IGNORED

TI Impact Printer Serial Card Dip switch settings

acadiel

I can’t find these anywhere for the TI Impact Serial daughter card.  I can only find them for the ones built into the main printer for the Centronics interface (attached.)

Does anyone have the serial dip switch info?  Also, there’s a jumper that was resoldered on mine too, but I don’t have any docs about what it does.

DE287955-5F25-4F4B-9B38-4C025154C45E.jpeg

FD6A3EC9-C0EF-41BD-8073-6BC308EABC16.jpeg

F51F75D5-88D3-4ABB-8399-41A4BDC5BE57.jpeg

D5F72EA1-1B9D-442A-823F-59F519383E67.jpeg

B1DDA371-713D-46FC-926D-928AD3322FFD.jpeg

• Like 2

If anyone finds the TI documentation for this serial card, I'd appreciate it if you put it on this thread (even if it's years in the future).

Also, just dumping this here.  Garrett Meirs gave me this link:

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/epson/impact/8145.htm

The card is an 8145.  And @Ksarul, there's the IEE488 card that you mentioned.

image.thumb.png.fc68b6af26e4025ea84b86ad80c84e45.png

• Like 2

After deep hunting, I found the part number for the EPSON serial board: 8155. Thay have a picture of one with the box at Computerhistory. No luck on where mine might be though. . .and they sold for about $190 each at the end of 1983 (price pulled from the 11-83 issue of ETI). This version apparently has a 4K buffer, which means it is a bit later then the 8145--but it may still maintain compatibility, based on their numbering schemes and the board itself (part number match).

• Like 2

I have the full manual for the FX80 if it has anything of value.

Meanwhile- the serial board for the TI version is attached

Large jpg to download or a TXT file or a pdf- your choice!!!   -when viewing or printing the TXT file do use a monospaced font!

Ensure printer is disconnected from power and computer!

serialprinter.jpg

serialprinter.txt

serialprinter.pdf

Edited by blackbox
add pdf
  • Like 2

Hmm- the top photo does not look like the serial board TI fitted into their PHP2500. I can see an 8 switch but not a 4 switch, but I may be missing something.

As supplied both boards  (control and serial) should have both a 4 and 8 dip switch set.

- see attached sketch showing the dip switch positions for the serial board.   Could the board be a dealer-fitted Epson board fitted to adapt a standard Epson printer rather than the TI Printer which was sold with both serial and parallel as default?

See attached which is the "official" layout of the PHP2500 serial board which was fitted on top of the control board. There is a ground line connected at bottom right..

serialboardphp2500.jpg

Edited by blackbox

13 hours ago, blackbox said:

Hmm- the top photo does not look like the serial board TI fitted into their PHP2500. I can see an 8 switch but not a 4 switch, but I may be missing something.

As supplied both boards  (control and serial) should have both a 4 and 8 dip switch set.

- see attached sketch showing the dip switch positions for the serial board.   Could the board be a dealer-fitted Epson board fitted to adapt a standard Epson printer rather than the TI Printer which was sold with both serial and parallel as default?

See attached which is the "official" layout of the PHP2500 serial board which was fitted on top of the control board. There is a ground line connected at bottom right..

serialboardphp2500.jpg

Strange… well, it came with the printer, but wasn’t installed.  If anyone has a serial one that they’re not using, please let me know - I’d like go get the serial interface up and working.

I still can’t figure out this other one…. But will keep working on it.

Most interesting- especially if the printer is badged as TI. The TI PHP2500 was sold for the standalone RS232 PHP1700- which did not have a parallel port, so TI had to sell PHP2500 with the serial port ready installed- resulting in a printer with both serial and parallel sockets.
See attached image of the rear of the printer PHP2500, showing the added serial socket in a rather ad hoc cut out, also showing the Texas Instruments label on the back. The printer started as an Epson MX80 but TI modified it.
If you look at the right hand side of the serial port in this image, you can see the ground cable leading downwards.
When the PEB came out the RS232 card supported PIO which was the standard Epson printer interface,
For a little while Epson dealers could supply a serial conversion kit for anyone who needed one (for any computer)- this may be what you have, and it seems to be rather different to the one TI had fitted into their PHP2500.
In your printer is there room for a serial board to be added above the control board with four corner screws? If the printer is badged TI perhaps the TI  serial board failed- or was not fitted for some reason.
I don't think the PHP2500 manual is going to help with this one- you need the documentation for that particular Epson Serial Interface card, which is not the TI one...

php2500rear.jpg

Edited by blackbox
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have continued hunting here, and I have finally found the settings for the exact board pictured by @acadiel. It even specifies the default settings for the wire links scattered all over the board, so we can compare them to the settings TI used. The part number for this board is NOT an 8145, as we all thought, but an 8143. Here is the link to a site with the data--just scroll down the page and find lots of EPSON setting goodness. I copied this here for posterity, just in case the other site ever disappears, as it is the only place I have ever seen that documented this card.

EPSON, INC.

NEW SERIAL INTERFACE #8143

Card Type

Serial interface card

Chipset/Controller

Unidentified

I/O Options

Serial interface

Maximum DRAM

N/A

EPSON-INC-Serial-interface-card-NEW-SERIAL-INTERFA-1.png

CONNECTIONS

Purpose

Serial Interface

CN1

HANDSHAKING PROTOCOL

Function

J1

J2

J3

J4

J5

Pull up "TTY-TXD" to +12V via 470 W

On

Off

Off

Off

Off

Connect : "TTY-TXD Return" to Signal Ground

Off

On

Off

On

Off

Pull up "TTY-RCD" to +12V via 470 W

Off

Off

On

Off

Off

Pull up "DSR" and "DCD" to +12V via 4.7k W

Off

Off

Off

Off

On

Note:The factory default setting for J1, J2, J3, and J4 is Off. The factory default setting for J5 is on.

DTR PROTOCOL

Signal

JNOR

JREV

»

DTR=MARK (RS232), TTY-TTD = MARK (current loop)

On

Off

DTR=SPACE (RS232), TTY-TXD = SPACE (current loop)

Off

On

Note:MARK = logic "1" (-3 to -27V), SPACE = logic "0" (+3 to +27V) for RS232C For Current loop, MARK = logic "1" (current on), SPACE = logic "0" (current Off).

INPUT DATA CONFIGURATION

Data

JC

JRS

»

RS232 level

Off

On

Current loop level

On

Off

OUTPUT DATA CONFIGURATION

Output

JF

JX

»

Reverse channel flag to TTY-TXD (current loop)

Off

On

X-On/X-Off signal to TTY-TXD (current loop)

On

Off

DATA BIT SELECTION

Data Bit

SW1/2

»

On

Off

PARITY CONFIGURATION

Setting

Parity check

SW1/5