IGNORED

Season 12 ~ Week 23 ~ Beat The Leaders 1

Vocelli

Week 23

Beat The Leaders

Reactor

Reactor - Screenshot

CLARIFICATION: No use of CHEATS, emulation advantages, bugs, cart frying or other variables that gives you an unfair advantage in this HSC. Please assume you have to follow the game difficulty and mode for the playing week/s. There cannot be any game enhancements or favorite settings to play in the 2600 HSC, unless you are given authorization to do so by your humble yet strict MODERATOR! Vocelli

Reactor

Released By:  Parker Brothers

Left Difficulty: B

Right Difficulty: B

Game Mode: Game 1

Post your scores right here in this thread, and we will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone else.

The deadline for posting scores is Midnight (EST) the evening of  April 17, 2022

BONUS: BEAT THE LEADERS!

For Players who are NOT in the Top 16 (17th Place and lower)

(Standings after the Paddle Week 2)

Get +10 Bonus Points for finishing in the Top 16 this week!

Get +5 More for finishing Top 8!

+15 Bonus Points Total Possible

For Players in the Top 16  (Standings after the Paddle Week 2)

Get +10 Bonus Points for finishing Top 4 this week

Get an extra +5 for finishing FIRST

+15 Bonus Points Total Possible

Reactor Scores

(Double Points This Week ~ 100pts for 1st, 98 for 2nd and so forth)

ROLLAGE AT 390,000+

ROLLAGE - Kermit (+100) (+15)

306659 - Nads (+98) (+10)

98222 - JasonHRB (+96) (+10)

97448 - SkippyBCoyote (+94) (+10)

88799 - JasonAtari (+92)

78464 - AtariSphinx (+90)

67712 - Absalon (+88)

66643 - Keilbaca (+86) (+15)

63201 - Vocelli (+84)

59174 - JGKspsx (+82)

54835 - maloff (+80)

52738 - OyamaFamily (+78)

44048 - DomBradley (+76)

34528 - Evandro (+74)

33736 - TheActivisionary (+72) (+10)

26237 - Atarian7 (+70)

25520 - GBAG (+68)

19930 - DrMooCowz (+66)

19569 - Fakecortex (+64)

18531 - ClassicGamer (+62)

17551 - MoisesTuseto (+60)

17390 - AGB (+58)

13692 - RGC (+56)

11988 - Krytol (+54)

8513 - LaurenTyler (+52)

7191 - MarkGriff (+50)

5909 - Atari_Warlord (+48)

5284 - Mchetzel (+46)

Overall Standings

Possible Major League Competitors

1098     Kermit
1048     AtariSphinx
1042     JasonHRB
1024     SkippyBCoyote
966     Nads
944     MarkGriff
931     Evandro
900     Absalon
892     JGKspsx
883     Dr Moocowz
881     OyamaFamily
877     JasonAtari
858     Vocelli
800     DomBradley
761     Atarian7
752     Maloff

Possible Minor League Competitors

721     Keilbaca
718     FakeCortex
713     LaurenTyler
695     Atari_Warlord
690     TheActivisionary
688     McCallister
616     Mchetzel
573     MoisesTuseto
570     GBAG
519     AGB
507     Deteacher
448     RGC
435     RaymanC
414     Roadrunner
397     CrazyClimber
367     ClassicGamer

The Rest of the Competitors

326     RetroBreakout
275     Krytol
221     CTelkin
210     Ed
174     DataFry
171     Lord Innit
141     JoeBradley
118     Diamonds
114     ZeroPageHomebrewJames
97     GType
89     Atariwarlord
86     JacobZu7Zu7
78     ArmscarCoder
77     Jblenkle
76     ZeroPageHomebrewTanya
70     AlNafuur
70     ThomasJentsch
50     Sramirez
48     Nester
41     ZilchSr
38     IsaiahAustin
38     RockPile
29     DevWebci
21     BetwixtThieves
19     ZeroPageHomebewDarcy
3     Capitain Classic

Season 12 will have:

~ THE LAST WEEK Beat the leader week

The TOP 32 will qualify for the Medal Bracket Challenge.

Edited by Vocelli
  • Like 2

Basically, it is like bumper cars.

Bump into dots so they collide with the sides (thus eventually destroying them) while you avoid touching the sides (destroys you).

Use a 'decoy' to get dots away from you.

Not sure how scoring points goes. I think you get more points if you gather the dots in the capture chambers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Vocelli said:

Not sure how scoring points goes. I think you get more points if you gather the dots in the capture chambers.

The manual indicates you get 200 points for smashing any particle that splits into two smaller particles and 50 points for smashing the particles small enough to be destroyed in one hit.  Each control rod along the left and right wall is worth 50 points.  If you get particles in the bonus chambers, each bounce is worth 10-15 points.  These bonus points are added to your score after you die unless you've accumulated more bounces than the bonus counter can track, at which point it adds the points to your score right away.  Any decoys left at the end of the game earn 500 points.

The manual does not explain how you can end up with scores that are not multiples of 5.  I may try to spend some time with video this week to figure out where the manual and reality differ in terms of scoring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reactor: 399145

With more consistency, I could probably roll the score at 1M, but I'm not sure I'll want to play the ~6 hours required.  I'm not a fan of marathons and it took 2.5 hours to fall just short of 400k.

My game photo shows an Easter Egg.  The letters "CH" shown below the score are the programmer's initials (Charlie Heath).  They appear at the end of the game if you score 200k or more.

@Vocelli You may want consider setting rollage for this game at 200k.  Once you make it past the fourth series of boards (the vortex with invisible walls), the game repeats these levels and does not increase in difficulty.  To score 200k requires completing these boards a few times and will typically take 60-90 minutes.

image.thumb.png.8e603c716d7600deb7b55a6aa9bfd719.png

• Like 6

What a clever game this is. It made no sense to me at all at first, but once the game mechanics are understood, the whole thing is surprisingly intuitive. The action ramps up nicely, and it gets frantic quite quickly. The changing reactor layout adds more challenge. and the whole "destroy the enemies but it's not a shooter" vibe is one I really like. Yet another example (there are many in the 2600 catalogue, and we've played loads this season) of a game that is simply better than it has any right to be given the technical specs of the hardware and memory used. My only (minor) gripe is that the colours are a bit drab. Parker Brothers seemed to do this a lot (popeye is another example), and it's a shame inho. Still an absolute blast of a game.

Anyway, time for me to shut up and provide a score ?

Oh, and a quick P.S for @kermit73 (and anyone else who's interested). The reason you can get a score that isn't a multiple of 5, is that you seem to get points every time that you "bump" a particle without actually destroying it. This part of the score goes up 1 point at a time

Reactor (1983) (Parker Bros)_2.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jasonhrb said:

My only (minor) gripe is that the colours are a bit drab. Parker Brothers seemed to do this a lot (popeye is another example), and it's a shame inho. Still an absolute blast of a game.

I tend to agree.  Parker Brothers graphics could use some improvement, but I give them very high marks on their sounds.  They did particularly well getting the music in Popeye, Frogger, Gyruss, and even Reactor to sound right.

7 hours ago, Jasonhrb said:

Oh, and a quick P.S for @kermit73 (and anyone else who's interested). The reason you can get a score that isn't a multiple of 5, is that you seem to get points every time that you "bump" a particle without actually destroying it. This part of the score goes up 1 point at a time

Yep - I discovered this while playing and didn't mention it in my previous post.  I don't think this scoring is mentioned anywhere in the manual.  It also seems like the bounces in the bonus chamber are 15 points until you max out the counter.  After you die, it seems to run up the score in 15-point increments, but after maxing out the counter, it gives you 10-points each bounce right away.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 2:28 PM, Atari_Warlord said:

Is the Trackball Version fair game?

I'm guessing not because using an analog trackball would probably provide you with a distinct advantage over other players in the control department, but I'd like to hear from @Vocelli on this one too since I'd never pass up an opportunity to break out the old CX-80 Trak-Ball! :-D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

I'm guessing not because using an analog trackball would probably provide you with a distinct advantage over other players in the control department, but I'd like to hear from @Vocelli on this one too since I'd never pass up an opportunity to break out the old CX-80 Trak-Ball! :-D

Yes, you can use the trackball.

• Like 4