IGNORED

Coleco 72559 power supply

rob1975

Hello. I recently acquired a coleco adam, and given my lack of knowledge on these managed to obtain a new old stock  power supply. these according to the auction came without the printer's logic board, which I somehow didn't believe was necessary to get the ADAM to turn on. but all I can get to happen is a hum from the power supply and no life from the ADAM. is there a possibility that I need the printer's logic board, or is the ADAM dead? Any help would be appreciated....

48 minutes ago, rob1975 said:

Hello. I recently acquired a coleco adam, and given my lack of knowledge on these managed to obtain a new old stock  power supply. these according to the auction came without the printer's logic board, which I somehow didn't believe was necessary to get the ADAM to turn on. but all I can get to happen is a hum from the power supply and no life from the ADAM. is there a possibility that I need the printer's logic board, or is the ADAM dead? Any help would be appreciated....

The ADAM will work with a good power supply as you mentioned.  Because the ps was inside the printer it had the printer logic board attached.  Is is NOT needed to make the ADAM power up.  You either have a dead ADAM or a bad ps - as you surmised.

Thanks. I was hoping that I had just missed something. there was another auction that had shown a power supply with the logic board attached, so I knew that mine didn't have it. (Apparently these were in a warehouse). the ADAM had been stored in a shed, so it's operational condition was dubious at best.. but figured I would just take the risk and see if it worked, oh well maybe another ADAM will show up eventually...

12 minutes ago, rob1975 said:

Thanks. I was hoping that I had just missed something. there was another auction that had shown a power supply with the logic board attached, so I knew that mine didn't have it. (Apparently these were in a warehouse). the ADAM had been stored in a shed, so it's operational condition was dubious at best.. but figured I would just take the risk and see if it worked, oh well maybe another ADAM will show up eventually...

Only suggestion would be to take apart the ADAM, unplug all connections and clean them all, then try again.  

58 minutes ago, adamcon said:

Only suggestion would be to take apart the ADAM, unplug all connections and clean them all, then try again.  

Yeah, I did that first, actually, this thing was Filthy.. even had to use a needle to fix the mangled pins in the adamnet connector,  guess I didn't clean it enough.

51 minutes ago, rob1975 said:

Yeah, I did that first, actually, this thing was Filthy.. even had to use a needle to fix the mangled pins in the adamnet connector,  guess I didn't clean it enough.

Possibly, had an ADAM here in Florida when I got here that didn’t want to work. Found the pins in the phone jack bent.  Might have been something else, as I also disassembled it and cleaned it; but whatever it was it’s working good now. 

4 hours ago, adamcon said:

Possibly, had an ADAM here in Florida when I got here that didn’t want to work. Found the pins in the phone jack bent.  Might have been something else, as I also disassembled it and cleaned it; but whatever it was it’s working good now. 

Yeah  was looking at a picture of the board I had taken when I had the thing apart. There were some socketed chips that I'm pretty sure I didn't touch, wonder if that might be it. Wouldn't be the first time I've had things not work due to a loose processor.

Well there's an epilogue of sorts. I did take the thing apart and reseat the chips, and for one glorious power cycle I got the red led to light up on the keyboard. unfortunately that was apparently all it did. I worked on it for 2 hours after that, but it's back to showing no life at all. guess I could say at least the power supply was good....

This is going to be a tough one to diagnose.

There are 2 ADAMnet ports on the Memory Console (front and left side) and you can plug in the Keyboard to either one, so connect it to the other one and see if the red power light comes on. Even if there are issues with the ADAM Logic Board in the Memory Console, in most cases the Keyboard light will still illuminate unless the Power Supply is bad, the pins on the ADAMnet port(s) are bent or broken, the ADAMnet cable you are using is bad or the wrong type (It has to be Twisted or also referred to as Reversed) or an issue with the ADAM Logic Board.

Do you have the Stand-Alone Memory Console or the EM#3 Memory Console that connects to a ColecoVision Game System?

Edited by NIAD