IGNORED

Is the Amico dead?

Tinman

For all NEW orders, NO deposit will be required until we finalize and announce a manufacturing date.

That is how it should have been for a long time, at least until they had 'x' number of units ready to ship before accepting deposits. The majority of their funding arose from the Fig/Republic investors, so the refundable $100 deposits for fewer than 6,000 units in 3 years doesn't go very far and could've just been waived to save a lot of consumer remorse and concern with the now 4x delayed system.

And, it gives us a good sense around initial order volume, which in turn, helps us with our new supply chain agreements.

Severely flawed logic. Allowing anyone to sign-up for free with no financial commitment to follow-through is not a good gauge of interest especially if submitting such figures to potential manufacturers or investors. A much stronger fall-off is likely to occur when those users are ultimately asked to pay $290-$340 at an unknown point in the future, compared to those who had already committed $100 to it and have less to pay in total.

The true "sense around initial order volume" should've been from their actual pre-order and purchase order counts. That is what was highly publicized in articles at the time, that they had secured $25,000,000 in pre-orders and purchase-orders ("Intellivision has received more than 10,000 preorders for the VIP version of the Amico...Major retailers have also placed purchase orders for more than 100,000 retail units.") ?

• Like 4

On 4/7/2022 at 8:26 PM, masschamber said:

got an email from GameStop explaining that the item was  canceled by the vendor

shame, as I was really looking forward to it because I like silly novelties like it was shaping up to be (though probably not supposed to be) oh well,  if they manage to limp something out the gate, I'll buy one still (fully aware it will fail+ underdeliver, don't care)

I have to ask .... why?

You can send your money directly to them if you want to support in spite of anything etc... etc.... why would you buy no matter what or as you say "don't care"?

What is it that you expect to buy? Something from Intellivision to reconnect to years bygone? Something from Tommy that I suppose sold you on the idea?

There are tons of ways to throw one's money away, why this one? 

And I really don't care where you decide to put your money, I really try to understand why such an extreme position of "I'll buy it anyway even if it may electrocute me" (I know I added the second part for dramatic purposes).

One thing I learnt about "people" (me included) is that we hate being wrong and rather than admit and rectify at times we get so entangled with emotions and disbelief that we may have been wrong all along that we'd rather drive all the way against that wall face first rather than course correct, let the emotions calm down and regain some modicum of rationality and rethink all our strategy. There are impulse purchases, there are irrational purchases, there are drunk purchases but that doesn't mean one has to make them as a matter of pride ... or maybe I don't understand your angle hence the question.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Man you have missed out on a lot of great gaming...

do hope you enjoy your Switch. It reinvigorated my love for gaming. Their first party games are always top notch and the indies... Some of the more retro budget games I like are Ding Dong XL  and Super Bit Blaster XL.

Whoa!  Whoa!!  

FAMILY FRIENDLY!!   FAMILY FRIENDLY!!

:rolling:

• Haha 5

I wonder how many of those "purchase orders" stand after years of delays and having multiple major retailers delete their product listings. Gonna be some interesting conversations with the totally existent ultra wealthy investor who will swoop in to save the day.

"Weren't you doing a Gamestop exclusive limited edition?"

"Yeah, but not anymore."

"What happened?"

"We ghosted them for months on end and made no effort to tell them we couldn't make the placeholder date set in their system.  That day came and they began automatically charging customers despite having no inventory. Gamestop management eventually realized this, cancelled the orders and pulled Amico from its database."

If this is what 600 years of industry experience delivers, the companies who ship products must have millions of years under their belts. Maybe even 4.5 billion.

Edited by SoloZolo
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Pink said:

It's so fascinating going back and reading old posts in hindsigh that Tommy has made in regards to the Amico with everything we know now. 

The best way to read any of his posts. It is a magic way to remove all puffery.

Screenshot_20220409-065028_Chrome.thumb.jpg.774e56ed777a7f0673b1c3d284c7b604.jpg

6 hours ago, MattPilz said:

That is how it should have been for a long time, at least until they had 'x' number of units ready to ship before accepting deposits. The majority of their funding arose from the Fig/Republic investors, so the refundable $100 deposits for fewer than 6,000 units in 3 years doesn't go very far and could've just been waived to save a lot of consumer remorse and concern with the now 4x delayed system.

That $100 deposit oddly matches up to that one loan in which the guy gets $100 from each Amico. Iirc it was in the amount of 6000ish consoles. Which is the number of consoles they now admit to having instead of the 13,000 as said by Fig.

4 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Whoa!  Whoa!!  

FAMILY FRIENDLY!!   FAMILY FRIENDLY!!

:rolling:

I've been told I'm a ding-a-ling. :P

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Rev said:

Mr Me like playing the role of a contrarian, or devils advocate. I will commend him for not name calling, cursing, or personal attacks. Unlike previous people that used to post here. Keep up the good work Mr Me, without you, it would be a circle jerk in here.

And thats sad, because this is an Intellivision forum and From what I can tell, Amico is losing support from what was supposed to be the base supporters, people exactly like me. Life long Intellivision fan, nuclear family with kids, modern and retro gaming fan, a consumer of tons of games and systems.   But if Amico does manage to actually release one day, Ill purchase several systems. 

The Lion King What GIF

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

I have to ask .... why?

You can send your money directly to them if you want to support in spite of anything etc... etc.... why would you buy no matter what or as you say "don't care"?

What is it that you expect to buy? Something from Intellivision to reconnect to years bygone? Something from Tommy that I suppose sold you on the idea?

There are tons of ways to throw one's money away, why this one? 

And I really don't care where you decide to put your money, I really try to understand why such an extreme position of "I'll buy it anyway even if it may electrocute me" (I know I added the second part for dramatic purposes).

One thing I learnt about "people" (me included) is that we hate being wrong and rather than admit and rectify at times we get so entangled with emotions and disbelief that we may have been wrong all along that we'd rather drive all the way against that wall face first rather than course correct, let the emotions calm down and regain some modicum of rationality and rethink all our strategy. There are impulse purchases, there are irrational purchases, there are drunk purchases but that doesn't mean one has to make them as a matter of pride ... or maybe I don't understand your angle hence the question.

What difference does it make to you?  

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Some people want shelf decor with titles of things they liked long ago. Even if it isn't related beyond the name of something they liked from long ago. 

Ill get Amico one day to play Night Stalker, if that game ever finally gets finished. 

Im not liking the new prices. It means i probably wont get multiple consoles now. 

Edited by Rev
  • Like 2

A better question is why does it bother some people if other people want to talk about Amico?

Hit the ignore button. Just takes a second. 

Albert has chosen to let this thread live. 

F76601CE-0897-45FF-A593-BF5A3C9A04C6.jpeg

Edited by Rev
  • Thanks 4

35 minutes ago, Rev said:

A better question is why does it bother some people if other people want to talk about Amico?

Hit the ignore button. Just takes a second. 

Albert has chosen to let this thread live. 

F76601CE-0897-45FF-A593-BF5A3C9A04C6.jpeg

Yes, we are letting it live for now.  Some of us just simply can't click on ignore user or ignore topic. ?

Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 7.15.32 AM.png

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

Yes, we are letting it live for now.  Some of us just simply can't click on ignore user or ignore topic. ?

Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 7.15.32 AM.png

It is actually difficult to hit that ignore button, that feeling that you are missing out on something! 

?

I've seen enough BS to know that even if this thing comes out, it's doomed from the start.  I can now add to the growing list of why I shouldn't get an Amico even if it does come out:

1. My color of choice is the black Tron looking console.  They are now not producing/taking orders for it.

2. My retail of choice is Gamestop/Amazon.  They have both pulled out because IE supposedly told them to.  Well if they were told by IE to pull out that must mean IE will be the only ones selling the console and in limited supply, or IE doesn't think they will make enough to send out to retail and stop producing them shortly after.

4. With all these "games" they intend to make and software developers pulling out, why should I believe any of the games I want to play in the future will be made?

I could go on longer, but it just frustrates me even more.  This is the kind of stuff I expected from other consoles regarding the higher prices and one controller, but they just shot themselves in the foot as far as I'm concerned.  I will go back to playing my classic Intellivision and plan for getting a Switch later this year.  At least I will have more than 5 years of games already in the pipeline to try.  I've waited 4 years for an Amico and to get where we are today is just unacceptable.  They may blame Covid, but I blamer a poor use of investor funds and lack of direction.  This really is dragging the Intellivision name through the mud.  I can't even imagine what Keith Robinson would say about this if he was still with us...

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, atarifan88 said:

I can't even imagine what Keith Robinson would say about this if he was still with us...

I think about Keith Robinson a lot when discussing Amico. I can't imagine he would be too happy to see how IE tarnished the Intellivision name through these past couple of years.  The wrong people bought the rights to the Intellivision name, I think we can all agree to that.  Hopefully the INTV name and IP gets sold off to someone more capable that can do something good with the brand. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Some people want shelf decor with titles of things they liked long ago. Even if it isn't related beyond the name of something they liked from long ago. 

MrBeefy, this isn't meant to be a direct reply to you personally, but it did make me think of something.  If all collectors do is put it on the shelf to admire it, I see that as wasting money.  Consoles and video games are meant to be played!  If you want to see it on a shelf collecting dust, go to the Video Game Museum in Texas! ?

image.jpeg.f8a120f4c793289870243f6e3bc41059.jpeg

Edited by atarifan88
  • Haha 3