IGNORED

New 3D (homebrew) game

phoboz

Some people got a little bit worried when I announced Shadow Kingdom (see below)

- Stay calm, I am working on 3D!

Unfortunately I had to capture this using smartphone and sound trough headphones. Because 3D games does not run in Atari Jaguar emulators, e.g. I have to run it on a real Jaguar.

Apparently you have to wait a lot longer for this 3D game than for the other game I announced. So I wanted to give you something in between:

PS. I hope you recognize the ship from the first Atari Jaguar game I made e.g. Wormhole 2000?

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Quite cool. Texture mapped objects look sublime. If you can keep the frame rate high this could be a very worthwhile 3d game. 

Who said 3d has to look ugly on Jag? ;-)

Sam Tramiel, I believe. At least, I assume he said that and felt that to his core based on releases.

• Haha 2

I can't even imagine how bad things would have been if the Jaguar hadn't gotten Doom. That was a must. The 32X got a port a week before the Jag's official release (although Atari's distribution channels were already breaking down worldwide by November 1994, so the Atari version didn't land in some US markets until just before Christmas). Super Nintendo got Doom less than a year later, perhaps one of the 5 million nails in the Jaguar's coffin. Parents go to the store in 1995, see SNES with recognizable games (or games in general) at half the price. Doom is there for a console that's nearly 1/3 the price of the Jag at this point.

Sam also paid for the right to say Mortal Kombat 3 was coming to the system (even though that was never going to happen). It's important to note that I'm not saying or think that Sam's a drooling moron. He recognized what was absolutely necessary at the bare minimum. But even a broken clock is right twice a day. etc. etc.

• Like 2

100% correct. It was a miracle they got it crammed onto the machine, even with the SFX chip. I'm not trying to compare the SKUs head to head; simply pointing out how it played out in stores. Frames per second mean very little to the casual consumer buying a console game in the mid-90s. (note "casual," as a reference to not die hard, maybe parents) Checkered Flag proved you could sell a terrible game that moved like a handicapped turtle in molasses... if the only thing people saw were still images.

tl;dr: Parents buying games in the 1990s couldn't identify the framerate differences from screenshots on the boxes when going to the store.

• Like 4

"Hover Strike" looked promising... it was the closest thing to Playstation 1 style graphics... very effective use of repetitive texture mapping which was common at the time... And let's not forget "Sky Hammer".

Edited by philipj
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jag64 said:

Checkered Flag proved you could sell a terrible game that moved like a handicapped turtle in molasses... if the only thing people saw were still images.

True enough... that game was too choppy and hard to control... one thing I do admire about the game is that it seems to have the biggest 3D environment due to large race tracks... the game seems very modular in nature the was the environment proceeds as you're racing the tracks; it's too bad the game wasn't optimized for speed and playability.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jag64 said:

100% correct. It was a miracle they got it crammed onto the machine, even with the SFX chip. I'm not trying to compare the SKUs head to head; simply pointing out how it played out in stores. Frames per second mean very little to the casual consumer buying a console game in the mid-90s. (note "casual," as a reference to not die hard, maybe parents) Checkered Flag proved you could sell a terrible game that moved like a handicapped turtle in molasses... if the only thing people saw were still images.

tl;dr: Parents buying games in the 1990s couldn't identify the framerate differences from screenshots on the boxes when going to the store.

It also  featured the cyberdemon and spider demon monsters that weren't in the Jaguar and 32X versions. 

Whilst not a version of Doom i would personally play, what was achieved was most impressive indeed. 

With CF, you also had a game on a system starved of new releases, sometimes you'll buy a title, just to have something new to play on your new system

If you were a UK Magazine reader at the time, the 72% score from C+VG and 87% from  Games World, with 1 of the 4 reviewers favoring it iit over Virtua Racing for its faster car, and having more tracks, you couldn't be blamed for thinking it was worth a shot... 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, phoboz said:

Some people got a little bit worried when I announced Shadow Kingdom (see below)

- Stay calm, I am working on 3D!

Unfortunately I had to capture this using smartphone and sound trough headphones. Because 3D games does not run in Atari Jaguar emulators, e.g. I have to run it on a real Jaguar.

Apparently you have to wait a lot longer for this 3D game than for the other game I announced. So I wanted to give you something in between:

PS. I hope you recognize the ship from the first Atari Jaguar game I made e.g. Wormhole 2000?

Looks and sounds very promising ?

• Like 1

A few questions for phoboz -whats the differnce in performance hit of textured vs non textured models in your experience ?

Also, not sure if you experimented, but how much of a hit does gouraud shading impart on performance ?

It's great to see how much you've been outputting for the jag.

Once you've completed this, will you do a write up of how you did it ( tools used, gotchas to avoid etc... ) as i for one would find it very interesting.

• Like 1