IGNORED

Reports of a new Twisted Metal on the horizon...

There were many flashier games on PSX, with a bigger wow factor, but TM 1 & 2 were probably my most played. The AI, and thus replayability, was incredible for the time. And online multiplayer wasn't that accesible back then so this series delivered a great deathmatch fix instead. Haven't played the later instalments, and am not sure if a new one would work for me. It'd be probably online MP focused (wasn't Black online only?)...

Didn't know they are making a TV series out of it, seems an odd choice....it didn't  think it was ever that popular. Also, how do you pull that one off? You can't make it super serious and "funny" one would probably be a bit corny.

Edited by youxia
  • Like 3

I always enjoyed playing the Twisted Metal series of games.  The first two were an absolute blast!  The multiplayer online stuff in later systems did not interest me.

I'm excited to see what the new version will bring to the series.  Perhaps it'll encourage me to get a PS5.  If they focus on online multiplayer, I'll likely skip the game.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, youxia said:

Didn't know they are making a TV series out of it, seems an odd choice....it didn't  think it was ever that popular. Also, how do you pull that one off? You can't make it super serious and "funny" one would probably be a bit corny.

The monkey’s paw aspect of the contestants’ wishes was really entertaining in the first and second games. I think if it channeled that vibe and split the difference between funny and grim it would be pretty entertaining. But I can see it easily going wrong too. It would have to be animated, I can’t see live action working unless they do some only vaguely related “Mad Max crossed with Walking Dead” sort of thing.

• Like 2

@youxia TM Black had an online version that did get released on its own, whereas the original release wasn't. I also know that the PSP version of Head-On also had online support that shut down years ago, but the PS2 version didn't, but had the remnants of Harbor City and the removed endings from the original as a trade-off.

@King_Salamon TM PS3 had splitscreen multiplayer included, which was a smart move on Eat Sleep Play's behalf.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 1:21 PM, SlidellMan said:

This is rather fascinating:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com//news/sonys-firesprite-takes-over-twisted-metal-as-motorstorm-director-is-hired

For those not familiar with Firespite, they were founded by former Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool members.

Will be interesting to see if they can revive the series.  If they do, hopefully they are able to advance the series as well as integrate the best parts of the previous versions.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

The monkey’s paw aspect of the contestants’ wishes was really entertaining in the first and second games.

Hah, right, I totally forgot about that. It's hard to believe over 2 decades have passed already...

This reminds me I should have another stab at getting into the Vigilante 8 games. I missed them back then, and when I had tried the first one recently I wasn't too impressed initially, because I couldn't suss out the controls. I did manage it on second approach and it turned out to be a lot of fun. Now I have N64 I should give the 2nd Offense a spin...

• Like 2

I never got into Vigilante 8 either. Interstate 76 confused me but it remains a game I want to dig into, but Vigilante 8 was just so stripped down and seemingly shallow by comparison.

I loved the SingleTrac clones/spinoffs of the games they did for Sony. Rogue Trip and Critical Depth had issues, but they were much more on the same grotesque and funny wavelength of the first two TM games. Streak Hoverboard Racing was a fairly decent takeoff on Jet Moto - not nearly as good but better than JM3. And Outwars (for Microsoft!) felt like a cool spinoff of Warhawk with slightly less awesomely cheesy FMV, as well as a possible precursor to Halo. It is a shame they folded.

• Like 2

I never played any game in the series. But I do remember lots of 90s gaming magazines featuring the games. So about a month back I picked up twisted metal 2 for the PlayStation, took it home and played it for an hour. Didn’t love it. Wasn’t very good at it either, but I plan on returning to try to find the fun that is evidently there, based on its fans.   

It is interesting that they are working on a new twisted metal game after all the years. 

• Like 1

It's a shame that Rogue Trip and Critical Depth never got PC ports when compared to early Twisted Metal and Jet Moto. (Good look on getting the Win95 versions of TM1, TM2, and the two Jet Motos to run on a modern machine.)

Vigilante 8 has surprisingly aged well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cafeman said:

I never played any game in the series. But I do remember lots of 90s gaming magazines featuring the games. So about a month back I picked up twisted metal 2 for the PlayStation, took it home and played it for an hour. Didn’t love it. Wasn’t very good at it either, but I plan on returning to try to find the fun that is evidently there, based on its fans. 

Twisted Metal 2 has some rough edges that were sanded over on Head On, but it also has a stronger sense of progression than anything else in the series. Once you play the New York City battle against Minion, you'll never forget it. To get the most out of it, it is essential to learn all of the Street Fighter II special moves for each character you play as. It's also important to choose a good character, as they are not very balanced. Good luck getting anywhere with Grasshopper. My favorites are Spectre, Mr Grimm, Axel, and Sweet Tooth. The lowrider is pretty good too. You either need speed or durability and you always need a special move that will do some real damage.

It's also important to learn the environments. There are a lot of ways to use them to your advantage beyond just the environmental special weapons, and for some weapons like the TNT catching your enemies on the other side of a warp with them is the only way to effectively use them. Plus it's just fun to see the world and wreck it.

Also, there's no getting around it: it's at its best when playing against real players. Playing deathmatches online with the PC version was unquestionably the highlight of my online gaming life, as I was about as good as everyone else playing or maybe a little better.  Nowadays, I barely stand a chance in anything because so many people make playing one game the only thing they do with their lives.

• Like 1

@jgkspsx I have to agree, and Rob Zombie did not belong on that list for one simple reason: He was only in one game in the series.

By the way, I have written a rant on Axel specifically that I plan on doing an audio version soon.

Random, personal, TM Miscellania:

-My personal favorite versions of Sweet Tooth are the Black and PS3 trucks.

-Darkside should have been fully playable in TM3, and with an actual storyline. (Ditto for TM2.)

-My all-time favorite car in the series is Crimson Fury.

-Favorite stages in TM2 are New York, Antarctica, Paris, and Amazonia.

-Minion should never have been dropped from Twisted Metal: Head-on. (Though Cousin Eddy's ending was the best in the game.)

-Harbor City was quite promising, and too bad that it got cancelled.

• Like 1