IGNORED

Laser Gates Pal Oddity?

SmartSped

So I bought a copy of Laser Gates on eBay because I needed an NTSC copy and got it cheap and since it wasn't a white label I honestly didn't pay much attention to it. But when I got it and tested it the game was in Black and White which I've read could be an indication that it's a Pal game. So for sure, is this a Pal version of Laser Gates? Anyone seen it before?

PXL_20220318_133420509.MP.jpg

It's PAL. You can tell that by looking at the spacing between the bars in the "instrument panel" in the lower half of the screen. The NTSC version has them much closer together.

The B&W thing is due to the modern multistandard TV: it sees that the picture is 50Hz and switches to PAL mode, but since the console is NTSC, the resulting image is in B&W.

If you try on a old CRT, you'll see (wrong) colors and the image will most likely roll.

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, alex_79 said:

but since the console is NTSC, the resulting image is in B&W

But the console doesn't make the picture B&W in case of odd scanlines. It's the PAL TV who does that. Also all known Laser Gates dumps display an even scanline count.

@SmartSped Your TV is a normal NTSC TV, right?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

13 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

But the console doesn't make the picture B&W in case of odd scanlines. It's the PAL TV who does that. Also all known Laser Gates dumps display an even scanline count.

This is a different issue:

PAL color loss happens with an odd number of scanlines, with a PAL console connected to a PAL TV.

Here instead we have a NTSC console connected to a modern TV, which appears to be multistandard. The software in the TV sees a 50Hz signal and switches to PAL mode. It's like having a NTSC console connected to a PAL TV: the color information is in the wrong format and so you only see the "luma" component of the signal.

In other words, the TV software is the culprit, not the console. It's "confused" by the non standard NTSC-50 signal. Other TVs might behave differently.

Edited by alex_79

Totally unrelated, but I find it interesting:

color_carrier.thumb.jpg.291c4dfcbd7b74882e698a14d0b8cf19.jpg

The thin vertical stripes in the picture above are the color information. Normally, you'll see a solid color instead of those, but since the TV fails to to recognize the the color format, it considers them as part of the luma signal and just shows them as such

The background of the instrument panel has no stripes, as it's grey, so there's no color in that area.

If you look closely, you see that the stripes in different areas have the same frequency, but different horizontal offset (e.g. you can compare them with the starting position of the "score" and "energy" text, which are the same). Each offset is a different hue.

The frequency is equal to the NTSC color carrier (~3.58 MHz, which is also the TIA clock, or the Atari 2600 pixel clock), and they're about half the width of a pixel.  

In consoles/computers with a pixel clock which is a multiple of the NTSC color carrier (so at least double the horizontal resolution of the 2600), it is possible to "fake" that color signal by alternating black and white pixels, and that's how "artifact colors" are obtained.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 3:10 AM, alex_79 said:

Totally unrelated, but I find it interesting:

color_carrier.thumb.jpg.291c4dfcbd7b74882e698a14d0b8cf19.jpg

Yes, very interesting. Reminds me of the colour reconstruction from B&W film footage taken off TVs in the 1970s.

They used the dot-patterns on the film to automatically recover the colour from shows which had been lost/destroyed in colour form.

http://www.insell.co.uk/colourisation/Recovery_of_Colour_Information_0-2.htm

• Like 2

Maybe you could have at least tried to read (and possibly understand) what's being discussed.

The game has been identified as PAL, but that wasn't the point. It's the fact that the game was displayed in B&W that was interesting to investigate, as that's not the typical behavior of a 2600 PAL game played on a NTSC console + TV. Or at least it wasn't with CRTs, where the result is usually a rolling color picture.

Besides, the screenshot is 100% proof that the game is PAL. The label, not so much. Mislabeled cartridges *do* exist.

And some people here are simply fascinated by the technical aspects of this hobby. Discussing those aspects is not more overthinking than talking about label variations (which, BTW, *I* find totally uninteresting and not worth my time).

• Like 2