Tod frye

2600 dev on chromebook?

Hi folks. I have been mostly using a Chromebook recently, and i am curious to see if emulators and assemblers are available for an ARM based Chromebook. 

Stella coding in ARM Linux?

This would be nice :)

• Like 3

Since are coding anyway, maybe you could help adapting Stella for the Chromebook?

Hello Tod,

I think, I can help with that, since I've build Stella for several architectures. But I don't have a chromebook, so I can't do a "holding hands" approach. What I've seen so far that there are ways to get an environment that's capable of running the command line and the package manager "apt".

Once you've got that, I can help you with a more current version of Stella than what's available in the official apt repository and the assembler that's been mostly used here (dasm).

And about 2600 coding on ARM in general: that's no problem, I've done this quite some time on a couple of Raspberry Pis over the years.

Hope this helps,

SvOlli

• Like 2

@SvOlli Thanks for offering your support. And I am sure you can get it working.

But the current Stella team cannot maintain any more platforms on top of the existing ones. So what we need here is long term support for Stella on Chromebooks. Some volunteer(s) who make sure, that the version for Chromebooks gets updated when a new version of Stella is released. Either by becoming a member of the core Stella team or as an external supporter.

You might be able to cobble something together from Box86 and WINE  Basically, use x86 Windows dev tools.

https://github.com/ptitSeb/box86

WINE sometimes has issues with translating paths/directories.  So, even with Box86 & WINE compiled and installed correctly it's a long shot.