IGNORED

Is the Amico dead?

Tinman

I’ve read of the possible purchase of the company and we all know about the delays because of shortages of parts. I have a pre-order as I’m sure lots of us do. So how optimistic are you all that this thing will be delivered?

AtariAge is no longer a place where the Amico is discussed.  Maybe that will change if the Amico is released but that is for the admins to decide.  In the meantime, expect this thread to get locked soon.

Here's some posts related to the matter:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tinman said:

I’ve read of the possible purchase of the company and we all know about the delays because of shortages of parts. I have a pre-order as I’m sure lots of us do. So how optimistic are you all that this thing will be delivered?

The financials don't paint a good picture. They should have been able to deliver, but I think part of the problem is they never just secured parts when they had an opportunity to. I think their problem now is more lack of money and less of part shortage. If they would ever pass and submit their stuff to FCC it may be easier to figure out the parts situation.

As far as is it dead? No. They are in a "quiet period". It doesn't look great though since they never gave the manufacturing update like they said they would and the last email mentioned nothing about making or shipping consoles. 

If they sold the company like they hinted in that last email, I'm unsure if the new buyers would be on the hook for making and shipping a console.

Considering how long they've been hemorrhaging money, the outlook doesn't look great. Bleak but not dead. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure if it's dead yet,but I am extremely disappointed with the direction everything has taken.

I never believed the negativity or the detractors until the last couple months, now its hard to ignore the warning signs they were posting all along.

And I definitely don't like the possibility that I have been lied to several times regarding the reason for release delays.

Now,only time will provide the final answers. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Their latest fundraiser has raised 50k out of the 5 million target and got canceled early. Their moves seem increasingly desperate and ending a fundraiser two months early really indicates that they are so cash-starved even 50K would do. I am also not sure why would anybody want to buy them, unless at some really rock-bottom price to perhaps secure some trademarks.

But, hey, you can still buy the games for it! This is where it really gets a bit annoying. It might also lead to a possible world-first (?) situation where games exist without a hardware to play them on.

I know @Albert has asked for no more threads about Amico at the time, and if he wishes for this to continue then so be it, but I don't see why we shouldn't have at least one where it's possible to discuss this rather grim situation. It's not really about schadenfreude, though admittedly for people "haters" like me, who have been talking about warning signs since day one but got a lot of flak for it, it's hard not to feel at least a bit validated. But apart from that it's as part of the videogaming landscape as everything else, plus there are a lot of interested/involved parties on this forum too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

They're also off topic here and should be in the modern gaming section of Atariage.

8 hours ago, Tinman said:

If they have an investor that shares their vision then things should proceed.  The negatives in their financials is largely due to the $11M+ Republic/Fig investments.  They also need to produce about 100k Amicos, not just a few thousand founders editions.  They need to figure out that financing and of course parts supply at that scale.

• Like 1

My apologies for posting this here if it's the wrong place to do so!  I admit I don't keep up enough with the forums here to have a good feel for what should or shouldn't be posted.

I do have a pre-order in for the Amico and I really hope it happens.  They've incorporated some clever ideas into the console and I'd like to see it work.  Along those same lines, I do also have an Atari VCS and despite some very annoying connectivity problems I've faced with it, I do like it quite well.  I've always been a casual gamer, so Xbox and PlayStation aren't really my bag and I hope these more casual systems make it.  I guess if they don't, I can always buy a Nintendo Switch.  But the nostalgic part of me loves the notion of having an Atari and an Intellivision sitting next to each other by my TV.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tinman said:

My apologies for posting this here if it's the wrong place to do so!  I admit I don't keep up enough with the forums here to have a good feel for what should or shouldn't be posted.

It's all right, sorry for being a little harsh on my side.

It's just that there is a loooot of context behind Amico discussions here in AtariAge. I guess it is easy to assume others will be aware of that context as well.

28 minutes ago, Tinman said:

I do have a pre-order in for the Amico and I really hope it happens.  They've incorporated some clever ideas into the console and I'd like to see it work.  Along those same lines, I do also have an Atari VCS and despite some very annoying connectivity problems I've faced with it, I do like it quite well.  I've always been a casual gamer, so Xbox and PlayStation aren't really my bag and I hope these more casual systems make it.  I guess if they don't, I can always buy a Nintendo Switch.  But the nostalgic part of me loves the notion of having an Atari and an Intellivision sitting next to each other by my TV.

I was hoping to get an Atari VCS on sale this past season. Havent checked on prices, Will get one one day. The Black Widow game and the other Recharged games look great. Get a Switch, it also has 2 Atari Flashback compilations on it and so many great games all around, we have 3 Switches. 

Which Atari recharged is the best?  

Edited by Rev

The RFID carts? Right now Intellivision is in a "quiet period." Either an angel investor came through or they are going to be bought out. According to Smash JT and I think Pat & Ian have mentioned, 3 or so people working for Intellivision have resumes posted. Glad I got my preorder refund. Not sure I feel like paying up to 350 for a HTC 10. ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Would you mind posting some pics of it?  I haven't seen the real deal in the wild. :)

I think Wolfy has a whole wall full!  

Only thing Amico I have left is a Gamestop poster, otherwise I would post box pics. Is this a rare poster now?  Im rich! Im sending it to WATA. 

image.jpg

Edited by Rev
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Tinman said:

I don't think it works anymore, but there was a thing on Xbox Live Arcade that let you build your own virtual arcade and you could buy Atari games (including Activision games), arcade machines, and Intellivision games that would then show up as their own cabinet that your Avatar could step up to.  I just ADORED the project, it's actually what got me back into retrogaming.  It was super cool.

As for now, the Switch is a very good retro game system, I have found.  With the Arcade Archives releases, there are a good amount of classic arcade games to be enjoyed (personally, big fan of Moon Cresta, Elevator Action, Crazy Climber, Zero Team, Sunset Riders, Moon Patrol, Raiden, Circus Charlie, and some others).  Get a Switch and a Pro Controller (or the 8bitDo Arcade Joystick) and I bet you'll enjoy it an awful lot. :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hydro Thunder said:

I don't think it works anymore, but there was a thing on Xbox Live Arcade that let you build your own virtual arcade and you could buy Atari games (including Activision games), arcade machines, and Intellivision games that would then show up as their own cabinet that your Avatar could step up to.  I just ADORED the project, it's actually what got me back into retrogaming.  It was super cool.

As for now, the Switch is a very good retro game system, I have found.  With the Arcade Archives releases, there are a good amount of classic arcade games to be enjoyed (personally, big fan of Moon Cresta, Elevator Action, Crazy Climber, Zero Team, Sunset Riders, Moon Patrol, Raiden, Circus Charlie, and some others).  Get a Switch and a Pro Controller (or the 8bitDo Arcade Joystick) and I bet you'll enjoy it an awful lot. :)

Switch also has its own version of Shark Shark. ?

• Like 1

Just now, 5-11under said:

I'm getting confused (or people are confusing me)... I'm talking about the 8 boxes, basically... background color is light blue. Have people received those, are those also in the "hopes and dreams" category?

No, they come out- many youtubers did "unboxing" videos a few months back when they were released.  For Example:

https://youtu.be/smYwhhbITjM

• Like 1