IGNORED

What Lynx games do you just absolutely hate?

T.A.P.

I have to disagree on Tournament Cyberball, while joining the fan club with the 2 other guys who like it here :) (so we're three in the world I guess)

It has 2 major flaws: 1) it's close to impossible to play the run play, so you just have to pass. 2) it's called tournament but... there's no tournament lol.. you play a game, win or loose that's the end.

Other than that it's pretty fun and I spent countless of hours on it.

But I do agree with @agradeneu world class soccer is the worse soccer game ever made, and gods know how many I played in my life!!!

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, zzip said:

Gauntlet the Third Encounter.  

I was a huge fan of the Gauntlet and Gauntlet II arcade games, but this didn't feel like Gauntlet to me.

Yeah.  I think this game started out as an Epyx dungeon crawler game before Atari bought the Handy hardware.   Then they just forced the Gauntlet name/license onto it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

Yeah.  I think this game started out as an Epyx dungeon crawler game before Atari bought the Handy hardware.   Then they just forced the Gauntlet name/license onto it.

Interesting..   That would explain a lot!   All this time I assumed it was a port of some Gauntlet III arcade game that I never encountered.   So I had no idea if it was a good or bad port of the original, I just knew it didn't feel like the first two :)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, zzip said:

Interesting..   That would explain a lot!   All this time I assumed it was a port of some Gauntlet III arcade game that I never encountered.   So I had no idea if it was a good or bad port of the original, I just knew it didn't feel like the first two :)

That's my theory, I'm sure others with more knowledge can confirm or deny, lol.

Also, the version of Rampage that came out was much different than the one that Epyx was working on prior to the Lynx launch.  The game was then tweaked and renamed Rampage, but it started out like some kind of offshoot of their movie monsters game complete with very different graphics and monsters.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

It makes sense.    The Gauntlet IP was owned by Atari Games/Tengen, not Atari Corp.    The fact that this game apparently came out for no other systems and instead there was apparently a different Gauntlet III published by Tengen supports the idea that Atari Corp may have just licensed the name for a Lynx game they already had in development.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, zzip said:

It makes sense.    The Gauntlet IP was owned by Atari Games/Tengen, not Atari Corp.    The fact that this game apparently came out for no other systems and instead there was apparently a different Gauntlet III published by Tengen supports the idea that Atari Corp may have just licensed the name for a Lynx game they already had in development.

Yes, it was a completely unrelated Epyx game, "Time Quests and Treasure Chests", that was ready to go for launch. Atari decided to hold it back so there would be something to release later, and in the process got Atari Games to license the name, which the game's creators did not appreciate. You can read more here: https://www.pressreader.com/uk/retro-gamer/20181024/281638191191093 (wow, I didn't notice who the author was initially... but it's still good content.)

I like it a lot, but I admit it's a lot better if you go in not thinking about Gauntlet. I would really love to play it multiplayer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

Also, the version of Rampage that came out was much different than the one that Epyx was working on prior to the Lynx launch.  The game was then tweaked and renamed Rampage, but it started out like some kind of offshoot of their movie monsters game complete with very different graphics and monsters.

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/2020/07/monster-demolition-and-impossible-mission-atari-lynx/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Yes, it was a completely unrelated Epyx game, "Time Quests and Treasure Chests", that was ready to go for launch. Atari decided to hold it back so there would be something to release later, and in the process got Atari Games to license the name, which the game's creators did not appreciate. You can read more here: https://www.pressreader.com/uk/retro-gamer/20181024/281638191191093 (wow, I didn't notice who the author was initially... but it's still good content.)

I like it a lot, but I admit it's a lot better if you go in not thinking about Gauntlet. I would really love to play it multiplayer.

Some info that's missing from that RG feature,which helps explain design choices from an alternative source- really wished RG magazine would use multiple sources when covering titles, you get a far more balanced insight when you do.. 

"Gauntlet the Third Encounter" was under development at the same time as
Lynx hardware was. In fact, the game was most of the way finished in
development before we had hardware to test it on. We tried one game as
a vertically based game as an experiment. We wanted to know what kind
of features in the system we could take advantage of. Many things in
the hardware design were changed because of the games that were being
written for the system. By the time we knew that playing Gauntlet
vertically would not be a good idea, it was "too late" to change the
orientation to horizontal. In fact, we had time, due to Epyx going
bankrupt, snags in our negotiations with Atari, delays in manufacturing,
etc.

All of the excuses in the world don't make the game any better for the
consumer, but this is what happened.

Stephen H. Landrum
Designer and programmer of Blue Lightning

The games cover art was an absolute scam as well, being the same cover as Gauntlet IV for the  MD.

Featuring as it does an. Elven archer and a warrior - two player characters which don't exist in the Lynx version ?

Gauntlet_The_Third_Encounter.JPG

Edited by Lostdragon
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, LordKraken said:

I have to disagree on Tournament Cyberball, while joining the fan club with the 2 other guys who like it here :) (so we're three in the world I guess)

It has 2 major flaws: 1) it's close to impossible to play the run play, so you just have to pass. 2) it's called tournament but... there's no tournament lol.. you play a game, win or loose that's the end.

Other than that it's pretty fun and I spent countless of hours on it.

But I do agree with @agradeneu world class soccer is the worse soccer game ever made, and gods know how many I played in my life!!!

True on the running plays.  Once I get up big I try to score with running plays if I am close.  It is not too difficult getting in on a quarterback run off of a pass play, but scoring on a designed run play is very tough.  Never thought about the tournament aspect either.  I just start a game, beat the socks off the computer, and start another one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RJ said:

Screenshot_20220309-175638_Gallery.jpg

Half Pipe is one of my favs.  I figured it out long ago and can score very well.  Your thumb has to follow the dude. As he descends, thumb down on the pad, as he ascends, thumb up on the joypad.  You kinda have "feel" the ride.  In fact, once you get the hang of it, you'll fly TOO high.  Be careful not be too aggressive on your spins while airborne.  Once figured out, it's GREAT (Tony the Tiger).

• Like 2

Electrocop - just has the kind of gameplay that I'm always rubbish at and don't find any fun in 

I'm another who can't do CG half pipe to save my life.

Super Off Road is a game where I hate the Lynx port rather than the actual game - I enjoy it on other systems.

I also can't do anything on NFL.  Wasn't really expecting to - I only bought it to fill that hole in my collection.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 4:33 AM, jgkspsx said:

Half Pipe in California Games. I don’t think I’ve ever scored a single point and I’ve been playing it since the Apple IIe in grade school.

Watch this and see if it helps ?

Didn't realise someone already referenced my video ?

Edited by BadPricey
Someone posted my video previously.
  • Thanks 2

Kung Food is a pretty rotten beat-em-up(?) action game. The idea is cute but the control is terrible, your character looks like a love child between the Jolly Green Giant & Captain Planet, and all of the music sounds like it is out of key.