IGNORED

Is the Amico dead?

Tinman

16 minutes ago, SoloZolo said:

$10 million is a pretty small sum of money if you're trying to target mainstream audiences. Nintendo undoubtedly spent multiples of that to push the Wii U and that obviously didn't move the needle much. With what they've shown, I suspect Intellivision would see similar yields on their ad spend. The good news is that if you don't release a product, you don't have to buy commercial time.

I think you've got to be careful when comparing with the Wii U. Although a flop by Nintendo's standards, its 13 million sales would have been a massive win for anyone outside the big three. It's also a pretty good machine to own, at least if you pick one up with realistic expectations, the library contains many exclusive gems.

A more appropriate comparison would be the Ouya. That shifted around 200,000 units, boasted a library of over a thousand games, and had an online store that lasted for six years. It was still an abject failure though, and even the most optimistic projections for the Amico still had it falling well short of those numbers.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

I think you've got to be careful when comparing with the Wii U. Although a flop by Nintendo's standards, its 13 million sales would have been a massive win for anyone outside the big three. It's also a pretty good machine to own, at least if you pick one up with realistic expectations, the library contains many exclusive gems.

A more appropriate comparison would be the Ouya. That shifted around 200,000 units, boasted a library of over a thousand games, and had an online store that lasted for six years. It was still an abject failure though, and even the most optimistic projections for the Amico still had it falling well short of those numbers.

I think that's a disservice to Ouya. It did way better than this. They can't seem to break 10k units even.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

I think that's a disservice to Ouya. It did way better than this. They can't seem to break 10k units even.

Absolutely. That even the glorious failure of the Ouya is in a different league above what the Amico could hope to accomplish was the point I was driving for.

42 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Isn't the Ouya having sort of a resurgence or something? I recall something to the effect that they'd hacked it and opened it up again for use outside the long-dead servers.

Yeah, there was a community replacement store up about six months after the official one went down. Many of the developers have made their games free and there's arguably never been a better time to own one.

You also got root access and the ability to sideload apps, so they also made for a decent cheep and cheerful emulator box, outperforming the original Raspberry Pi and modded Xbox. You've got better options these days though.

That's the thing with all these devices. No matter how doomed they are from a commercial perspective, there's always the potential for the community to step up and make something out of them. It's a lot easier when they don't launch as a closed platform and need to be hacked though.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, roadrunner said:

Amico Guidebook on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Intellivision-Amico-Guidebook-2020/dp/B09NRB3YPK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1QIIB4985PM95&keywords=intellivision+amico&qid=1649192779&sprefix=intellivision+amico%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-3

a user review -  

The Dorkzide
5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate guide to the Amico
Reviewed in the United States on December 22, 2021
Verified Purchase
This book is a must have for anyone interested in the Intellivision Amico. It's a riveting tale detailing every Amico game released for the last year. A great keepsake for gaming history!
2 people found this helpful

another review -

DS
1.0 out of 5 stars This not a book.
Reviewed in the United States on December 24, 2021

It is not clear to me as to what exactly this product is, but it most certainly is not a book. It is a set of empty pages being sold as a book by a person that appears to be seriously sick and a lot of time on his hands.
4 people found this helpful

Signed by Tony TGD.  That should bump up the value! ??

11 hours ago, SoloZolo said:

$10 million is a pretty small sum of money if you're trying to target mainstream audiences. Nintendo undoubtedly spent multiples of that to push the Wii U and that obviously didn't move the needle much. With what they've shown, I suspect Intellivision would see similar yields on their ad spend. The good news is that if you don't release a product, you don't have to buy commercial time.

It is a small amount, so they'd have to spend it strategically.  Looks like part of their strategy would be social media influencers.  It's why they had the former NBC exec on board, to find these people.

26 minutes ago, mr_me said:

It is a small amount, so they'd have to spend it strategically.  Looks like part of their strategy would be social media influencers.  It's why they had the former NBC exec on board, to find these people.

Im pretty sure this person is no longer affiliated with I.E. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

What, 31 pages of wasted time, typing ASCII characters already?  Amazing how little value people still put on their time on this forsaken planet. ?

Here are some ASCII characters for you!!!! :mad:

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

• Haha 5

48 minutes ago, Rev said:

Im pretty sure this person is no longer affiliated with I.E. 

Probably contracted on a commission basis.  They wouldn't need those influencers or a $10M marketing budget for a while having shifted to a softlaunch.

Edited by mr_me

11 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Probably contracted on a commission basis.  They wouldn't need those influencers or a $10M marketing budget for a while having shifted to a softlaunch.

Is a softlaunch actually confirmed directly from Intellivision Entertainment?

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

It's confirmed that they shifted strategies to a softlaunch. 

Where has this been stated?  And did it come directly from Intellivision Entertainment?  And if so, what exactly are they planning?  Please provide a link or links.

..Al

• Like 6

This is an archive of the official launch dates/info compiled over time from Intellivision.com as it changes. 

Of course there is other info in other random low level youtube interviews, maybe via the official newsletter. 

But as far as “official”, this is about all there is. As of right now there is NO official launch date or launch window. 

FCC has still not passed. 

92FCCABC-9F47-41D3-816C-1A3A7E013B90.jpeg

Edited by Rev
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

This is an archive of the official launch dates/info compiled over time from Intellivision.com as it changes.

Thank you.  I don't see anything about a "soft launch" there, just more moving of goalposts. 

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

Of course there is other info in other random low level youtube interviews, maybe via the official newsletter. 

I'd be interested in seeing any additional information coming directly from IE, versus people just speculating because they remain eternally optimistic that this thing will see the light of day.

..Al

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1