IGNORED

Season 12 ~ Week 22 ~ Paddle Week 2

Vocelli

10 hours ago, fakecortex said:

*gasp*

I do agree that it leaves much to be desired. I want turbo! There’s approximately 97 variations and none of them are turbooooo 

Fully agree that is the main issue.  Most paddle games use paddles because of the speed in which can move across the screen.  This one moves slow enough where a joystick would probably work better.   

For some reason the paddle accuracy/ smoothness of movement is not great either so that may be why they might have dialed the speed down.

It is not bad but also nothing to make you come back for more 

• Like 1

Improvement on Guardian. Don't think I'd enjoy this one much outside the HSC, but the challenge of trying to get up the high score table makes an otherwise pretty uninspiring (albeit by no means terrible) game a lot of fun. It almost recreates that social experience in early video games of a family or group of friends playing these quickfire games and trying to beat each others scores.

Guardian (1982) (Apollo)_5.png

• Like 6

This looks great. But man does it accelerate from easy to insane in a hurry.

32250:

Guardian.thumb.png.9234947ae1b623cb21caf97d454f3238.png

I will get some real hardware time this weekend, I think, but I don't know that my paddles are up to this!

EDIT: Some improvement... 36100

Guardian_1.thumb.png.aa2e2c407014bcde7fca937234365ec3.png

EDIT: Hooo-wheee, my wrist has had enough for now. 41000.

Guardian_2.thumb.png.51a2dc159ac6149fc23e9aaaba51ff84.png

What is the deal with the rings??? I shoot them sometimes two or three times dead on but they don't go away. Can you only shoot them when they're in a certain orientation?

• Like 4

57150! My thumb needs to go to the ER now.

Guardian_3.thumb.png.391b4fdeaaccb28af18c4af0e9f11705.png

It's funny, this game is very similar to Alien Raiders, a paddle game I've been playing a lot on the Microvision. I have to say, I think the Microvision game is more fun. In it, you autoscroll up and down as raiders come from the right. You can only stop at the top or bottom of the screen. You have to modulate the length of the beam to catch the raiders, but you have limited fuel so you can't keep firing forever. Also, firing slows you down, so if one of the raiders is getting close to the left edge you have to stop firing to give you a chance to catch it. It's a very compelling game despite the 1 bit graphics!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guardian: 62700

I didn't spend much time on this one (only played 3 games).  I think the key to higher scores would be to just hover near one of the planets and focus all your attention on only the fire on a path to take out the planet, especially in the faster rounds.

image.thumb.jpeg.981dffbb1dd0700af8a02afd524924a0.jpeg

• Like 2

Spent some more time with this one, and my tolerance has decreased. I don’t like how you freeze when you get hit, which only makes the choppy controls choppier. Minuscule score increase, but this is likely my last go of it. I’ve been losing two lives back to back and that’s just blech. On to the next round. 

249CE5E9-A462-4073-BCD3-971B6DECE8F7.thumb.jpeg.7439049880680d08c9a55dbe47663c1d.jpeg

• Like 2

*stretches* Let's see if I can unintentionally be median once again!

According to history (at least when I joined the HSC), it's my turn to reclaim loner again!

Season 7 Taz: No one got loner

Season 8 Silver Pick/Gopher: Loner = DMC

Season 9 Polaris: No one got loner

Season 10 Adventures of Tron: Loner = DMC

Season 11 Super Cobra: No one got Loner

Season 12 Guardian: Loner = ??

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, fakecortex said:

I don’t like how you freeze when you get hit, which only makes the choppy controls choppier

I noticed that if you turn the paddle while you're frozen, your ship will jump over how much you turned the paddle when you unfreeze.  I had to learn to lay off trying to

turn as soon as I got frozen.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2022 at 4:00 AM, Jasonhrb said:

It almost recreates that social experience in early video games of a family or group of friends playing these quickfire games and trying to beat each others scores.

Exactly why I enjoy high score club with all you awesome people

• Like 2