IGNORED

AtariBasic - Will it run on the M1 Mac?

ColecoGamer

Hi all!

Thanks @RevEng@Gemintronic and @Karl G.  One of the things with the Linux and macOS releases is I do try and set the chmod permissions (to 777) for folders and files before running the compilers and emulators.  As Karl pointed out it was an early issue that cropped up as I don't run macOS myself and only occasionally Ubuntu Linux.

If you activate Help -> Toggle Developer Tools and try the compile again it does document the entire process in the logs.  The problem might very well show up there if you can take a look for me.

• Like 3

Not really sure, since I have no experience with the M1 cross-compatibility. It seems like dasm is running, so that's a good sign. The 2600basic.sh script *should* be ok, based on what I've seen too. If someone ships me an M1 MacBook Pro, I will definitively confirm. ;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Would it not fail when it doesn't find anything with the .arm64 extension (uname -m)?

No, it does this scanning thing, where it tries hardcoded .x86 and .x64 extensions first, before trying the one discovered from uname -m. Whichever form actually runs without error first is used.

• Thanks 1

Haven't tried doing the chmod thing yet.  instead I got it "working" by..

Installing the Mac "Intel Chip" only version of Visual Studio Code on your M1.  Created a small batari BASIC program that randomizes the background then saved and compiled fine.  Even launched Stella.

So, counterintuitive as it seems.. just run the Intel VS Code instead of Universal or "Apple Silicon" for now?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

Haven't tried doing the chmod thing yet.  instead I got it "working" by..

Installing the Mac Intel only version of Visual Studio Code.  Created a small batari BASIC program that randomizes the background then saved and compiled fine.  Even launched Stella.

So, counterintuitive as it seems.. just run the Intel VS Code instead of Universal or "Apple Silicon" for now?

I can confirm this works...I guess it's just running Rosetta to emulate the Intel version. But it does, indeed, work. ?

• Like 2

On 3/28/2022 at 5:06 PM, Gemintronic said:

So, I started to feel like my advice was too confusing or too strange.  Decided to prove it to myself aaaaand..

PlayOnMac on M1 is very touchy.  Wouldn't even install the latest Visual Studio Code.

Crossover just got a recent update so I had high hopes.  Visual Studio Code and Atari Dev Studio installed but I cannot compile.

Apologies for the bunk advice.  The only thing that %100 percent works is Parallels and a Windows ARM virtual machine.  sigh.

How do we obtain a copy of Windows ARM? When I search online, it takes me to a Microsoft website that states, ‘Beta testing is now closed’ for Windows Arm. I own the latest M1 compatible version of Parallels. ?

1 hour ago, ColecoGamer said:

How do we obtain a copy of Windows ARM? When I search online, it takes me to a Microsoft website that states, ‘Beta testing is now closed’ for Windows Arm. I own the latest M1 compatible version of Parallels. ?

I'm pretty sure Parallels itself gave me some help getting a Windows ARM image.

https://kb.parallels.com/125375

Windows 10 ARM might not support 64-bit x86 programs.  So, Windows 11 might be the way to go.  Not an evil move at all, Microsoft.

• Sad 1

• 6 months later...
8 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

Any updates on an M1 compatible version yet?

I think we determined earlier in the thread that the existing binaries should run on a M1 Mac. If you have tried and run into problems, post them here and we can see if we can figure them out (I only have an Intel Mac so I can't test directly).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Just in case anyone wants to re-visit this. I resolved this as follows:

Install VS code and installed the vscode atari dev studio extension

Cloned bB from github and built using make

git clone git@github.com:batari-Basic/batari-Basic.git
cd batari-Basic
make

Copied the binaries which were generated by make to the vscode extension folder (this assumes you cloned and built bB in ~/src/batari-Basic

cd ~/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.8.6/out/bin/compilers/bB

cp ~/src/batari-Basic/2600basic 2600basic.Darwin.arm64
cp ~/src/batari-Basic/bbfilter bbfilter.Darwin.arm64
cp ~/src/batari-Basic/optimize optimize.Darwin.arm64
cp ~/src/batari-Basic/postprocess postprocess.Darwin.arm64
cp ~/src/batari-Basic/preprocess preprocess.Darwin.arm64

installed dasm via homebrew

brew install dasm

copied the dasm binary to the vscode extension folder

cp /opt/homebrew/bin/dasm dasm.Darwin.arm64

Downloaded stella from the website and copied the stella.app into a newly created "arm64" folder

cd ~/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.8.6/out/bin/emulators/stella/darwin
mkdir arm64
cp -R /Applications/Stella.app arm64

I think that was everything, and it seemed to work well. 

Edited by MikeDX_
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2022 at 10:39 PM, rsiddall said:

Sorry, I ran it again with the "cd" and got:

cd ~/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.7.2/out/bin/compilers/bB

./dasm.Darwin.x64

zsh: permission denied: ./dasm.Darwin.x64

I can cd to the directory and manually drop "dasm.Darwin.x64" onto the terminal and it still won't run.

Gives the "permission denied".

I know it's not Linux, but mac, but on Linux when I got this kind of error it usually meant that the file didn't have the execution privilege set. Tried doing chmod +x on it?

Edited by Darkhog
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 4:24 AM, Darkhog said:

I know it's not Linux, but mac, but on Linux when I got this kind of error it usually meant that the file didn't have the execution privilege set. Tried doing chmod +x on it?

I somehow had a couple issues because missing packages and a makefile that needed cleanup on my Raspberry Pi 400, but I will say that compiling batariBasic on ARM64 Linux does indeed work. The problem is that I'm not sure what to make using bB yet. I have a couple ideas, but I don't know what to do to execute them, y'know?

On 6/10/2023 at 4:24 AM, Darkhog said:

If you look directly above your post, another member (MikeDX_) posted on how to resolve the issue.

My workaround was installing the existing binaries on my M1 Mac.

• 3 months later...
On 3/17/2023 at 7:03 AM, MikeDX_ said:

Just in case anyone wants to re-visit this. I resolved this as follows:

Install VS code and installed the vscode atari dev studio extension

Cloned bB from github and built using make

git clone git@github.com:batari-Basic/batari-Basic.git
cd batari-Basic
make

I get this error on the first cmd

% git clone git@github.com:batari-Basic/batari-Basic.git

Cloning into 'batari-Basic'...

git@github.com: Permission denied (publickey).

fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights

and the repository exists.

Thanks, got me past that bit, but I now get:

bB % cd ~/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.9.2/out/bin/emulators/stella/darwin 

darwin % mkdir arm64

mkdir: arm64: File exists

If I rename this file and continue with the instructions, it still reports:

Verifying compiler files exist...
ERROR: Unable to locate compiler file 'dasm.Darwin.arm64'.
NOTE: your anti-virus software may have quarantined one or more files related to the compiler due to a false/positive test and where this is the case please ensure you whitelist to allow these files to used. Alternatively try re-installing the extension.

Is this an error with bB or Stella? Just the console message refers to the compiler (first line) but the top message is referring to Stella.

If it's Stella maybe try and remove the arm64 file??

Unfortunately we are flying blind on this change as I don't have access to a Mac machine let alone M1/ARM.

Also if you using a git version of bB the M1/ARM doesn't exist does it Mike??

From what it sounds like, Lavalamp is experiencing the same issues that were first reported by me (unable to locate 'dasm.Darwin.arm64'). It's been just long enough but I think we are repeating the same issue over, again.

I haven't had any problems running the "emulated" version (Intel download). I cannot imagine a difference (in speed) the ARM version would really have in our use. Was easier to just go with the flow...

Edited by rsiddall
clarity
  • Like 1