IGNORED

8-bit Museum Destroyed in Ukraine

dkerfoot

I want to express all my empathy to Dmitriy, his family and all his people. War is so senseless and only driven by people who are not loosing anything, while others loose the most valuable.

A retro computer musuem where children are welcome to play games is just so in contrast to all those bad things currently going in...
  • Like 2

It saddens my heart to see people losing life over an illegal land grab and enforcing an iron will, the fight from these brave souls is unbelievable, it's stunned the world but overall we want to see peace return to the country. And maybe then after the long process of rebuilding we might see the normality of things like hobbies returning, sadly there's a long way to go before anything starts as we see the promise of lowering the offensive is just a lie and a ruse to reposition forces.

Our best hope is peace, I hope they get it, I really, really do...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's always sad when history and culture are erased due to unnecessary conflict.  I hope this guy is able to rebuild when this is all over.  I would happily ship him a spare machine if needed.

On another note, if the iron curtain is going back up I want someone to send me one of those Elektronika BK home computers with the PDP11 clone CPU first.  Wars suck ?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Albert said:

Please keep politics out of this discussion.

Thank you,

..Al

In my humble opinion I don't feel that the things that were said about what is going on in Ukraine in this topic has really violated the rules on "no politics", anymore than your change of avatar has reflected on expressing solidarity.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mytek said:

In my humble opinion I don't feel that the things that were said about what is going on in Ukraine in this topic has really violated the rules on "no politics", anymore than your change of avatar has reflected on expressing solidarity.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  I had to remove a post that was quite political and out of place in this discussion.  The general discussion up to this point has been fine.

..Al

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Albert said:

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  I had to remove a post that was quite political and out of place in this discussion.  The general discussion up to this point has been fine.

..Al

Aww that makes more sense, thanks for the explanation.

Getting back to the topic. If and whenever the museum will see the light of day again, it might make sense to create a central repository for people to donate retro computer equipment to both consolidate the shipping fees over to Ukraine, and to establish what is really needed by the museum. I could see someone at the head of it contacting a person in charge at the museum, and then creating and posting a list of what's needed online, and a contact email (or PM). People who have something on that list that they no longer need could then contact the coordinator to find out if their item is indeed still needed, and to make arrangements to ship it.

I know this is the least of the concerns with this war going on, but I do look forward to the day when the museum wishes to rebuild, since that will likely mean that the war is over.

It's so sad to hear that. Hopefully some of them may have survived. It was a nice collection of MSXs. I know someone who would have liked that Commodore SX-64 in their collection. Such a nice person to have shared his passion with the next generation. It is a loss but only a loss of things, the loss of life is more precious and more disheartening. I pray for their freedom and peace trough-out the world. We need to grow beyond physical conflict and learn to use our words and to understand even if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, it isn't ours to take.

• Like 1