IGNORED

Was SpeedScript ever made into a Cart?

mytek

2 hours ago, bf2k+ said:

It was a type-in from Compute Magazine.  I typed it in back in the mid-80's.  IIRC it was all data statements.

May, 1985.  5 pages of nothing but numbers to enter.  There is a note to refer to the "MLX" article before entering it.  I am assuming MLX is some sort of program to enter it.

Just now, reifsnyderb said:

May, 1985.  5 pages of nothing but numbers to enter.  There is a note to refer to the "MLX" article before entering it.  I am assuming MLX is some sort of program to enter it.

MLX article is the guide COMPUTE! put in about every third issue.  It simple is a guide to how to enter the programs, be they machine language (MLX or BASIC).  

2 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

Was SpeedScript published without source code?

Sincerely

Mathy

As far as "published"; I know you could order the complete program disk from COMPUTE!  Later they sold a manual for it.   The manual is online somewhere for download.  Basically takes all the instructions that were in the original article and puts into a manual-like booklet.   Really all that is needed to use the program is the quick-reference card printed within the article (the Keyboard Guide).  Great program.

Hello guys

I asked about the source code because that would make it easier to make changes to SpeedScript.  Not by me BTW, I 'm not a programmer.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS I seemed to remember that it was published by Compute, which was IIRC not one of those magazines that (always) published the source code.  But I also seem to remember that SpeedScript was available for other computers before it was available for the Atari 8 bit computers.  Maybe one of those versions came with a source code?

Compute! published a book with annotated source code, which was linked earlier in this thread: 

I found a comment in another thread with the source code from that book collected into a convenient zip file:

I prettied the code up a bit, made a few changes to let it build with atasm, modified it so it runs from a cartridge, added the annotations from the book as comments, then put it on GitHub: 

...all of which is a long winded way of saying that the source code is available :)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

I remember my dad and I typing in all the pages of MLX hexadecimal data. With CRC checks. Supposedly. After several long nights of either my dad reading and me typing, or vice versa, we finally had it typed in. And, .... it didn't work. That was very disappointing. A few months later I acquired a disk copy, which did work, and it was my favorite word processor at the time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ivop said:

I remember my dad and I typing in all the pages of MLX hexadecimal data. With CRC checks. Supposedly. After several long nights of either my dad reading and me typing, or vice versa, we finally had it typed in. And, .... it didn't work. That was very disappointing. A few months later I acquired a disk copy, which did work, and it was my favorite word processor at the time.

That's why I only typed in the BASIC programs.  I was able to debug them but couldn't debug pure hex data.

The copy of Speedscript I used was on a floppy disk.  I still have the floppy and it still works.   ?

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 1

A week later than promised, but here's the GitHub release: https://github.com/eyvind/speedcar/releases/tag/2022-05-01

I added the option to build an executable as well as a cartridge version. The cartridge rom is functionally identical to the last test version, but I moved a couple of variables around to make the conditional assembly for the executable simpler.

speedcar.rom

speedcar.xex

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 2:16 AM, Eyvind Bernhardsen said:

A week later than promised, but here's the GitHub release: https://github.com/eyvind/speedcar/releases/tag/2022-05-01

Hi Eyvind - thanks for doing this.

However I just want to verify one thing, is that ROM image at GitHub the same as 'speedcarpre4.rom' that you uploaded HERE a while back?

8 hours ago, Eyvind Bernhardsen said:

The file on github is (or should be?) the same as pre4 in terms of features, but is not identical because I fiddled with the memory layout to make the executable version.

I've included pre4 in the latest 64K ROM for the 576NUC+ since it had support for some of the extra PS/2 navigation keys, which is the keyboard that gets used on the NUC. Is this still considered to be an optimal release for this purpose?

13 hours ago, mytek said:

I've included pre4 in the latest 64K ROM for the 576NUC+ since it had support for some of the extra PS/2 navigation keys, which is the keyboard that gets used on the NUC. Is this still considered to be an optimal release for this purpose?

The release that's on GitHub also supports those keys (I downloaded and tested it to make sure), but since it has no important differences from the pre4 version there's no advantage to switching to it.

Using pre4 is fine :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...