IGNORED

Programming the Apple IIe/IIc

ColecoGamer

I used to program on the c64 back in the day and enjoyed it.

I looked up some tutorials on programming the Apple II, and so far it’s not that much different.

I know I have announced projects before on other platforms with their own development tools, thanks to the intelligent, vibrant communities these platforms have. However, some of these tools (not all of them, mind you) have steep learning curves, which is fine by me.

However, I have always wanted to develop a text adventure game with graphics (think later Infocom releases). After spending a week brushing up on $Variables, etc., I feel overly confident that I CAN complete a project like this, which I have sketched out for years.

Now, here’s a question I still have a question to (because I can’t find the answer) - if using Apple Basic (for example) - how would I properly display an image (like an image that shows where the player is at) along with the text from the game.

Here’s a good example of what I am talking about:

I would like the image to remain on the screen (and the text below the image), until the player changes their location in-game.

Also, what is the BEST Apple II paint program to use to create the images I have in mind, for inclusion in my text adventure?

Edited by ColecoGamer

Even though I own both an Apple IIe and IIc, I may use emulation to develop the game. My other question is - is it possible to write a digital .dsk image to a real 5.25” floppy, if I decide to have a physical release one day? What software and hardware are needed to achieve this? As you can tell, I have no idea how to do this!

14 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

Even though I own both an Apple IIe and IIc, I may use emulation to develop the game. My other question is - is it possible to write a digital .dsk image to a real 5.25” floppy, if I decide to have a physical release one day? What software and hardware are needed to achieve this? As you can tell, I have no idea how to do this!

If you use a FloppyEmu (https://www.bigmessowires.com/floppy-emu/), you can set the FloppyEmu as one disk drive, have a real floppy drive connected also, and you are set to copy.

• Like 1

The FloppyEmu is expensive and has problems with non contiguous files making unnecessary operations mandatory when you are developing something and need to create and delete many versions of a file.

With a //c you have already a serial port that can be used to transfer files using http:// https://www.adtpro.com. Making a cable is pretty easy and way much cheaper

The normal HGR command in AppleSoft will allow you to display a graphic of 280x160 pixels leaving 4 lines of 40 column text.

I like Blazing Paddles as a drawing program a lot. It provides shades of colors that many other programs do not support in Hi-Res.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheDevil'sCompass said:

Another paint program to check out is the Graphics Magician by Penguin Software. It was used by Penguin to make their adventure games such as Transylvania and The Crimson Crown.

Thank you for the advice! Any suggestions on what type of mouse I can use on the Apple IIe/IIc to draw with in Graphics Magician? 

57 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

Thank you for the advice! Any suggestions on what type of mouse I can use on the Apple IIe/IIc to draw with in Graphics Magician? 

I believe I had an A2M4015 for my //c back then. Don't have one now so I can't say with 100% certainty. The Graphics Magician can also use a joystick for input.

There are plans for an adapter for the M0100 mouse though it's a little expensive if you want to order a pre-made one if you're in the U.S.:

M0100 Mouse adapter for Apple IIc (raphnet.net)

Ebay listing for pre-made adapter: M0100 Macintosh mouse adapter for Apple IIc | eBay

Here's the manual for the Graphics Magician:

The Graphics Magician.pdf (asimov.net)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheDevil'sCompass said:

I believe I had an A2M4015 for my //c back then. Don't have one now so I can't say with 100% certainty. The Graphics Magician can also use a joystick for input.

There are plans for an adapter for the M0100 mouse though it's a little expensive if you want to order a pre-made one if you're in the U.S.:

M0100 Mouse adapter for Apple IIc (raphnet.net)

Ebay listing for pre-made adapter: M0100 Macintosh mouse adapter for Apple IIc | eBay

Here's the manual for the Graphics Magician:

The Graphics Magician.pdf (asimov.net)

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

Does anybody has any good IDE / toolchain recommendations to use form a Windows machine? 

There's the 8bit workshop (which has an Apple II mode) but I'd prefer something offline.

It uses cc65 as compiler, so I suppose I can pair that with Notepad++ or Studio Code...

For graphics, this might be useful: https://github.com/Pixinn/Rgb2Hires

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Newsdee said:

Does anybody has any good IDE / toolchain recommendations to use form a Windows machine? 

There's the 8bit workshop (which has an Apple II mode) but I'd prefer something offline.

It uses cc65 as compiler, so I suppose I can pair that with Notepad++ or Studio Code...

For graphics, this might be useful: https://github.com/Pixinn/Rgb2Hires

I plan on using Apple IIe emulation to write my project. When the time comes to release it, I’ll use that kit mentioned above to create floppy disks.

Not that I can offer much because it's been years... but I remember playing Emon sitting at the computer store while deals on the //e was being worked out. That started a lifetime of adventure game love. I hope you have some luck, sounds like fun. I would suggest looking for the source code for emon for at least the text part of the adventure because it was pretty solid and people were able to create their own adventures.

As for the graphics, I do like the mention of Penguin's Graphic Magician, as mentioned by the Devil's Compass, Transylvania was the next step in the evolution of the graphic adventure. I recently discovered what I think are my maps for that game.... crazy to see decades later. I think you'd do best working on the //e and //c using the double high-res graphics mode for the best images. This mode is much nicer, but does require the 64K extended column card.

I never had a mouse for the //e but I do remember seeing some.

You may just do best working on a PC/mac and then, if you can find a way to use, look into debabilizer (it's ancient but awesome mac tool) to convert your images to a format for the //. I don't remember if debab supports Apple ii, but since it handled almost everything and it was on the mac I'm pretty sure it did. Game devs used debab for a lot back in the day.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jeff d said:

Not that I can offer much because it's been years... but I remember playing Emon sitting at the computer store while deals on the //e was being worked out. That started a lifetime of adventure game love. I hope you have some luck, sounds like fun. I would suggest looking for the source code for emon for at least the text part of the adventure because it was pretty solid and people were able to create their own adventures.

As for the graphics, I do like the mention of Penguin's Graphic Magician, as mentioned by the Devil's Compass, Transylvania was the next step in the evolution of the graphic adventure. I recently discovered what I think are my maps for that game.... crazy to see decades later. I think you'd do best working on the //e and //c using the double high-res graphics mode for the best images. This mode is much nicer, but does require the 64K extended column card.

I never had a mouse for the //e but I do remember seeing some.

You may just do best working on a PC/mac and then, if you can find a way to use, look into debabilizer (it's ancient but awesome mac tool) to convert your images to a format for the //. I don't remember if debab supports Apple ii, but since it handled almost everything and it was on the mac I'm pretty sure it did. Game devs used debab for a lot back in the day.

I really appreciate the look back from your days at the Apple II store. I remember Transylvania; it was a fantastic game.

I will be using Graphic Magician for the graphics. I mentioned using IIe/IIc emulation, because hunting down an inexpensive  IIe/IIc mouse seems implausible. I draw my best with a mouse or Stylus pen. At least with emulation on my Mac, I’ll have access to mouse support while drawing the art assists for the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

I really appreciate the look back from your days at the Apple II store. I remember Transylvania; it was a fantastic game.

I will be using Graphic Magician for the graphics. I mentioned using IIe/IIc emulation, because hunting down an inexpensive  IIe/IIc mouse seems implausible. I draw my best with a mouse or Stylus pen. At least with emulation on my Mac, I’ll have access to mouse support while drawing the art assists for the game.

Are you aware of the Apple II Graphics Table?
They may be super rare today. The first time I saw a game artist using a tablet with Deluxe Paint to "paint" a character's face my mind was blown.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jeff d said:

Are you aware of the Apple II Graphics Table?
They may be super rare today. The first time I saw a game artist using a tablet with Deluxe Paint to "paint" a character's face my mind was blown.

Yes, I just saw one recently on eBay, and it went for a lot of money (something like $300-400 CIB, if memory serves me correctly).

I would love to get my hands on a Apple II Graphics Tablet, but only if the price was reasonable (under $200 if possible, but I realize that may not be possible, due to how rare they are).

As for the project itself - I am currently writing the story; drawing a map for all the locations that can be visited, along with the items you’ll need to pickup.

It’s a vampire story based in the distant future (think Bladerunner, where the replicants are blood suckers instead.).

This project has been a lot of fun to create so far. I want the game to be lengthly, but not too long where it would bored or frustrate the player.  

There’s no ETA at the moment, as I take my time on developing the story and its characters.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

As for the project itself - I am currently writing the story; drawing a map for all the locations that can be visited, along with the items you’ll need to pickup.

It’s a vampire story based in the distant future (think Bladerunner, where the replicants are blood suckers instead.).

This project has been a lot of fun to create so far. I want the game to be lengthly, but not too long where it would bored or frustrate the player.  

There’s no ETA at the moment, as I take my time on developing the story and its characters.

Your idea sounds really cool. Look forward to playing it when you're finished.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...