IGNORED

Porting Bioshock to the Plus 4?

This is a project I have in mind: Port Bioshock 1 to a Commodore Computer.
Could it be done, or should I target the C128?
With Bioshock's scope and scale, is 128k even enough? Super CPU maybe?
Suggestions please
I don't know anything about Bioshock or its requirements but if it would require a SuperCPU128 you would limit the target audience to a small exclusive crowd. Unless you're talking about emulation maybe.

If you only need more RAM there are some RAM expansions that are more available such as GeoRAM and REU:s or a ROM bank switching cartridge that lets you switch graphics and other data in and out as you need it without providing any extra RAM.

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

I know nothing about this game, but a demake could probably be done on most hardware, depending on how much you want to sacrifice. Another text adventure?

it's the only route I can reasonably do. I don't know enough about assembly to work with graphics and I can't move shapes onscreen so it's my only option.

The Plus/4 has no hardware sprites. I think that is your primary handicap vs e.g. the C64. Both have smooth scrolling though, and the Plus/4 has a much bigger palette to choose from. The fact that the SID produces one more sound channel, waveforms, envelopes, filters and generally has  higher frequency resolution is kind of a non-factor in this context. Possibly the Plus/4 would offer you a bit more continuous RAM as I believe it can switch out ROMs for up to 60K RAM, which is doable but harder on the C64.

While the C128 has 128K RAM, I'm not entirely sure how you can use the second half other than for variable data and some bank switching. Now that would be the least of your concerns to begin with.

For a proper text adventure, either machine should do. A well written program would load in parts and/or at least dynamically load data from disk. Now I happen to know that you like to work in parts already as it is, but you wouldn't really want to load one part after another until you really have used up the memory and need to progress in the game.

How is this of interest to you?  Are you asking someone to make a deconstructed port?  I can only assume so considering your frustration and explosion at nuances of simple BASIC languages.  Unless you are a master high-level language programmer or assembly language coder and are just hiding that from us, cleverly disguised.  While I am all for people learning new things, frankly you do not appear to be willing to do the basic reading necessary to learn, and you shun both direct and indirect advice from others.  You might prove me wrong if you change your approach.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

How is this of interest to you?  Are you asking someone to make a deconstructed port?  I can only assume so considering your frustration and explosion at nuances of simple BASIC languages.  Unless you are a master high-level language programmer or assembly language coder and are just hiding that from us, cleverly disguised.  While I am all for people learning new things, frankly you do not appear to be willing to do the basic reading necessary to learn, and you shun both direct and indirect advice from others.  You might prove me wrong if you change your approach.

I hate that i'm lazy. Thanks for getting on me about that. well, i'll be busy for some time.

On 3/28/2022 at 3:38 PM, carlsson said:

Possibly the Plus/4 would offer you a bit more continuous RAM as I believe it can switch out ROMs for up to 60K RAM,

Thread Hijack: I did not know this about the Plus/4. Interesting. I'll need to do some research on the matter.

6502 plus 4 - CPU and RAM expansion for Commodore +4 /16/116 (retrolemon.co.uk)

Edited by Airshack

Ah, *that* Bioshock. It got me quite confused because the original question didn’t mention in any way how the game should be simplified, reimagined and cut down in order to be made possible on an 8-bit platform. The answer is ”no” unless you make a different game that is only inspired by the original.

For a crap games compo, no demake is too simple. For anyone striving to be faithful to the original material, I agree that 8-bit systems are unlikely to match most 21th century games, even if you were skilled in machine code and knew a system by heart.

• Like 1

For a crap games compo, no demake is too simple.

I agree to that. So what kind of game would it be? Top down action game with the same resource hunting mechanics and upgrades should be possible I think. Flip screen or scrolling. As a multiload game it could also be quite large in scale.

I think we're currently aiming for a multiple choice text adventure, similar to those choose your adventure-books.

Ok, I see. Then I guess the amount of text would be the limit. If there will be a lot, the C128 seems like the best choice. You could start there and port it to plus/4 in case it fits later on. Multi load is an option.

I can't believe people are talking about how to port a game they have never heard of! To reduce Bioshock to a mere text adventure would a crime - no matter what computer you would it aim at.

Although the System Requirements say BioShock will run on Windows XP with sp 2, that would be painful, to say the least. It needs at least an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, with 2Gb of RAM, and a healthy graphics card. Have fun trying to port that to any Commodore machine.

I can understand some interest in BioShock. It is one of the strangest FPS ever thought up, and loads of fun to play. But to cut it down to work in any form on a Plus 4 or C-128 would be criminal. Just my opinion.......

Edited by motrucker
  • Haha 1

On 4/2/2022 at 9:44 AM, bjonte said:

I agree to that. So what kind of game would it be? Top down action game with the same resource hunting mechanics and upgrades should be possible I think. Flip screen or scrolling. As a multiload game it could also be quite large in scale.

Multi Load?