IGNORED

#FujiNet feasibility for Comlynx gameplay

mozzwald

I've been looking into what it might take to get internet gameplay working with Comlynx, possibly using #FujiNet. FujiNet code/hardware is probably overkill as I'm only considering Comlynx and not game loading. The esp8266 is probably suitable in this case and would be a very low cost add on.

The basic idea is to use the esp8266 as a wifi bridge, taking the serial data from Lynx and piping it over the network back and forth. Down the road I imagine a server somewhere handling the initial connection, but to start just direct 1 to 1 by ip/hostname.

In my forum searches here it appears the Lynx uses non standard bauds (62500) which is not a problem for the esp8266 or esp32. My understanding from what I've read, though, is that games pick their own serial settings so this could vary. Am I correct in this? If so, we could have a database/list of games and serial settings to choose from when starting the connection.

I'm hoping some lynx experts can chime in with any info and whether or not it seems doable. I have not had a lynx since the 90's so I would need to buy one to do any actual experimenting which is a costly endeavor with the current prices. If it looks promising enough, I can get one, but want to know more before I take the plunge. Is there any Comlynx documentation out there I can read up on?

Thanks,

mozzwald

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, 8bit-Dude said:

Hi Mozz! Are you still looking into this?

I have been mulling something along the same lines myself for a while, I would be interested to bounce ideas together.

We've made some progress. It works, with some lag / latency.

I finally have a Lynx with working screen and we played a nice long round of Rampart the other day until Thom's batteries died :D Had a blast, and I kicked his ass :lol:

• Like 2