IGNORED

J.U.G.S. Problem... Please Help!

Willard

I got myself a Jugs Cd with that little pc connector and a scatbox deluxe. I have tried using my scatbox (on the jaguar) and the jugs device (on a laptop), both connected by a friends jaglink line, but they don't work. I have entered the passcode on my battlesphere gold cartridge, and i have installed the software to my computer. I have also typed in the 1 and 9 so the little window will appear. Then, i go to the freeware dirctory on the cd and double click on the auto-upload thing for the game i want to send.

Since this doesnt work, i am wondering... Does jugs device work on a laptop? Is it compatible with the scatbox deluxe? And which port do i put the cable into my scatbox (the left or right scatnet ports or the rsc port under them)? Do i have to change the settings to the laptop?

Any help would be appreciated, thanx.

I got myself a Jugs Cd with that little pc connector and a scatbox deluxe. I have tried using my scatbox (on the jaguar) and the jugs device (on a laptop), both connected by a friends jaglink line, but they don't work. I have entered the passcode on my battlesphere gold cartridge, and i have installed the software to my computer. I have also typed in the 1 and 9 so the little window will appear. Then, i go to the freeware dirctory on the cd and double click on the auto-upload thing for the game i want to send.

Since this doesnt work, i am wondering... Does jugs device work on a laptop? Is it compatible with the scatbox deluxe? And which port do i put the cable into my scatbox (the left or right scatnet ports or the rsc port under them)? Do i have to change the settings to the laptop?

Any help would be appreciated, thanx.

JUGS is known not to work with newer laptops because they use a non 16550 compatible serial port and rely on Windows Drivers to translate for them. Since JUGS is a DOS based program currently, it cannot "see" the port correctly.

Sorry you are having problems!

Hi TBird,

I am wondering if there are any plans of upgrading JUGS to Win32 platform? I don't have a JUGS so I can not test it but if part of the problem is Windows device driver for ports how would JUGS behave under DOS in environment like VMWare?

Cheers

I suspect that VMWare accurately emulates the 16550 hardware via software emulation. If VMWare allows you to remap COM port devices to any port you may have a windows driver for, then I bet it would work.

It still doesnt work :x HELP! I tried it on our normal computer and connected everything all nice and all. So i still got these questions:

1) does the jaguar have to be modified for this to work?

2) which port on the scatbox do i use? left or right scatnet port, or the lower rsc port?

3) do i have to actually install the jugs device into the pc like the link to the gamepark?

Thanx.

It still doesnt work :x HELP! I tried it on our normal computer and connected everything all nice and all. So i still got these questions:

1) does the jaguar have to be modified for this to work?

2) which port on the scatbox do i use? left or right scatnet port, or the lower rsc port?

3) do i have to actually install the jugs device into the pc like the link to the gamepark?

Thanx.

On a regular PC, you connect the JUGS device to the RS-232 port names "COM1" or "COM2" on the back. It should be a DB-9 port.

The cable that goes from the JUGS device plugs into the RS-232 port on the ScatBox it's a miniature phone type jack (the lower one).

Please look at the pictures in the addendum of the JUGS manual to make sure you have the right style cable. The orientation of the connectors is critical. Make sure your cable matches.

Also, make absolutely sure you are using a cable with 4 conductors. There should be 4 contacts embedded into the plastic connector on both of the the ends of the cable.

Hopefully this will help.

You may also want to try using a pc that is not running xp or 2k' date=' as they restrict 16bit programs from directly accessing hardware. Stick on a copy of good ol' 98se and be happy forever more :).[/quote']

It does indeed work on XP.

His com ports might not work! :ponder:

The COM ports will work if they use 16550 chips like a standard PC compatible computer. XP doesn't interfere with that.

Strange Laptops with non-compatible ports (or worse yet those ports they hang on the USB bus) won't work.

You may also want to try using a pc that is not running xp or 2k' date=' as they restrict 16bit programs from directly accessing hardware. Stick on a copy of good ol' 98se and be happy forever more :).[/quote']

The COM ports will work if they use 16550 chips like a standard PC compatible computer. XP doesn't interfere with that.

Strange Laptops with non-compatible ports (or worse yet those ports they hang on the USB bus) won't work.

hmmm

You may also want to try using a pc that is not running xp or 2k, as they restrict 16bit programs from directly accessing hardware. Stick on a copy of good ol' 98se and be happy forever more :).

hmmm

What exactly does "Hmmmm" mean in this case? Have you discovered something?