IGNORED

Is the Amico dead?

Tinman

28 minutes ago, Rev said:

Mattpilz: “It is true that these boxes can all be scanned withouremoving them from the packaging.”

Thanks for verifying that! 

Something just feels off about being able to play a game without ever breaking the shrink wrap. That's a big part of the ritual.

Mind you, it's still not looking good for ever being able to play these at all. ?

25 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

Something just feels off about being able to play a game without ever breaking the shrink wrap. That's a big part of the ritual.

Mind you, it's still not looking good for ever being able to play these at all. ?

Well, it will be good for sending them to WATA for grading. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The company should really just concentrate on making fun new versions of the older games, bundling them up with their original version counterparts and sell it on Sony's and Microsoft's digital marketplaces. 

Making a console for these just seems  both a bad idea and short-sighted.

When funding and production is this sideways, there won't be a recovery.

Anybody else just get the unboxing video email for the Amico?   Kinda weird to see it since we’re all wondering if any of it is going to be real.  Also makes me wonder if they are showing off the box for lack of anything else to show.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Tinman said:

Anybody else just get the unboxing video email for the Amico?   Kinda weird to see it since we’re all wondering if any of it is going to be real.  Also makes me wonder if they are showing off the box for lack of anything else to show.

Yup, received it. I think it’s weird too. It’ll be a miracle if it comes out!

14 minutes ago, Tinman said:

Also makes me wonder if they are showing off the box for lack of anything else to show.

Had you seen the retail packaging before? I remember people asking about it.

The video shows the whole thing, from what I saw. I don't understand any complaints about this unboxing.

On 3/21/2022 at 10:27 AM, MrBeefy said:

Ah found the weird PP about how it isn't software. At best it's a promise to maybe be a license in the future. If no Amico, no software, no revenue. Even says there is no set date it will become software. This is far from the physical media they were suppose to have.

*Collector’s Boxed Edition Bundles Disclaimer*

By purchasing any “Collector’s Boxed Edition Bundles,” you agree and understand what you are purchasing a collector’s item as described below:

You understand that there are NO set dates of when these game titles will be available and that in order to use your RFID digital media card to download each game, you must have an Intellivision Amico and a secure connection to the internet.

I'm curious if there is any legal precedent for including this kind of conditional event trigger, in a retail product. 

Could a film maker charge you full price but send a keychain with a download code, with the hope of eventually producing a film?  Or, being a bit silly: could Cracker Jack sell empty boxes with plastic toys, along with a coupon that might be redeemable for the popcorn and nuts, later? 

I completely acknowledge that INTV provided a fairly clear disclaimer.  I'm just curious if that will effectively shield them from potential liability. 

If I find any interesting examples, I'll share them.  A cursory search turns up examples for more complex situations like if a piece of property passes inspection or if a company board makes a decision, etc.  If anyone has caselaw from retail products, under similar circumstances, I'd definitely check them out. 

• Like 1

Unboxing | Intellivision® Amico™

All things considered was kind of surprised to see this? Well hope everyone gets what they pre-ordered at the very least. IF this video can be believed though it really does not excuse the horrible non communication with fans and supporters. We will see. ?‍♂️ In typical fashion comments on YouTube are disabled.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Smash JT reported seeing the retail box a while ago. This could of been shown long ago.

Why show now instead of giving the promised release/manufacturing date that Phil Adams said he was going to at end of Feb?

This video did not get me excited for Amico in the least. Which is sitting currently at zero. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mthompson said:

Typical fashion for whom? This is their first YouTube video to have comments disabled.

OK maybe not the right wording, I just find it funny considering how bad communication has been with them to the point people wondering if it was dead and questioning if they would even receive pre-orders, they certainly have not been the most transparent or forth coming as of late have they? 

8 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

Not sure it would be that expensive considering it would be minus half the capability of a cell phone... no camera (which is the most expensive part), no cell service, and limited storage.

But regardless, seemed like it was plenty of power for what they needed.  The games looked smooth, and the interaction seemed instant with no delays.  

This whole thing is just sad from any angle you look at it.  There was a genuine effort, and what looked like good people behind it.. all for nothing?  Only a few more month will tell.

I'm still in though.

I thought that the tank game looked sluggish, at times.  It could have been a video capture issue but it made me skeptical. 

INTV even stated that they would need to further optimize their OS, in order to handle a game like ToeJam and Earl. It seems like the Amico might be so low spec that it may struggle to run some of its own games. I acknowledge that talented developers can get impressive performance, even from ancient hardware, but that requires time and expertise. 

I oddly enjoy getting games to run on underspec'd hardware, so I don't consider myself a snob.  My PC has a 7+ year old hardware and it still meets my needs, because I'm not playing many new AAA games.  Heck, the PS4 is nearly 10 years old and it could keep going, as a platform for less demanding games, for a while. 

On a general note: I still want the Amico to come out.  I enjoyed talking to a bunch of Amico supporters, when the sub-forum was active, and I absolutely want them to get their product and have fun with it.  I'd also like the product to get a fair hearing in the wider community (press, YT, etc.). I always thought that it was possible that it might find a niche with "hyper-wholesome". 

Edited by Tommy2D
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Tommy2D said:

Could a film maker charge you full price but send a keychain with a download code, with the hope of eventually producing a film?  Or, being a bit silly: could Cracker Jack sell empty boxes with plastic toys, along with a coupon that might be redeemable for the popcorn and nuts, later?

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/art/nft-most-ridiculous-items

Atari SA makes this list. Obviously :)

• Haha 2

Well ... Kick us all in the ass!!  Lol.  Anyone see this coming?? Not me!

Good for them.  I hope they stay on track and have gotten the managerial bugs worked out as well.  

John makes for a great presentation man.  Calm, relaxed voice ... And a marketable look.  

The new Dealer from LV Blackjackn & Poker.  Lol. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, youxia said:

NFTs are a whole different ball game.  To my feeble brain, it seems like when people would "buy" a star.  At least, those usually came with a handsome certificate ?

Edited by Tommy2D
  • Haha 1