IGNORED

Most perplexing and frustrating game copy protection/anti piracy methods

Beeblebrox

Reading on another thread about copy protection methods over the years made me think of those I found obscure or downright frustrating, involving weird widgets and codecs that came with the games. 

I'll start off - two in particular spring to mind. 

The first was Fighter Pilot which came with a little plastic widget/view finder which you could adjust the size of as you held it up to the screen to reveal a code through the lil window, that then needed entering. Man that was hit and miss!!! 

Another was Kult which IIRC involved a window template codex, some symbols, lots of frustration rotating said symbols and colour matching to match it all up before you could actually load the game. 

If you misplaced the widgets that was it.. No more gaming!! 

Any others that had obscure widgets and methods that caused moments of computer rage? List em here. 

If you have any pics even better. ?

Edited by Beeblebrox

The most annoying to me was non-repro blue. Back then photocopiers were actually what their name said, and they would take a picture instead of scan to duplicate. The nature of the cameras used made them almost blind to blue, particularly lighter shades. So people took to printing manuals that were light blue on dark blue. Which is freaking almost impossible to read even as a human. I can't remember what DOS game it was that did this, but I ended up getting the charts from a swap meet (somebody had transcribed them by hand and then copied that) because it was SO much better than trying to parse the blue mess.

I cracked Leaderboard.  Wasn't really frustrating or anything though.

It had a dongle which would have been fairly easy for anyone to simulate - simultaneous left/right on joystick 2 which could be achieved by holding both buttons on a set of paddles.

If they'd have gone for up/down at least it would have made things a little bit harder.

Machine Lightning assembler on the C64 was annoying.  From memory there was disk protection but the manual was on red paper that was almost the same luma as the ink.

I tried to transfer it to tape but the inbuilt binary save would substitute zeros for the assembler program area.

That was easily overcome by just doing a routine that copied it to lower memory, then I saved it and adjusted so it loaded to the proper location.

The Thorne/EMI cartridge games - no devices and linear layout.  But I tried to crack a couple and got nowhere.

I don't know how their protection worked - maybe they rendered softsprites to the Rom area or something.

Most carts had some indirection to write to the Rom area at worst, but some were more sophisticated.

Super Cobra I remember not being able to crack properly.  So instead I just added some VBlank code which wrote back the addresses that were being corrupted and it worked.

Edited by Rybags

5 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Had one of those, when I opened it up it had a couple of resistors across the paddle inputs and the

values of the resistors removed, all I did was measure the resistors so easy to "break" 

I made my own to replace a missing one in a English tape copy of Leader Board Golf sent to me as a gift from a friend in England.

I about ran my 1050 into the ground and many wasted hours trying to back up my original Ultima 3 disks, could not get it to work. Was playing and swapping out the disks so much the labels started turning dark from my greasy fingers. Wanted to keep the originals from further degradation and play on the backup.

On 3/18/2022 at 5:25 PM, Rybags said:

I cracked Leaderboard.  Wasn't really frustrating or anything though.

It had a dongle which would have been fairly easy for anyone to simulate - simultaneous left/right on joystick 2 which could be achieved by holding both buttons on a set of paddles.

If they'd have gone for up/down at least it would have made things a little bit harder.

Machine Lightning assembler on the C64 was annoying.  From memory there was disk protection but the manual was on red paper that was almost the same luma as the ink.

I tried to transfer it to tape but the inbuilt binary save would substitute zeros for the assembler program area.

That was easily overcome by just doing a routine that copied it to lower memory, then I saved it and adjusted so it loaded to the proper location.

The Thorne/EMI cartridge games - no devices and linear layout.  But I tried to crack a couple and got nowhere.

I don't know how their protection worked - maybe they rendered softsprites to the Rom area or something.

Most carts had some indirection to write to the Rom area at worst, but some were more sophisticated.

Super Cobra I remember not being able to crack properly.  So instead I just added some VBlank code which wrote back the addresses that were being corrupted and it worked.

Excellent! I just recieved a OEM copy of Leaderboard Golf and was wondering what I could do to bypass the dongle ( next to creating my own ). Well timed and much thanks!

On 3/18/2022 at 7:26 PM, Beeblebrox said:

@marauder666  that was it - awful little widget! ?

Literally the spawn of Satan's loins. 

Hard enough job to get Fighter Pilot to load on cassette on the 800XL as it was and then to be greeted with this, when your using an RF cable on a crappy little colour portable TV your folks picked up dead cheap... 

Cruelty, just plain cruelty. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

It was pretty easy work - from memory just a simple check on PORTA - probably something like:

LDA $D300

AND #$F0

CMP #$30

Not that easy.

1. It was in some 30 places

2. more like

0646: 5D D0 D2          EOR $D2D0,X	# EOR PORTA (X=$30)

1734: 59 52 D2          EOR $D252,Y	# EOR PORTA (Y=$AE)

06BA: 2C 00 D3          BIT PORTA	# 13 occurences

4C7F: AD 00 D3          LDA PORTA	# 9 occurences

0C88: AF 00 D3          LAX PORTA	# 1 occurence

376E: 0D 00 D3          ORA PORTA	# 3 occurences

3ABA: 4D 00 D3          EOR PORTA	# 1 occurence

1BD9: 2E 00 D3          ROL PORTA	# 1 occurence

1F4C: 4E 00 D3          LSR PORTA	# 5 occurences

21D2: 6E 00 D3          ROR PORTA	# 1 occurence