IGNORED

Interon VC-4000 RGB Mod

the_crayon_king

I ordered a console; so assuming it works when it gets here I should have a RGB mod ready soon after.

(this kit would be the same kits I have for Intellivison just flashed differently)

I have found a pallet to use here.

I found this text (in reference to the OBJ/SCR pin of the 2636):

"A further complication is that some consoles such as the Interton VC4000 use these signals to alter the brightness of the colour, while others use it to invert the colour."

However, the data I have seen shows it always being used to invert colors not add additional colors.

If someone could clarify that point or otherwise find instance of it being used to add colors let me know. 

Regardless, assuming OBJ/SCR is used at all (unlike on the Arcadia 2001?) then I can have the "COLSEL" pin act to switch the function of OBJ/SCR on the colors. As in have it be toggled to switch between inverting RGB or to adding additional colors. 

NOTES:

• The color adding (instead of inverting) using the TEA1002 data would make the same color pallet as the Mattel Aquarius. This would also mean the console would have 16 possible colors instead of 8.
  • I am aware that RGB could be created much simpler., and I still may do that and provide a PCB design for that. However, I do not plan to produce a simpler kit because the demand probably wouldn't be sufficient. 
  • If someone is interested enough I may offer these up in advance of getting my personal console to test on.

TLDR; I will make a RGB kit for this console (and it's variations). If you have any input for that let me know. 

I hate to double post but just to put this out there I have the code done now.

EXT not jumped:

Pallet 1 (COLSEL not jumped) TEA1001 - OBJ/SCR logic 1 inverts colors.

Pallet 2 (COLSEL jumped)       TEA1001 - OBJ/SCR logic 1 makes colors darker (like the Aquarius). 

EXT jumped:

Pallet 3 (COLSEL not jumped) BruceAbbots pallet for Aquarius.

Pallet 4 (COLSEL jumped) My personal colors I called min/mid/max saturation

I could replace my personal pallet with a "non-invert" which would just ignore the state of the OBJ/SCR pin. 

I  = OBJ/SCR

R = C1 Red

G = C2 Green 

B = C3 Blue

Truth Table:

IRGB Color

0000 : Black?

0001 : Blue

0010 : Green

0011 : Cyan

0100 : Red

0101 : Magenta

0110 : Yellow

0111 : White

1000 : White/Grey

1001 : Dark Yellow

1010 : Dark Magenta

1011 : Dark Red

1100 : Dark Cyan

1101 : Dark Green

1110 : Dark Blue

1111 : Black?

One of the "Black?" could be a dark grey if needed. 

Edited by the_crayon_king

• 3 weeks later...

HJa2TuU.png

So I got the Grundig Superplay 4000 and apparently it already puts out RGB (Pictured Left). 

It also doesn't use the O/S for anything other than inverting the colors. (goes through XOR with RGB bits).

Simply put the Grundig (and probably others) are limited to 8 colors even though it has bits enough for 16 colors. 

I put it through a the Baked Potato kit I have and you can see the difference.

Not that I am settled on colors but having the road be grey instead of white is cool.

Obviously, since it is running through a kit you can toggle the 8 or 16 color pallet at any time. 

The picture looks bad because so far I cannot get this to run on anything other than the XRGB. 

Edited by the_crayon_king