IGNORED

Is the Amico dead?

Tinman

Just for fun went to the HDMI consortium page to check if Amico or Intellivision was a registered adopter (which is kind of mandatory if you want to use the HDMI connector) and nope, I can't find either Amico or Intellivision, by contrast Atari VCS is there as well as AtGames and of course Analogue .... do we know if the Amico uses an HDMI connector or some other contraption?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I didn't know much about this thing but I decided to look into it and man what a shit show. Sometimes when your really close to something you cant see it for what it is, but as an outsider there's nothing here.  My best guess is they want to sell the company off but there's nothing for a smart buyer to purchase.  Guys a lot of their financials are public and it's bad.  I wouldn't even worry about Amico because Intellivision won't survive as a company much longer.  Even if they did release Amico it won't be supported for long. 

I'd love to see their business plan and sales models to see what they were thinking and how they planned on turning a profit, because I personally don't see it. Sorry guys but this thing has been dead for a long time. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hey, I was a regular in that other thread until many months ago. I didn't know anything but the drama and no real information coming from  the company and umm... (I'm not sure what the rules are about mentioning him. LOL) things just felt off and I got bored. But I gave up after the end of the year release miss. I also haven't gotten any refund back.

I remember making an offhand joke a long time ago about how this sounds like the Homer Car... Little did I know it was more of a vanity project that I thought.

Edited by Blarneo
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

They couldn't charge my expired credit card,so after 7 attempts by Gamestop they canceled my preorder. 

Wherever else will I be able to get my purple Amico?

Whoas me,my heavens!!!?

Screenshot_20220405-120236_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Wolfy is officially a HaTeR now. ??

• Haha 5

18 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

I had pre-ordered the Black VIP, but then saw that Purple one and it made me a bit jealous.   It may seem silly to pay $50 extra for a different color, but I would pay the premium for that one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

I had pre-ordered the Black VIP, but then saw that Purple one and it made me a bit jealous.   It may seem silly to pay $50 extra for a different color, but I would pay the premium for that one.

Did gamestop charge you in full yet?

2 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

Nah,I just don't want Gamestop taking my money for an item I may never receive. 

Problem solved!

Thats what a hater would say, now get back to Gamestop and preorder a new one!  

• Haha 7

10 minutes ago, Rev said:

Did gamestop charge you in full yet?

Mine wasn't Gamestop, it was the "$100 deposit required" pre-order through IE.  Unless I missed the memo, I ordered before the purple was announced, because I thought of cancelling and changing it up a bit when I later saw the purple.

And in case anyone is curious, yes, I got a the refund quite some time ago.  It wasn't as simple and smooth as I think it should have been (I had to involve my bank and send multiple emails) but they refunded it.

• Like 1

Amico Guidebook on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Intellivision-Amico-Guidebook-2020/dp/B09NRB3YPK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1QIIB4985PM95&keywords=intellivision+amico&qid=1649192779&sprefix=intellivision+amico%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-3

a user review -  

The Dorkzide
5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate guide to the Amico
Reviewed in the United States on December 22, 2021
Verified Purchase
This book is a must have for anyone interested in the Intellivision Amico. It's a riveting tale detailing every Amico game released for the last year. A great keepsake for gaming history!
2 people found this helpful

another review -

DS
1.0 out of 5 stars This not a book.
Reviewed in the United States on December 24, 2021

It is not clear to me as to what exactly this product is, but it most certainly is not a book. It is a set of empty pages being sold as a book by a person that appears to be seriously sick and a lot of time on his hands.
4 people found this helpful

• Haha 8
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, roadrunner said:

Amico Guidebook on Amazon

That's actually kind of funny, in my opinion.  I mean, I'm not gonna buy it, but a book that's printed on the outside but mostly empty inside isn't that much different from the physical "games" that were sold, so I can see it having some merit to collectors who are ok with parting ways with 5 bucks for a giggle.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Razzie.P said:

That's actually kind of funny, in my opinion.  I mean, I'm not gonna buy it, but a book that's printed on the outside but mostly empty inside isn't that much different from the physical "games" that were sold, so I can see it having some merit to collectors who are ok with parting ways with 5 bucks for a giggle.

Does it say "FIRST!" on the first page? If not then I'm not buying.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

They couldn't charge my expired credit card,so after 7 attempts by Gamestop they canceled my preorder. 

Whoas me,my heavens!!!?

Screenshot_20220405-120236_Yahoo Mail.jpg

i have current payment details, and mine was still cancelled I think gamestop is done with it

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lathe26 said:

I'm surprised I'm going to be the first one to say it:  The Amico isn't dead, it's in a quiet period.

You hit the nail firmly on the head!!!  And thanks for a classic MP!  Loved it!

• Like 2

Just heard on my local AM radio news channel on the way into work...

Due to the new Covid variant, lock downs in China and other global issues.  Chip orders are now backed up to minimum 6 months!

So there's the out for them.  It was all because of chip wait times and shortages. 

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

Due to the new Covid variant, lock downs in China and other global issues.  Chip orders are now backed up to minimum 6 months!

So there's the out for them.  It was all because of chip wait times and shortages. 

Except the software isn't ready either.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

They are still using that.

8 minutes ago, Agillig said:

Except the software isn't ready either.

This is a very big problem.

As indicated by the HDMI thing and lack of FCC they aren't ready even if they have all the chips. There is no reason to hold off if they are truly ready to flip the switch.

On 4/3/2022 at 11:07 PM, Rev said:

I remember they had a 10 million dollar marketing campaign lined up. You couldnt of been more wrong!!!  ?. They also have  celebrities waiting to help promote. 

Skip to 1 hour 47 min:

$10 million is a pretty small sum of money if you're trying to target mainstream audiences. Nintendo undoubtedly spent multiples of that to push the Wii U and that obviously didn't move the needle much. With what they've shown, I suspect Intellivision would see similar yields on their ad spend. The good news is that if you don't release a product, you don't have to buy commercial time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1