL/XE self test. The sound was like 20 times faster, I think he had a patch (software) but that was the first run boards.

@foft  hmmm sounds like you might have the earlier rev black PCB version (ref Bandit's info). That would be the first thing to confirm.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AtariGeezer said:

Try selecting a different OS. One of the default ones will cause this...

Aha, that’s it! The high speed os works but the stock one does this.

I have the white pcb from candle in 2015. Guess I should update it anyway:)

@foft  Cool. White PCB should flash fine with FJC's latest Spring/Summer 2021 firmware (4.05 is it?). No need to update the JED. Defo worth upgrading to the latest IMHO. See the manual on FCJs website for details on how to flash Incognito. (Pages 10/11):

https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Ultimate-1MB-Incognito-1088XEL-1088XLD-SIDE-SIDE2-and-SIDE3-Firmware-Manual.pdf

And firmware here: https://atari8.co.uk/firmware/incognito/

High-Speed OS becomes largely (if not entirely) redundant with my firmware, since it implements a PBI-based high-speed SIO driver which works with any OS that supports PBI devices (and for Colleen mode, one would need a copy of OS/A or OS/B patched for high-speed SIO). Flashing the whole 512K ROM with the update, anyway, will get rid of the high-speed OS, but I'm really interested to know why the self-test would behave differently.

All Incognito firmware is compatible with every JED revision which ever existed, and the latest (4.xx) will deactivate any settings not contextually appropriate to the JED flashed to the board. Note that all Incognito PCBs are white (except the prototype/development boards), but the older ones have a blue stripe while the newer ones have a black stripe. But every board is ready for the latest firmware right out of the box, so to speak. U1MB PCBs used to be black, meanwhile, and that can be an indicator that an U1MB with a very early JED revision (pre-SIDE, in fact) may require a CPLD update before the FJC firmware is flashed to it (although any board which has the RD4/5 current limiting resistors on it and which has the 'SIDE hardware' setting in the original firmware menu is almost guaranteed to have the requisite CPLD code).

Lastly, the most recent JED for Incognito (as mentioned above) has a quirk which may or may not show up on the target system and is in a perpetually unresolved state. My workaround of extending the power-on stability delay seems to deal with it, but I need to formalise this in a firmware release (and I was reluctant to do this until now in case the actual cause of the problem became apparent, but it hasn't).

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1