IGNORED

5200 Edladdin Joystick

5200Fanatic

Hi!

Thanks so much for your interest. 

We are definitely still planning to release this controller.  We got sidetracked for a very long time by a bug in the hardware and COVID, in which our 82 year old, now-retired engineer refused to see me until we all got vaccinated.  Meanwhile he'd moved into an RV and sailed away, so it was another 4 months until we were back in the same part of the world.  And then we had a very busy season with the other product lines that are our daily bread and butter.

Anyhow...  We have a v2 prototype now that is ready for testing.   If everything plays ok, we should be ready to move to a full release late in the summer or early in the fall. 

Feature set:

• Hall-Effect analog self-centering joystick
  • Ambidextrous button layout
  • Knob control with spinner and paddle modes
  • 3D printed frame over the keypad for holding OG and repo overlays
  • Masterplay-style 9 pin Aux In for using CX10/40 and Sega Genesis controllers on binary control games

I sure hope we can pull this off...  I got my four port 5200 when I was 14 years old and have been a big fan ever since.  I really want to be able to deliver a killer arcade controller to the 5200 community.

Ed

PS:  Unlike the Kickstarter campaign we used to launch our ColecoVision and multi-console controllers, with this one we will simply start a big batch when all the parts are on hand, then open the gates to regular orders.  I don't want to take a penny of anyone's money until we are 100% ready to deliver the goods.

Edladdin-Super-52-Protoype.jpg

IMG_5706.JPG

IMG_5707.JPG

IMG_E8834.JPG

IMG_E8836.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Myself as well. It's a good thing I chose the 5200 instead of the XEGS as my 8-bit Atari console of choice, the spinner mode will be THE control of choice ESPECIALLY for Tempest, this is great news for both Edladdin and AtariAge as I am sure that once the spinner mode is proven (by US 5200 owners who own both Tempest and this new controller) sales will go through the roof for both parties. I CAN'T WAIT!!! (even though I will have to but in anticipation)

• Like 2

Ill keep you posted!

Count me in for one as well!

And Ed… will you be at CORGS next month? I’m flying in to hang out with Rick Reynolds at The Intellivisionaries table. I know Rick was right next to your table last year.

Sent from unspecified hardware using indeterminate software

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nurmix said:

And Ed… will you be at CORGS next month? I’m flying in to hang out with Rick Reynolds at The Intellivisionaries table. I know Rick was right next to your table last year.

Sadly, I wont be able to make it to CORGS this year.  The pandemic timing of October in 2021 actually fit my schedule way better.  So sorry to miss meeting you!

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 8:21 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Look forward to trying Tempest with the spinner.

I tested the spinner with the AA Homebrew Tempest cart last night.  It plays great.... except the rotation on screen is backwards of what I see with the knob. 

Apparently this is a Known Thing?  William Culver said he built a spinner using an old CX-52 and it did the same thing.

Everything else I tried with the spinner/paddle modes, the movement was correct:

Pete's Diagnostic Cart

Super Breakout

Pole Position

Galaxian

Space Invaders

With the last two, there is a lag of about 10 degrees of rotation before the ship/base moves at all which make this a not-useful mode.  I'm not sure why this happens, since both games play great with the Trak-Ball and the Super 52 paddle plays perfectly with Super Breakout.  Galaxian and SI both play fine with the Super 52 in joystick mode, with immediate and crisp responses.  I was also hopeful for spinner-based Gyruss, but it wants both axes. 

I need to try Gorf and Kaboom....  Are there any other "paddle" games on the 5200 to try?   Anything with a single axis and looking for analog inputs?

The Tempest proto that is in some ROM sets for use with AtariMax did not play correctly at all.  Is that version supposed to be complete? 

Edited by edladdin

I think what you are seeing with Tempest is normal for the 360 degree playing feilds. Level 8 switches to 180 degree playing feilds and works as you would expect. Gorf works but needs both x and y axis. There is an xl conversion of clowns and balloons that works with a paddle. Kaboom should work fine aswell:-) Re space invaders and galaxians, i have noticed the same delays on a paddle controller. btw. Love Your Design and Artwork !

Edited by Nik Brisevac
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Machine said:

Is GORF on the 5200 a spinner game??

No but it does use the same controllability as games like Missile Command and Super Breakout, in other words, it's the same speed sensitive, true pinpoint analog control. Very touchy at that. It's not like Centipede or anything like that, where it would be at "2-speed" mode, where it is that the further off-center you point the stick it the faster it gets.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nik Brisevac said:

I think what you are seeing with Tempest is normal for the 360 degree playing feilds. Level 8 switches to 180 degree playing feilds and works as you would expect. Gorf works but needs both x and y axis. There is an xl conversion of clowns and balloons that works with a paddle. Kaboom should work fine aswell:-) Re space invaders and galaxians, i have noticed the same delays on a paddle controller. btw. Love Your Design and Artwork !

Thank you, you've managed to clear up several of my questions, all at the same moment!

And thank you for your kind words on the brand identity!  ?   At the beginning we had to decide if we wanted to riff on Atari and ColecoVision logos/game art, but we planned/hoped to stay in the community for years to come, so we didn't ever want to be at risk of being put out of business by the legitimate IP holders.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, edladdin said:

Thank you, you've managed to clear up several of my questions, all at the same moment!

And thank you for your kind words on the brand identity!  ?   At the beginning we had to decide if we wanted to riff on Atari and ColecoVision logos/game art, but we planned/hoped to stay in the community for years to come, so we didn't ever want to be at risk of being put out of business by the legitimate IP holders.

You, be, YOU. You were right on being an original rather than doing something inspired by others who did it in the past by copying their font and/or their image, because no matter how inspired by something else of the same fit it is, even though it's your own take of it, there's always gonna be someone out there who will somehow have a cow about it. 

Atari's lawyers did all those decades ago, when they sued Philips/Magnavox over their K.C. Munchkin game for Odyssey 2, even though it too, was inspired by Pac-Man, BUT, had it's own original playing field and also had floating dots as opposed to static dots as well as original mazes that changed every level. Nowadays it's (in ROM form) available for not only O2 but also other systems such as the 2600 herself and even the 7800 had one, however it has never been done for either A8 or 5200 before, perhaps there is someone out there who might want to homebrew it for Big Sexy and/or A8. That and K.C.'s Krazy Chase would be awesome to play on the 5200/A8.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2022 at 2:56 AM, nurmix said:

Count me in for one as well!

Sent from unspecified hardware using indeterminate software

I'll be at the table next to Rick, so stop by and say hi to me!

Steve

• Like 1