IGNORED

RAVE PEBox

9640News

59 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Does anyone have any of the original drawings, paperwork, etc. on the RAVE PEBox?  

Does anyone own the rights to the hardware?  Not sure what eventually happened to the company, etc.

Beery

I asked got information about this box just a couple of weeks ago from @Ksarul

He said:

"Look at the description of the 99AT box in the 1987 issues of the Ryte Data newsletter. There is an initial article on it somewhere in the 1986 issues as well. I have one of the backplane boards in my collection, but I don't remember if I got any documentation with it. . ."

I checked it out on the FTP site.  I tried to go get the link just now but I can't even get to the FTP site and just sits and never resolves.

8 hours ago, 9640News said:

Does anyone have any of the original drawings, paperwork, etc. on the RAVE PEBox?  

Does anyone own the rights to the hardware?  Not sure what eventually happened to the company, etc.

Beery

Rave 99 was one of the companies I got the rights to when I bought out Cecure. I have one of the Rave 99 P-Boxes that actually works. I might have an owners manual but I'm not sure why anyone would want one since any boards used with it needed their power supplies removed from them. This caused much confusion in the community and countless MYARC, CorComp and TI boards were ruined when those boards were removed from the Rave 99 P-Box and installed into TI P-Boxes. As far as I know there are no existing drawings and/or manuals available for the Rave 99 P-Box.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Actually, the discussion I had with @Shift838 was about the Ryte Date Microstuph PEB. They are rare in the extreme. I have the motherboard for one though--and no documentation.

The Rave99 PEB is a slightly different story. I own one and a half of those (the half box was a gift from @Gazoo). My original box came with a set of layouts for the boards in it, and I may even have a set of schematics with the set (I was a preorder buyer, those items were sent prior to the delivery of the box to show status of the project). I'll have to go digging to see where the manual is now as I haven't needed to reference it for a few years. . .

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

Actually, the discussion I had with @Shift838 was about the Ryte Date Microstuph PEB. They are rare in the extreme. I have the motherboard for one though--and no documentation.

The Rave99 PEB is a slightly different story. I own one and a half of those (the half box was a gift from @Gazoo). My original box came with a set of layouts for the boards in it, and I may even have a set of schematics with the set (I was a preorder buyer, those items were sent prior to the delivery of the box to show status of the project). I'll have to go digging to see where the manual is now as I haven't needed to reference it for a few years. . .

My interest is seeing if there is an existing computer case on the market that could accommodate the 99/4A motherboard and wire it with everything (TIPI/PI, Sams card, and drives) to make it an all encompassing unit using a wireless keyboard and the F18a setup.  

Beery

One of the members in my club (VAST) had one of those boxes. It was equipped with a Myarc HFDC and hard drive. As I remember I was going over there about once a week to get the damn thing working for him. I think the major problem with it was the interface board for the TI motherboard.

4 hours ago, 9640News said:

My interest is seeing if there is an existing computer case on the market that could accommodate the 99/4A motherboard and wire it with everything (TIPI/PI, Sams card, and drives) to make it an all encompassing unit using a wireless keyboard and the F18a setup.  

Beery

i did this with a full tower case a few years back.  i'll have to find the thread.

37 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Thanks!

found it.  The start of the project is below:

I do plan on revisiting it with my new 838-PEB board i am designing to fit into a ATX type case.  I should have it ready to order a prototype next couple of weeks.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

The owners manual to the rave box is on whtech. Has been there many years. I do have the original manual that came with mine, somewhere. I have the one, mother board and interface card, + the internal part of the case, that could use the Geneve and TI99. Was going mount it in a large AT case at one time, then two years ago, started to put it into a Smilodon tower, but haven't completed it yet. Never have had it operational, and would like to decode the pals on the two boards.