IGNORED

Is the Amico dead?

Tinman

21 minutes ago, DavidD said:

You know, they could probably cover some of their costs by releasing some of their stuff on the Switch... you know, just until they actually release their own system.  Any day now.

The Irony of that would be delicious.  They basically deny the Switch even Exists.  Any mention of it in some of those early forums were met with hostility and MARKET RESEARCH. 

Amico fans would never Decide. To. Buy. A. Switch.  Silly human.  MARKET RESEARCH.  Can you do Family Friendly Couch Co-op Multiplayer on a Switch?  Yeah, ...might as well buy a used Wii.  Ha!! No one would ever do that.  ... and No one will ever save up more for a PS5.  Whole different market...Amico fans only want an Amico.  MARKET RESEARCH proves it!  Do you have MARKET RESEARCH?   That's what I thought.

And don't worry about Money,  we have Millions...

(Paraphrased...Since I'm going off of memory here)

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, DavidD said:

You know, they could probably cover some of their costs by releasing some of their stuff on the Switch... you know, just until they actually release their own system.  Any day now.

It'd all get lost in the eshop shovelware. Valve apparently charges very little to release a game on Steam, but that's infested with even more shovelware.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

It'd all get lost in the eshop shovelware. Valve apparently charges very little to release a game on Steam, but that's infested with even more shovelware.

To be brutally honest, most of these games look like shovelware, so it'd be quite fitting.

And that was always my biggest problem with this venture. As an allegedly "hardcore" gamer I wouldn't bother with any of these titles, with exception of maybe Breakout and Night Stalker. And for a casual gamer, there is already zillion and one similar games available out there, be it on mobile, PC, or console, and which are often free and do not require buying a >250 USD box.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, youxia said:

To be brutally honest, most of these games look like shovelware, so it'd be quite fitting.

And that was always my biggest problem with this venture. As an allegedly "hardcore" gamer I wouldn't bother with any of these titles, with exception of maybe Breakout and Night Stalker. And for a casual gamer, there is already zillion and one similar games available out there, be it on mobile, PC, or console, and which are often free and do not require buying a >250 USD box.

Typically I'd say "we'll see", but at this rate we probably won't, so...

However, if they want to finish that PC Breakout demo and put it on Steam, or, better, GOG, insta-buy.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

6 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

Maybe a visit the Shark Tank is needed. 

By the sounds of the deal they cut with investors in the SEC filings... it appears that they not only secretly visited the Shark Tank... but fell in and were devoured.  $100 a unit?  Those are terms that speak "we want our money back in the first run of production".   That's not a long-term investor.

Time will tell.  It was good to see John as the spokesperson.  He does a very good job of it regardless if the unit is pre- post- actual- production.  He wasn't really selling the idea like Tommy would.  It was a simple "here's what we have so far..." video.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

The Irony of that would be delicious.  They basically deny the Switch even Exists.  Any mention of it in some of those early forums were met with hostility and MARKET RESEARCH. 

Amico fans would never Decide. To. Buy. A. Switch.  Silly human.  MARKET RESEARCH.  Can you do Family Friendly Couch Co-op Multiplayer on a Switch?  Yeah, ...might as well buy a used Wii.  Ha!! No one would ever do that.  ... and No one will ever save up more for a PS5.  Whole different market...Amico fans only want an Amico.  MARKET RESEARCH proves it!  Do you have MARKET RESEARCH?   That's what I thought.

And don't worry about Money,  we have Millions...

With 600 yrs of combined experience who would dare question their market research?   

Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more demos and other bite size experiences released on mobile to help get the brand out there.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

You throw in a 'DATA' or two and it would be perfect. ?

The video was "okay". Box to me is a nothing burger but I know some people like that stuff. I think my biggest issue is this video is still a way to keep people on the hook and more importantly try to hook more investors.

This still isn't a production ready unit. One of the pack in games was in debug mode on the console. The store isn't ready. There was no shipping or manufacturing date either. It's just a box. ?‍♂️

metal-gear-solid-mgs.gif.0c2345322f6720ed71ab4d51eb2e956e.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, kevtris said:

Also in the SEC filing, it talks about how $100 of every amico sold goes to one of the members of the board to repay a loan that Intellivision was given.  It sounds like they are going to lose a lot of money on every unit sold until this loan is paid back (around 6700 units).  So even if preorders are made and sold, Intellivision will have actually lost money.

That loan is about the right amount to pay for the manufacturing of the founders editions, maybe more.  Paying back a loan does not mean a loss, it would essentially be paying for the components and manufacturing, i.e. a manufacturing loan.  As you pointed out there could be a long lead time plus shipping for parts orders, delaying production.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

I'm going to use a phrase that's popular right now and call this my 'airport post'.  I'm noping right out of here because this discussion is ridiculous.

My parents told me it's not good to nope out of funerals, though...

In all serious, though, there's nothing that any of us can do but wait to see what happens or choose to intentionally donate several million USD to Intellivision to bail them out. I don't actively check anything about the system aside from whatever emails Intellivision sends, which are rather rare, and now this thread, so maybe something important will happen and I won't see it. Apparently they have only a few months left until they go bankrupt and stop existing or whatever. I don't know. I suppose we'll all find out something by the end of the year at the latest.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

In all serious, though, there's nothing that any of us can do but wait to see what happens or choose to intentionally donate several million USD to Intellivision to bail them out. I don't actively check anything about the system aside from whatever emails Intellivision sends, which are rather rare, and now this thread, so maybe something important will happen and I won't see it. Apparently they have only a few months left until they go bankrupt and stop existing or whatever. I don't know. I suppose we'll all find out something by the end of the year at the latest.

Well said and I agree.

51 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

Well said and I agree.

One of the disadvantages of being a realist is that I am a realist. We'll see. Not much else we can do. At this point my opinion of the Amico is that I feel like a tire that's partially deflated but mostly still functional, or maybe like when you go fishing for sharks and you throw your line out with a huge chunk of meat on it but the meat gets torn ragged by the smaller fish while you're waiting for a shark to take it, but there's still somehow enough meat left on it to actually attract a shark. Perhaps a strange way to describe it, but I think it mostly works.

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

One of the disadvantages of being a realist is that I am a realist. We'll see. Not much else we can do. At this point my opinion of the Amico is that I feel like a tire that's partially deflated but mostly still functional, or maybe like when you go fishing for sharks and you throw your line out with a huge chunk of meat on it but the meat gets torn ragged by the smaller fish while you're waiting for a shark to take it, but there's still somehow enough meat left on it to actually attract a shark. Perhaps a strange way to describe it, but I think it mostly works.

That analogy works for me. Real people trying real hard to make a real product to fill a real niche (a niche that is not made to cater to us on this AA forum). The Global Foundries CEO is on CNBC now talking about how far behind the US is on semiconductor-centric production capacity, not to mention continuing Asia supply chain problems. If Microsoft and Apple can't get the tech parts they need, imagine how hard it is for Intellivision Inc. which has about .000000001% of their capital/clout.

I think the idea of the Amico is solid, but the timing is not in the company's favor. Let's hope the meat is wagyu beef.

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I hope not since the PSU is for the US. ?

If it's a multi-voltage PSU, they can just toss in a regional travel adapter.  They could always silkscreen "Amico", on all of the adapters, and even sell them individually! 

Collect 'em all! 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I haven't preordered anything, choosing to take a wait-and-see approach, yet they still send me emails. I'd very much like to know how they got my email and who gave it to them.

Edited by JohnPCAE

6 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

By the sounds of the deal they cut with investors in the SEC filings... it appears that they not only secretly visited the Shark Tank... but fell in and were devoured.  $100 a unit?  Those are terms that speak "we want our money back in the first run of production".   That's not a long-term investor.

Time will tell.  It was good to see John as the spokesperson.  He does a very good job of it regardless if the unit is pre- post- actual- production.  He wasn't really selling the idea like Tommy would.  It was a simple "here's what we have so far..." video.

It may not have been done in secret... It just could have been "not tv worthy", so their segment never made it to air. 

Which would say a lot. Even people that go on there and are not given a deal gain a huge upswing in sales.  It is basically their 15 minutes of fame and a free infomercial.  But IE doesn't have a product to sale, yet, so they wouldn't gain from going on the show without getting a deal. 

I've not watched the show very much, but I do recall from when the prospect has other investors then the Shark Tank members tend to stay away. 

3 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

It may not have been done in secret... It just could have been "not tv worthy", so their segment never made it to air. 

Which would say a lot. Even people that go on there and are not given a deal gain a huge upswing in sales.  It is basically their 15 minutes of fame and a free infomercial.  But IE doesn't have a product to sale, yet, so they wouldn't gain from going on the show without getting a deal. 

I've not watched the show very much, but I do recall from when the prospect has other investors then the Shark Tank members tend to stay away. 

No  -they definitely went on Shark Tank Battle. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

That is my main issue with this video.  For those just coming in and don't know about INTV's current financial situation they would assume this console is getting close to release when its clearly not. 

INTV is (or was) a different company. 

The Amico was dreamed up by Intellivision Entertainment (or IE for short) 

Has IE been referring to themselves as INTV? I wouldn't think so, but I've not followed them so maybe I am incorrect. 

• Like 3