IGNORED

Atari 2600 No video

BedTimeFun

So I have been working on a Atari 2600 I have done the cap kit and the RF upgrade. I get a perfect image for a little bit then fads to dark. After have on a little longer the screen gets messed up. After that I loose the image all together but  still have sound(sound is scratchy). I have pulled the chips to try and reset them. At this point I am at a lose. Does any one have any ideas what to try next?

Thanks

What kind of TV? Old CRT? Newer LCD? with the mod you used there might well be an issue with the signal being too hot. That is why many "updated" mods include an additional resistor to the V-out. The symptoms you described could be because of this. See the pic below. Look at the resistor between the GND and V-OUT. 

Image 1 - Atari 2600 COMPOSITE A/V MOD KIT IMPROVED SOUND UPGRADE KIT ASSEMBED & TESTED 1c

11 hours ago, Resto Ron said:

What kind of TV? Old CRT? Newer LCD? with the mod you used there might well be an issue with the signal being too hot. That is why many "updated" mods include an additional resistor to the V-out. The symptoms you described could be because of this. See the pic below. Look at the resistor between the GND and V-OUT. 

Image 1 - Atari 2600 COMPOSITE A/V MOD KIT IMPROVED SOUND UPGRADE KIT ASSEMBED & TESTED 1c

The irony here, is that when used with many modern LCD displays, that 75Ω across the gnd and video out will cause the image to be dark and dull. Remove it and the image looks much better on modern displays. I've encountered this several times on 7800s with this installed sent to me to remove it and replace with a UAV.

OK so I decided to change it back to the standard RF setup. When I turned it on I had a image played a game but the image was very staticky. Left it on then lost everything again. I tried a different RF cable no change. I also put a different TIA chip no change. I have uploaded an image the best that I can get. This is in a dark room. If I turn on the lights I can not see the lighter images. After about 2 minutes I lose everything. After it cools down it turns on again.

Hope someone has an idea hate to scrap it. Thanks for the Help so far.

20220404_193730.jpg

20220404_193753.jpg

I have had similar issues that I have traced back to the inductors just before the video out went into the RF can. The 2600 field service manual is floating around I suggest you download it and look at your board's revision and use the schematic to find the inductors and as the picture starts to degrade squeeze one inductor at a time. If the pic starts to clear up some you have found the issue. Check the solder joint if it is good replace the part. As for things getting hot I would use a can of air upside down and spray the part that is getting hot this will make the part cold and if the pic clears up you, again, have the issue.