Features:

- Up to 3 layers of high color parallax scrolling backgrounds

- Transparent shadows, lightening effects in CRY color mode

- Large sprites

- Individual palette fades per game character

Credits:

Programming: @phoboz

Art, Music & SFX: @Eternal-Krauser

You judge yourselves which genere this game belongs to?

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 44
  • Thanks 1

Looking impressive already. Definitely not looking 16bit!

A key for me in this type of game is how many enemies your engine can handle at once… I found most Snes beatemups boring because it could only handle 4 enemies at once… while Streets of Rage series in Sega Genesis could handle around 8 enemies at once making it so much more fun. Same with the best arcade games of this genre

Anyways, looking really good. Congrats!

• Like 4

As I wrote on YouTube, it looks great and is a genre much needed in the jaguar library. The background artwork is impressive even in this early state.

Please think about adding a dash function which makes these games so much more dynamic and fluid to play :)

Nonetheless this is really amazing

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CD-i said:

As I wrote on YouTube, it looks great and is a genre much needed in the jaguar library. The background artwork is impressive even in this early state.

Please think about adding a dash function which makes these games so much more dynamic and fluid to play :)

Nonetheless this is really amazing

Yes we already have animation frames for a dash function, I just need to figure out how to program it. E.g. proper activation by double tap, de-activiation, and dash attack.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, sd32 said:

Looking impressive already. Definitely not looking 16bit!

A key for me in this type of game is how many enemies your engine can handle at once… I found most Snes beatemups boring because it could only handle 4 enemies at once… while Streets of Rage series in Sega Genesis could handle around 8 enemies at once making it so much more fun. Same with the best arcade games of this genre

Anyways, looking really good. Congrats!

I have tried using 8 enemies and 1 player (e.g. 9 characters in total), that runs fine. However, the enemies does not have much intelligence yet. Theoretically the engine could handle up to 16 characters at once (limited by the number of different palettes the Jaguar can have at the same time), but I guess 16 characters would make the game to crowded to be fun?

PS. Final Fight had larger, but fewer characters than Streets of Rage. The SNES really had a hybrid 8-bit CPU, while the Genesis had 16-bit blast processing (e.g. the 68000 like the Jaguar)

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, phoboz said:

I have tried using 8 enemies and 1 player (e.g. 9 characters in total), that runs fine. However, the enemies does not have much intelligence yet. Theoretically the engine could handle up to 16 characters at once (limited by the number of palettes the Jaguar can have on the screen), but I guess 16 characters would make the game to crowded to be fun?

The engine can handle 16 characters! That’s really impressive, but yeah… thing could get really crowded. I think that around 6 to 8 enemies at once should be enough

How about this… a 4 player cooperative mode ala Ninja Turtles arcade?

• Like 3

Just now, sd32 said:

How about this… a 4 player cooperative mode ala Ninja Turtles arcade?

We are thinking to have at least 3-4 different selectable character races (e.g. Knight, Archer, Magician, etc). How many of that could play at the same depends on how much we can squeeze into the 2 MB of RAM that the Jaguar has. The number of different enemies at once also affects RAM usage. If we cannot fit more than 2 players at once in normal mode, we may add a mode where 3-4 players could face off against each other (without external enemies), using team tap.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, phoboz said:

Announcing - Hammer of the Gods!

Features:

- Up to 3 layers of high color parallax scrolling backgrounds

- Transparent shadows, lightening effects in CRY color mode

- Large sprites

- Individual palette fades per game character

Credits:

Programming: @phoboz

Art, Music & SFX: @Eternal-Krauser

You judge yourselves which genere this game belongs to?

@phoboz Does this mean you’re not using the backgrounds I’ve been working on for a long time, making constant changes at your request? The last change you had me make on that first background was finished, and was sent to you over a month ago, with no replies from you.

I need to know, so I don’t waste my time working on something you’re not going to use. You don’t mention me in the game’s credits, so that is telling right there.

I’m just peeved because I have been spending a lot of time drawing those backgrounds for this game, just to find out they’re not being used. It’s wasted effort and time on my part, and that’s not right. If somehow I’m wrong, I apologize. But I am responding to what I’m seeing in the initial post.

Edited by ColecoGamer

25 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

@phoboz Does this mean you’re not using the backgrounds I’ve been working on for a long time, making constant changes at your request? The last change you had me make on that first background was finished, and was sent to you over a month ago, with no replies from you.

I need to know, so I don’t waste my time working on something you’re not going to use. You don’t mention me in the game’s credits, so that is telling right there.

I’m just peeved because I have been spending a lot of time drawing those backgrounds for this game, just to find out they’re not being used. It’s wasted effort and time on my part, and that’s not right. If somehow I’m wrong, I apologize. But I am responding to what I’m seeing in the initial post.

I will reply to you privately.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sd32 said:

The engine can handle 16 characters! That’s really impressive, but yeah… thing could get really crowded. I think that around 6 to 8 enemies at once should be enough...

That would crowd the gameplay, but "scaling further ahead," you can / should do 6 to 8 actual "characters" and you're freed up to have "background" animations. i.e. NPCs on screen for aesthetics.

e.g. the Streets of Rage Bartender in this shot (because you can use / call to characters like a boss that is simply there for a cut-scene and then leaves till a later map / level)

InferiorScratchyLamb-max-1mb.gif

Edited by Jag64
  • Like 2

Finally! A homebrew beat 'em up that will fill the void left bt Konan. Looks absolutely great :D A word of advice: most beat 'em up employed the double tap for the dash mechanic and characters would stop the dash animation as soon as your thumb leaves the d-pad.

Edited by KidGameR186496
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

Gameplay seems reminiscent of both GOLDEN AXE and KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND.

If you mean it's also a beat 'em up with swords, then you're right I guess, but to me it's more about lore than gameplay then. ;) Gameplay seems already richer than Knights of the Round (which is a very low bar tbh), but Golden Axe has running (and jump attack after running, which most people forget about), magic, and mounts.

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

If you mean it's also a beat 'em up with swords, then you're right I guess, but to me it's more about lore than gameplay then. ;) Gameplay seems already richer than Knights of the Round (which is a very low bar tbh), but Golden Axe has running (and jump attack after running, which most people forget about), magic, and mounts.

Yes, Krauser has an idea about a combo system. This genere is new to me as a developer, and the last game like this I played was Golden Axe (I may have tried Legend once?) I guess that a lot has happened to the genere since then? It will take some time before we have a combat system we feel confortable with. What you see now is just a minimal base to build further on...

Edited by phoboz