IGNORED

Sierra Flashback w/ Ken & Roberta - Good, Bad & Disappointments

In this video we sit down with Ken & Roberta Williams in their house in Southern California for an exclusive chat about Sierra On-Line games including some of their biggest hits and some of their failures and disappointments. We discuss the making of the popular games like King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry & Phantasmagoria...but also some of the hidden gems and nuggets from Dynamix, Papyrus, Coktel Vision and more. Check it out!

1978007139_Sierra_Memories_Ken_THUMB5SM.thumb.jpg.c6a545b3321c009bc3075f1caa84ef0c.jpg

WATCH >> https://youtu.be/LAemLilaNjk

Edited by Metal Jesus
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

LOL, when I read the title I thought there was going to be a Flashback console for Sierra games - maybe a tiny PC or something!

Um...that would be AMAZING! A mini Dell or Micron Pentium 100 loaded with Sierra games and other classic PC games?! Sign me up! ?

• Like 1

For being one of the more famous people in classic computer gaming history, I was surprised at how approachable Ken was.  I've e-mailed him several times with questions and he's always emailed me back eventually.   I've never had a chance to speak to Roberta, but from what I understand she likes her privacy so that's understandable (plus I imagine she gets bothered more for her prominence of being one of the earliest female game designers).   I'll have to watch this when I get a chance.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tempest said:

For being one of the more famous people in classic computer gaming history, I was surprised at how approachable Ken was.  I've e-mailed him several times with questions and he's always emailed me back eventually.   I've never had a chance to speak to Roberta, but from what I understand she likes her privacy so that's understandable (plus I imagine she gets bothered more for her prominence of being one of the earliest female game designers).   I'll have to watch this when I get a chance.

They really are approachable and very down to earth. We went out to dinner and a lunch, did some shots of tequila and just talked both on camera and off. It was pretty cool. I hadn't seen them since a mid-90s Sierra Christmas Party... yet they treated us like family.

41 minutes ago, Metal Jesus said:

They really are approachable and very down to earth. We went out to dinner and a lunch, did some shots of tequila and just talked both on camera and off. It was pretty cool. I hadn't seen them since a mid-90s Sierra Christmas Party... yet they treated us like family.

You worked for Sierra at one point?

Wasn't there a PC/DOS Flashback device in the planning a few years ago, possibly right before the pandemic? I'm not sure the market demand vs the cost to make one is favourable so perhaps that project didn't move on, regardless if they could license Sierra or other games.

11 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Wasn't there a PC/DOS Flashback device in the planning a few years ago, possibly right before the pandemic? I'm not sure the market demand vs the cost to make one is favourable so perhaps that project didn't move on, regardless if they could license Sierra or other games.

I believe so! And there have been C64 and upcoming Amiga minis...but nothing specific to DOS, which would be killer. I guess that's kinda what the MiSTer turned into...but it would need that classic beige shell to complete it.

Great interview. If you haven’t read Ken’s book, Not All Fairytales Have Happy Endings, it is available for free with Kindle Unlimited (I only found out because I got a cheap deal for KU of less than $3 a month).

https://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Tales-Happy-Endings-Line-ebook/dp/B08KG2XLMR

There are other options as well, PDF, printed copy, etc.

https://kensbook.com/faq/

The book covers the founding of the company to after the sale of the company from mostly Ken’s perspective, with chapters here and there thrown in from other company employees (including Roberta).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2022 at 12:39 PM, Metal Jesus said:

I believe so! And there have been C64 and upcoming Amiga minis...but nothing specific to DOS, which would be killer. I guess that's kinda what the MiSTer turned into...but it would need that classic beige shell to complete it.

The PC Classic has long since been defunct (https://unitetechno.com/dt_catalog/pc-classic/), but the concept is seemingly there for the taking depending on what games you can get onto a unit.

20 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

I remember reading that Roberta was featured on some of the box art.

Some of the earlier stuff was quite risque, like this one LOL!!!! ?

I wonder if she and Ken have any regrets?  LOL!! ? 

LOL 1.jpg

Ken & Roberta talk about this very game in the video...and also a PR department that wasn't exactly thrilled to work with them and their games. I think you'll find the discussion pretty funny. ?

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2022 at 10:13 AM, Metal Jesus said:

In this video we sit down with Ken & Roberta Williams in their house in Southern California for an exclusive chat about Sierra On-Line games including some of their biggest hits and some of their failures and disappointments. We discuss the making of the popular games like King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry & Phantasmagoria...but also some of the hidden gems and nuggets from Dynamix, Papyrus, Coktel Vision and more. Check it out!

1978007139_Sierra_Memories_Ken_THUMB5SM.thumb.jpg.c6a545b3321c009bc3075f1caa84ef0c.jpg

WATCH >> https://youtu.be/LAemLilaNjk

@Metal Jesus, whatever happened to the game Ken Williams was developing on his boat? It’s like it vanished into obscurity.

7 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

If I remember correctly, the Two Guys from Andromeda were also working on a Space Quest-like game, but that project has disappeared too.

Lori and Corey Cole who made the Quest for Glory series rebooted it a few years ago called Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption. I haven't played it but I've heard good things :  https://www.hero-u.com

Edited by Metal Jesus
  • Like 1

Just now, Metal Jesus said:

Lori and Corey Cole who made the Quest for Glory series rebooted it a few years ago called Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption. I haven't played it but I've heard good things :  https://www.hero-u.com

Oh, Hell yes! I had no idea this reboot was developed and published! Thank you again! I’m a big fan of Sierra games, as you can tell.

• Like 1