IGNORED

TT ownership

Bee

I found a TT in Germany.  Any words of advice on TT ownership.  I have been looking for 2 years.  I've been thinking of running Mint.  All and any advice is appreciated.  Or should I let the Unicorn go?

Thank you 

Great machines.  Love mine.

Personally, my only issue with getting a German one is the keyboard (but you can use a regular Mega one, so no biggie there).

With the "Natural Disaster Pack" (Thunder/Storm/Lightning and now SpeedyTT) they can be real beasts.

Personally, if you're just looking to play games, might not be worth it to you... but if you're looking for a productivity machine (or for BBSing, programming, etc) can't beat it.

Get yourself a CF/SD drive (either IDE with the NDP or internal SCSI) and then you can have it all.... TOS, MiNT, Minix, System V, Magic... Just swap out the card.

• Like 1

TT is a great machine, but is not the best game machine. I would say, why Mint unless you have a specific reason to run it. I just boot into TOS. If your running applications it’s great, specifically CAD and older Desktop publishing applications. There is also a version of GAF Basic that runs on the TT. There are some nice upgrades, but I’ve always run mine with 4M of ST ram and 16M of TT ram and have never felt a need for more. I have a CaTTamaram accelerator in mine, which I love (SpeedyTT should be a better version). Unlike mikro I like the VGA output, but it works fine with my VGA monitor. If you can still get the adaptor for TT high resolution, get it. It’s awesome and I use mine 80% of the time. 

14 minutes ago, mdivancic said:

TT is a great machine, but is not the best game machine. I would say, why Mint unless you have a specific reason to run it. I just boot into TOS. If your running applications it’s great, specifically CAD and older Desktop publishing applications. There is also a version of GAF Basic that runs on the TT. There are some nice upgrades, but I’ve always run mine with 4M of ST ram and 16M of TT ram and have never felt a need for more. I have a CaTTamaram accelerator in mine, which I love (SpeedyTT should be a better version). Unlike mikro I like the VGA output, but it works fine with my VGA monitor. If you can still get the adaptor for TT high resolution, get it. It’s awesome and I use mine 80% of the time. 

Actually, the best version of the GFA dev environment requires MiNT.  You don't really need to do that to just run the GFA interpreter, but it's a much better experience.

It's the only thing in the Atari Line I haven't used, that I have interest in.  It is the box alone , no keyboard or mouse, but I have a spare keyboard and keyboard adapter.  Mint because it seems the logical extension, but yes I can multiboot.  I have been looking at the RASCSI.  This one shows a screen of ST ram and TT ram 4MB.  I don't understand the difference? 

s-l16006.thumb.jpeg.b40e3740876a0249dccc11d90f8feadc.jpeg

I mainly run Calamus.  But love to play in basic so GFA might be the ticket here.  I don't really game.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Thank you

Edited by Bee

Not all applications can run in TT Ram... some things, like HDDriver can be loaded into TT ram so they don't use up ST ram.

With things like the NDP, you can get USB ports, IDE interfaces and .... up to 256mb of "TT Ram".

If you decide to pass on it, let me know... Wouldn't mind having a second.  My TT is maxed out, but I'd love to have another one to put in a non-TT case and really deck out.

But yeah, especially if gaming isn't your main thing, you're missing out without a TT....

Er.. I mean... TT's suck, let me know the contact info on the seller so I can ....er... chastise him!

The fact that it has TT ram means you can switch out the 4x1MB sims for 4x4MB sims to increase the TT memory. I would open it up first to see what’s inside before you buy anything. When I purchased mine 10 years ago the seller didn’t know it had a CaTTamaram installed, which was a nice bonus. 

20 hours ago, Tillek said:

Are you suggesting he book a flight to Germany? ;)

Would make for a nice trip though.

No, sorry. That was supposed to say before you buy any upgrades check and see what’s inside. I was assuming he would do this once he had it at his location…

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mdivancic said:

No, sorry. That was supposed to say before you buy any upgrades check and see what’s inside. I was assuming he would do this once he had it at his location…

Was just kinda messing with you.

And then......

Funny story.  So I've taken the TT case off before, but never really looked that close.  So this weekend, finally getting around to installing the "Natural Disaster Pack"....

And I look at where I'm going to install the Lightning VME.....

And I find......

A card (I'll try to provide pictures tomorrow) of a thing called the Cyrell Trident.

And Google has failed me.

I knew I had a CaTTamaran.  I knew I had a Cyrell Sunrise video card.

Guy never said anything about a Cyrell Trident... or what the hell it does.

Makes the weekend a bit more interesting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

This *never* happens to me. I've seen other people post about similar experiences

and it always amazes me. In all the years I've been buying, trading, and working

with Atari computers this has never happened to me even once...  /sigh    :)

In this case, I wouldn't call it a good thing.

The thing is useless in its present state so unless I solder jumper headers and a connector, I can't even compare it to "The German Offering".  The installation means I can't install lightning (the 2 cables from the motherboard to the vme back plane were shortened so I'll have to replace them).  My biggest fear is that it's necessary for the CaTTamaran, but it doesn't look like it is.  I'm just confused why the original owner installed it, and didn't do anything with it.

Or maybe I'm totally missing something.

Of course it does create one interesting possibility.  Some kind of much smaller combined lightning + ide board that would make more room for another gadget where the Thunder & Storm live.

So TT030, a fun swiss army knife of Atari computers.   Neat ways to add memory, video cards.  Such power.

Get the right monitor or adapter, has a really cool monochrome resolution.   

Works with SOME of the ST games.

A "workstation" describes the TT030 best.   A place to work graphics, publishing, CADD drawings, applications.

I wonder...do P.Pera's hard drive adapted games work on the TT?

I know most of his adaptations work on my Pak 68/3 equipped STacy,

which, while not a TT030, does have a 68030 as well as TOS v3.06.

So I'm curious. Any current TT owners want to try his games and

report back?

Thanks.  :)

25 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Well, it was at least $60, but could've been hundreds more, depending on how high the winner was willing to go

It is strange how much people will over bid, I was bidding for an 800XL some time ago, posted as not working,

in a bit of a state, selling for spares only, probably only worth around £50, I stopped at £52, it eventually

went for £110 + £15 postage, I eventually got a nice working one for £68+Postage (smiles all round :) )