Sleepy

ABBUC hardware contest 2022

The ABBUC hardware contest 2022 has also started.

The deadline for this year is july 31th 2022.

Here you can find the rules:

2022 HWC EN.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

Do you know the flasher-thingy from Men In Black? :D

That should do it!

Posted (edited)

Hello guys

Now all we need is someone who can patch MIDI-Maze (maybe even add in the MIDIcar as an extra option besides "850", "MIDI", etc.) and maybe all the other software written for the MIDI-Mate (compatible) interface.  :D

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy
  • Like 1

Hi,

I may try to write patch to existing software but I can't found any source code to do that...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The first MIDI music played on MIDIcar:

Software designer: PeBe.

Edited by pancio
  • Like 8

Any chance the software will support the MidiBlaster in the 1088XLD (it uses that same S2 module).  I've found one existing player that works on it, but it's rather clunky.

• Like 1

Hi,

I can't promise because PeBe has many tasks to do with MIDIcar at this moment. Maybe I'm wrong but the S2 module feature on 1088XLD is based on SIO transmission -  like SIO2MIDI, so it's little bit harder to save time discipline during load/save data and play music... e.g. I heard some delays during play Mission Impossible song... Sending data to S2 based on MIDIcar is very simple.. just three ST(AXY)  to register and POKEY is pretty free 🙂

Probably MIDI functionality will be implemented in PeBe's SFX Tracker, it's very likely with feature for SIO2MIDI...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, pancio said:

I heard some delays during play Mission Impossible song... Sending data to S2 based on MIDIcar is very simple.. just three ST(AXY)  to register and POKEY is pretty free 🙂

Those delays had nothing to do with file loading, since the file is played from memory after transfer from the disk. Most likely what you are noticing is that the Midi-CLK is not being used by that player, so is not synced. A good player would sync up with the CLK.

Thank you for clarification. So it's possible to use CLK generated by PIC for synchronization by using MIDI_CLK connected to SIO_CLK on pin 9 but mentioned player doesn't use it. For me SIO2MIDI was a milestone for Atari8 and MIDI and I'm fascinated how easy may play songs on Atari. Thanks for that! 🙂 When I prototyping MIDIcar I  followed your project as well. (music bonus at start - the best!). but during analyze, I decided use only one receive/send register for communication instead mixed PIA/POKEY registers for simplicity. MIDIcar hasn't MIDI_CLK as separate signal - just only serial tick is synchronized with 31250Hz - rests timers being produced on the Atari by software...

Posted (edited)

Master PeBe made new version of his MIDI Player.... 🙂

Edited by pancio
  • Like 6

Newest version of PeBe's player can play files bigger than 42KB (to 1MB):

• Like 3

Hello pancio

3 hours ago, pancio said:

Newest version of PeBe's player can play files bigger than 42KB (to 1MB):

Will it autodetect which bits (PIA) are used?  And if the memory upgrade is RAMBO or CompyShop compatible?

Sincerely

Mathy

I'm using it with Hias based SRAM module with configuration PORTB 2,3,5,6,7 - it's common access for Antic and CPU for additional 512KB. I asked PeBe for autodetect method... Need to check with u1M but I've it installed in 800XL.. unfortunately, version of MIDIcar using PBi is still in development stage...