IGNORED

What Lynx games do you just absolutely hate?

T.A.P.

There are a few I just can't stand whatsoever, probably because they were some of the only ones I had as a kid, and when you're a kid, you play with what you have even when you don't like them.

For me it's Dracula, Super Skweek, and Cyberball.

Even when I try to replay them these days, to see if I like them enough to consider rebuying them, all it takes is a few minutes with an emulator for me to go 'NOPE!' all over again.

All three to me are just dull and plodding, and in Cyberball's case, always just feels super hard.

I've had that problem with most Lynx sports games really, I always just get steamrolled y the computer and turn it off in frustration.

What about you?

• Like 1

Tournament Cyberball 2072 was one of only three Lynx games I had as a kid. I played all three to death. You can put me in Cyberball fan club, I might be the only one. I always try to get a shutout, but so far I have never done it.

Edit: I guess I should answer the question too. Hydra and S.T.U.N. Runner have always been difficult for me and therefore are not favorites. But I cannot say I hate them.

Edited by jeremiahjt
Actually answered the question
  • Like 2

I also had Tournament Cyberball back in the day and as much as I played it and started to get good, I am not a huge fan. Also wasn't into Robotron 2084 (which I also had). It's not a bad game I guess, but I never played the arcade and it wasn't my preferred genre.

Oh and Basketbrawl can do one too... 

Dracula? I love that game, it's in my top 16!

As for me it has to be Batman, Pit Fighter and sports games. Only owned Batman back in the day and I didn't pay for it luckily. 'Lets throw a million respawning, explosive throwing enemies at you oh and not even give BATMAN a flying attack!' Not to mention if you get shot over an instant death drop on level 2 you fall straight down it and loose your only life. The graphics are some of the best on the system but give me gameplay any day. It's no Rygar.

• Like 2

Batman and Cyberball for sure.

Batman - just an annoying game reminiscent of those badly designed Commodore 64 action games.  Endless spawning enemies and no real variety in gameplay.

Cyberball - it's dull.  Nothing like the arcade version.  You repeat the same play and the cpu gets that annoying rubberband AI where they can score whenever it feels like.

• Like 1

I don't think I can say I hate any Lynx games.  I've been such an irrationally dedicated fanboy of the handheld for so much of my life that I feel some attachment to anything remotely associated with it.

That said, Turbo Sub had me severaly pissed off when I played it for the high score competition here a few years back.  It's generally regarded as a fairly good title.  But I found some parts of it frustratingly cheap to the point where I might never play it again.

Hard Drivin' deserves some flak too.  It's pretty impressive from a technical standpoint.  But it plays like rotting trash.  Its only defense is that it's marginally better than the SNES port, Race Drivin'.

• Like 2

Someday I would love to tweak the poly engines in Hard Drivin' or Steel Talons. If you could double the frame rate, you'd have a respectable game on a 30-year-old handheld.

Have to agree on Cal Games half-pipe -- I am terrible at that one, but really enjoy the other mini-games.

Edited by Songbird
  • Like 4

Robotron 2084 was very annoying to play on the Lynx.  The game looks and sounds great.  I love the music.  However, the controls don't do the game justice.  Due to Lynx design, there really isn't a good control option.  I was excited when I first bought the game, but quickly disappointed by it's high difficulty.  Maybe there is hope for getting better controls through a Lynx emulator...

• Sad 1

I guess a lot of people were subjected to Batman Returns since it came with some of the console deals.. its baffling that this was a choice for a first impression.

Music and graphic-wise its a great showcase, but I wonder how many of us never made it past the 2nd level; it could be ranked as one of the worst "platformer" levels ever designed.

• Like 3

I played Robotron on the Lynx before I ever had a chance to try the arcade original.  I actually love the Lynx port.  But I completely understand why somebody might not, as the control scheme is completely different.  But I think the Lynx port's difficulty has been adjusted to compensate for the more cumbersome controls.  It would be interesting to see the ROM modded to allow for twin-stick controls.  I bet it would instantly become much easier.

If you don't know, there are three control schemes to choose from on the Lynx port.  I don't care for the default one.  But there is a control scheme that has you firing in whichever direction you're moving when you first press Fire.  You continue firing in that direction until you release Fire.  I find it to be pretty effective, although still not as fast as the twin-stick original.

• Like 1

This is the control scheme I remember from Llamatron on ST, and it worked quite well (never really manage to get into Robotron as in comparision to the crazyness of Llamatron especially in 2 players mode, I never really manage to get into the game) .

At least, I thought the control scheme was perfect until I played Geometry Wars with a 360 pad and twin stick :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PFG 9000 said:

If you don't know, there are three control schemes to choose from on the Lynx port.  I don't care for the default one.  But there is a control scheme that has you firing in whichever direction you're moving when you first press Fire.  You continue firing in that direction until you release Fire.

Aaaah, yes, this is what I use too.

11 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

I guess a lot of people were subjected to Batman Returns since it came with some of the console deals.. its baffling that this was a choice for a first impression.

Music and graphic-wise its a great showcase, but I wonder how many of us never made it past the 2nd level; it could be ranked as one of the worst "platformer" levels ever designed.

Yeah, that level 2 is completely unforgiving. Not sure why they allowed that past QA except tight deadlines to rush out a brand-name pack-in game. If they would have just disabled the "shotgun blast stops you in midair" behavior, then level 2 wouldn't be so bad. I rarely make it to level 3, and haven't beaten level 3 because I can't reach it enough to get good at it!

• Like 1

I managed to finish the game once. The end of the game might be more disappointing than the level 2 mechanics if you can believe it ?

Come to think of it, it doesn't get much better after level 2... those penguins in level 3 shooting rockets are also impossible to avoid and it becomes a race against your health bar, and in the next level you have penguins shooting rockets while doing again some awful platforming. At least the final boss fight was "enjoyable" if you still have health and weapons left.

I was always disappointed that they didn't include more content like the first level.. its the only level that has a fair design.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Batman and Cyberball like everyone else, but I was going to mention Steel Talons. Haven't played Hard Drivin' on the Lynx to say how that is, but ST is another thing that's impressive to see the Lynx doing but it's not very fun to play, whereas the arcade version is (if you can come across an original arcade cab with those controls). 

I'll also throw out that Basketbrawl just isn't very fun on either the Lynx or 7800. 

Dracula though, I loved that one as it captured the atmosphere of the book quite well and presented the survival horror genre on a handheld. Only thing I hate about it is that the larger more complete version of the game has never been found. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 4:22 AM, Ninjabba said:

I was always disappointed that they didn't include more content like the first level.. its the only level that has a fair design.

Agreed that the first level of Batman is very cool. Lots of hidden powerups and interesting mechanics. I remember being frustrated by the shop blowing up at first, until I realized I could duck behind the mailbox to avoid the blast. How cool was that? Also the level 1 boss fight is pretty fair and easy to beat as long as you kept a healthy stash of boomerangs.

17 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Only thing I hate about it is that the larger more complete version of the game has never been found. 

You and me both! I've tried to find this but to no avail.

• Like 2