IGNORED

7800 Keyboard

Tempest

On 4/20/2022 at 10:37 PM, Mitch said:

It is on the master parts list right between Millipede and Track and Field. I also forgot about Crystal Castles, there is actually box art for that one.

Mitch

Crystalcastlesbox.JPG

Wha... how did I miss this box getting found?

Does someone have a better picture of the screenshot?  Seems like there are color overlays rolled up in that photo, so we just see the B+W.  It'd be amazing to see a color screenshot.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thegamezmaster said:

This would be great to have for the Atari 7800. Saw some screen shots and to me a step up in graphics from A5200 and A8 computer graphics. Love to see it. 

I don't recall talk of Jr. Pac-Man on the 7800. There had been plans for Pac-Land prior to the sale of Atari Inc's Consumer Division to TTL which then contributed to the long delay of the release of the 7800 outside of the initial test marketing campaign. 

Had Atari Inc remained intact, Pac-Land would've been available for it probably before Super Mario Bros was released for the Famicom in Japan. Pac-Land released on the 7800 that itself was nationally and internationally released on-time for Christmas 1984 would've massively blunted the demand for Super Mario Bros on the NES during its test marketing campaign in NYC for Christmas 1985 and thereafter. 

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

Nice!  Thanks for that.  Can I borrow that for my site?

Sure, go for it. Let me know if you want any more pics. I will probably pack up my Atari lab stuff back up soon.

Mitch

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Sure, go for it. Let me know if you want any more pics. I will probably pack up my Atari lab stuff back up soon.

Mitch

Anything you have would be great.  I'm starting to expand my 7800 section.  I'm hoping to have some major news soon.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Cool!

Finally getting back to some of the 7800 protos that have been out for a while like Desert Falcon and Impossible Mission?

Mitch

Yes and some new ones I was given.  I have a few on my page already if you look.  Bob has been helping me analyze them.  F you're interested I can send you the roms, just shoot me a PM.

5 hours ago, gambler172 said:

Btw.

I got this cart with two chips.

One is

c 101629 

Sharp Japan

1987 Atari 8732 D

The other 101630

Sharp Japan

1987 Atari 8734 D

Are these 7800 chips?

Or whatelse?

Those numbers match these:

C101629   ST / Mega U.S. TOS 1.2 1 MEG (HI) ROM   $15.00
C101630   ST / Mega U.S. TOS 1.2 1 MEG (L0) ROM   $15.00

From Best Electronics custom IC list.  https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/custom-i.htm

18 minutes ago, Tempest said:

From the looks of it, tests the color hues on the 7800.  Basically a diagnostic/test tool.  I found something similar for the 2600 years ago.

Pretty much.   Joystick movement allows changing the background color to whichever value is selected.  The default being, as shown above, $00.

7 hours ago, The Usotsuki said:

It's called complexity.

(Note: I *have* written emulators)

Well, if you've already written an atari 7800 emulator, you can do something called "Modifying", and I'm sure we at the A7800 Atariage community can help too. ?

That looks to be an 8k dump, repeated. Comparing the first 8k of your dump with the Color Selector Demo in Trebor's pack, I find that 3 bytes differ...

Binary files Color Selector Demo (2003) (PD).bin and /tmp/color.short differ
Color Selector Demo (2003) (PD).bin and /tmp/color.short differ
8189 bytes match.
3 bytes don't match.
====================================================================
0000007f: | 20 . | a3 . |
000000ff: | 1a . | a3 . |
000002ff: | 19 . | e2 . |

These appear to be some kind of dump or bitrot issue, as a JSR opcode (20) is changed to an illegal "LAX (zp, x)" and it doesn't make any sense in the context of the surrounding code. I haven't dug into the other 2 byte changes.

The second, third, and fourth 8k chunks from your dump are identical to the Color Selector Demo in Trebor's pack.