Jump to content
masteries

Low Cost Fujinet v1.6 for Coleco Adam - Atari 8 bits - (and I hope C64)

Recommended Posts

 

Greetings,

 

Some days ago I tested the Low Cost Fujinet v1.6 multiplatform version I manufactured

in a real Coleco Adam.

 

These images illustrates the Low Cost Fujinet v1.6 running in a Coleco Adam,

using a DB15 to RJ12

 

Also, the DB15 to SIO cable is illustrated, due to this Fujinet edition contains

both Coleco Adam and Atari 8 bits interface components at same time.

 

 

Here the first photographs:

 

SAM-3859.jpg

 

 

 

SAM-3860.jpg

 

 

 

SAM-3861.jpg

 

 

 

SAM-3862.jpg

 

 

 

SAM-3863.jpg

 

 

 

SAM-3864.jpg

 

 

 

 

I need to test some games, loading from the web and from the SD card.

 

 

 

 

These Low Cost Fujinet v1.6 units are available at marketplace:

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

 

Update,

 

 

A video of the Low Cost Fujinet v1.6 in Coleco Adam mode, tested in a real Coleco computer:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by masteries
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, masteries said:

 

 

Update,

 

 

A video of the Low Cost Fujinet v1.6 in Coleco Adam mode, tested in a real Coleco computer:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi

 

Can the firmware be updated?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rietveld said:

Hi

 

Can the firmware be updated?

 

Thanks

 

Yes, using the Fujinet flasher, via the USB port

useful to update it, and change platform to Atari 8 bits...

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t believe more people aren’t jumping on this. This is a transformative network and Internet solution that brings the Adam toward modern computing abilities. I ordered one. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, phattyboombatty said:

I can’t believe more people aren’t jumping on this. This is a transformative network and Internet solution that brings the Adam toward modern computing abilities. I ordered one. :)

I agree. In my case, I am weighing waiting to see what else develops as far as a couple other people who have stated that they are considering making a FujiNet ADAM device... both external in a case and internal using one of the Data Drive bays. I don't own or plan to own another supported 8-bit computer besides the ADAM, so the added benefit of Masteries' unit also working with other computers isn't enough for me to make a purchase... although the price point makes it very tempting.

 

I can only assume that people who already own one of the MicroFox VDD or numerous ADE SD Drive solutions and one of the MIB238 Interface solutions (with or without the WiFi Modem built on) may be content with that setup seeing as the SD Drive and WiFi Modem are the main items that the FujiNet ADAM provides.

 

It's a roll of the dice and hopefully I don't come up with craps by not jumping on one of the units that Masteries is selling especially since I am very impressed with all the software that Thomas Cherryhomes has developed for the ADAM version and want to see it running firsthand. I just want to see how things develop especially concerning the possible Internal FidoNet for ADAM.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, phattyboombatty said:

I can’t believe more people aren’t jumping on this. This is a transformative network and Internet solution that brings the Adam toward modern computing abilities. I ordered one. 

I completely agree with you.

 

The fujinet is a game changer.  It replaces both the ADE and MIB board .  In addition to the local file storage it also offers remote cloud access via remote server

 

You can Telnet in 80 col without any additional hardware

 

I use my fujinet to check the weather and read the news daily.  

 

I also play games against other online users across the Internet

 

 

 

Screenshot_20220321-073035.png

Screenshot_20220321-073129.png

Screenshot_20220321-073348.png

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2022 at 4:43 PM, NIAD said:

 

 

I can only assume that people who already own one of the MicroFox VDD or numerous ADE SD Drive solutions and one of the MIB238 Interface solutions (with or without the WiFi Modem built on) may be content with that setup seeing as the SD Drive and WiFi Modem are the main items that the FujiNet ADAM provide 

 

There are two HUGE advantages of using the Fujnet over the MIB238

 

If I want to Telnet in 80 column with my MIB setup I will need to use an external display and i can only use a Baud of 4800 (9600 with modification to the MIB) before the Adam starts to drop characters 

 

The fujinet uses the Netcat Terminal program to display a very readable. 80 columns on a stock TV or monitor, meaning that you don't need a separate display dedicated as a terminal display

You can also Telenet at speeds that are only limited by the host server and not hampered by the Adams speed.  Data is sent in packets and captured by the Fujinet and then sent to the Adam. This means you can go online at speeds much greater than the 9600 that would be pushing the limits of the Adam when just using a MIB board

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A fix was worked out for the MIB238 to allow it to use speeds up to 19,200, but you also have to use TeleTerm v4 or the latest v7 by Eric Pearson. There was a design limitation with the original Micro Innovations’ MIB design that caused the issue and IIRC there is also a programming issue with AL V that prevents it working at higher baud rates properly. Tekman can provide the details better than I.

 

i connect the MIB238’s Terminal Port to a Laptop next to my ADAM and at times connect the Laptop to my 28” LCD via HDMI that the ADAM is also connected too. So, splitting hairs, 1 display but have to change the input from Composite to HDMI. 🤪

 

As I said, some may be content with the ADE / MIB238 combo no matter what the extra benefits of the FujiNet are. I’ll definitely be purchasing a FujiNet ADAM, as I’m sure many will, just waiting to see what all shakes out with other build options… especially an internal Data Drive Bay version. If no other options pan out, then hopefully Masteries still has his version for sale.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rietveld said:

There are two HUGE advantages of using the Fujnet over the MIB238

 

If I want to Telnet in 80 column with my MIB setup I will need to use an external display and i can only use a Baud of 4800 (9600 with modification to the MIB) before the Adam starts to drop characters 

 

The fujinet uses the Netcat Terminal program to display a very readable. 80 columns on a stock TV or monitor, meaning that you don't need a separate display dedicated as a terminal display

You can also Telenet at speeds that are only limited by the host server and not hampered by the Adams speed.  Data is sent in packets and captured by the Fujinet and then sent to the Adam. This means you can go online at speeds much greater than the 9600 that would be pushing the limits of the Adam when just using a MIB board

 

 

 

Unfortunately, my results with 80-column Fujinet with Netcat on my monitor wasn't as good as yours and can’t hardly read anything on the screen and is unusable for me. I think it was originally meant to be more of a proof of concept idea. Even the 64-column is hard for me to read and I have to use Netcat at 40 column to look good on my monitor. I still use the MIB238 terminal connection for crystal clear 80-column support. Also, all versions of MIB cards can use a terminal connection of 19.2k baud and never required the /INT modification that the serial modem port needed to get 19.2k baud with buffering.

Fujinet  80-col.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New batch of Low Cost Fujinet v1.6 with Atari 8 bits and Coleco Adam hardware are under manufacturing,

 

Its a continous manufacturing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2022 at 1:41 PM, Tekman said:

Unfortunately, my results with 80-column Fujinet with Netcat on my monitor wasn't as good as yours and can’t hardly read anything on the screen and is unusable for me. I think it was originally meant to be more of a proof of concept idea. Even the 64-column is hard for me to read and I have to use Netcat at 40 column to look good on my monitor.

Fujinet  80-col.jpg

Netcat-80 is illegible on my 22" LCD as well. IIRC, rietveld is upscaling the composite output to ? VGA ? and probably that is why he is getting better video quality at 80 columns.

 

Netcat-64 is very legible on my display.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...