IGNORED

Review of the Apple Macintosh LCIII, It's Too Damn Sexy!

The pizzabox was a perfectly good solution to the "Desk realestate" problem, when CRTs were king.  The CRT had to sit on the desk, and if the pizzabox was not much bigger (footprint wise), it served two roles simultaneously.

1) Elevate the monitor to eye level.
2) Does not consume any additional surface of the desk, or in the foot area.

tower PCs took over because they could ventilate better, and monitors became thin wispy things when LCDs took over.

For an authentic 90s experience, the pizzabox is really where it was at for most computing devices.  Towers were mostly for DIY enthusiasts in the 90s. Most consumer grade devices were pizzaboxes well up to the 2000s.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 8:40 PM, Flojomojo said:

The LCIII was my first color computer. I guess pizza boxes are “sexy,” in a way. Good choice to run Spectre on that machine. 

Don't know about "sexy", but they are pretty slick and cool looking for sure.  Definitely the LCIII with an appropriate monitor is pretty good looking imo.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 11:06 AM, Leonard Smith said:

Too bad this is a Youtube shill post.  

It's getting close to that time. A month later and the OP hasn't come back. This tells me there is no interest in what's being said about the machine and video.

Typical formula with the like, subscribe, comment, get notified begging. And now facebook, patreon  But-hh, I don't like the over-quiet music and that frightening facebook snapping sound at the end. Ugh!! That makes me mad. Not going to watch another of his vids. Not that I didn't skip through this one after downloading outside of youtube.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 10:58 AM, zzip said:

But pizza box PCs had very limited upgrade options

I had a Dell 486 for several years in the mid-1990s, and the lack of space for upgrades was very definitely an issue . There was no internal drive bay to add a CD ROM and only three expansion slots -- I had an original AdLib soundcard, a generic joystick card, and, IIRC, a modem. It was great at first, but soon I ran up against the limitations. 

My next PC was a rather large tower case.