IGNORED

...on the subject of MAR TESORO

andylama

RE: Mar Tesoro © Syncro Software by T(ed?) Clawges

I was suprised to recently learn that I was not the only person in the world to remember and love this game!

Does anybody know anything about the author or the publisher?

If at all possible, I'd like to track him/them down to ask permission to rework and distribute the game (non-profit), and possibly to write a PC clone, using the name.

Any tips would be appreciated.

No idea on the subject of rights. But Mar Tesoro (Sea Treasure) is written in straight Atari Basic...and only uses redefined text mode 2 for the graphics...so you should be able to "export" it to a file compatable with MS Qbasic relatively easy. Use Atari800Win to save it to a hard drive folder by typing LIST"D:TEXT.BAS", load it into Qbasic, and edit it to run on a PC. Naturally, all sounds, graphics, and memory locations would need to be changed.

Another suggestion is to simply update the game to use a multicolor character set (like Antic mode 4) and/or player/missile graphics for the movable objects (the ship, diver, and beast). This should be easy to add in, and you can read thru the Stan Ockers classic game "Crickets" published by Antic if you need help converting p/m object Ram to something speedier for Basic (like a string variable). Watch your number of added variables, tho (you might need an array).

Nukey,

Thanks muchly for the tips. I'm savvy to the first part (your first paragraph) and that's basically where I am now. With the help of Jindroush, I was able to reverse the effects of the dreaded STMCUR poke (hack protection). I'm now reading the BASIC listing on my PC. :)

As far as the existing game, I don't actually want to change the look and feel too much--I feel that it's important that it retain its original charm, warts and all. Just want to tweak a few minor playability issues and improve some verbage (no spellcheck or grammar check back then!)

Nevertheless, I appreciate your suggestions and I will experiment with them.

As for a PC clone--I actually do plan to do this, whether or not I can actually call it "Mar Tesoro". It will be a LITTLE more sophisticated, but I still want it to retain the simple (you might even say "crude") feel of the original. One thing it MUST have is that distinctive 'prompt' sound it made.

For me, it's all about the nostalgia. :D

Thanks again,

Andy

• 12 years later...

Good Day Atarians,

I see this deadthread has no answer for me, so I must poke it. I am teaching my young son about basic on a rescued Atari 400 and this game interests him. So, I am looking for a way to access the basic listing.

I'd appreciate any assistance.

CLOADing the .cas yields only the loading screen, I presume the STMCUR mentioned below is preventing me from accessing the listing.

Many thanks.

KB

• Like 1

Good Day Atarians,

I see this deadthread has no answer for me, so I must poke it. I am teaching my young son about basic on a rescued Atari 400 and this game interests him. So, I am looking for a way to access the basic listing.

I'd appreciate any assistance.

CLOADing the .cas yields only the loading screen, I presume the STMCUR mentioned below is preventing me from accessing the listing.

Many thanks.

KB

The attached files in ATR are unprotected. You can copy them to other disk and list them.

Also, once the game is loaded and run, just hit RESET key and list it.

I tried not to alter the file contents.

You can make CAS out of the files if you you wish.

madi

Mar Tesoro_Unprotected.atr

• Like 1

The attached files in ATR are unprotected. You can copy them to other disk and list them.

Also, once the game is loaded and run, just hit RESET key and list it.

I tried not to alter the file contents.

You can make CAS out of the files if you you wish.

madi

Sorry, didn't notice that I had attached the unprotected file. Please find the correct unprotected ones.

Mar Tesoro_Unprotected_Good.atr.atr

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

How did you remove the protection from the game? I was able to find the method used to put it on, but I wasn't sure how to take it off.

There are many ways to deprotect Basic files:

Attached, are some commercial and PD software that will do the job for you.

Also,

THere are other great software can list protected Basic files. They do much more than that. I remember few:

MemoPad R10 by Eric
ATR Tools by AtariGeezer
If you would like to learn how deprotecting is being done, then Altirra emulator is to the HELP.
Just follow the following to reach to really nice tutorial of how to unprotect protected BASIC files (thank you phaeron )
- Start Altirra.
- Press on Help at the menu bar and choose "Contents", That will open "Altirra Help" window.
- Expand the "Debugger" folder (press on the small box with "+" symbol.
- Click on "Debugging BASIC programs". You will find very nicely written tutorial example on how to "Recovering a damaged or protected BASIC program."
Just follow instructions.
madi

BASIC File Listers.zip

Edited by Madi
  • Like 4

There are many ways to deprotect Basic files:

Attached, are some commercial and PD software that will do the job for you.

Thanks for the information, I will look into it. Just out of curiosity though, was there a way to break the protection in the days prior to emulators? I wanted so badly to see the listing of the Mar Tesoro program in my youth (I have it now, 20-30 years later) and am wondering what I might have been able to do back then.

Hi j70141

There were several commercial software in the back days that allow one to Unprotect Basic programs that were protected.

Gardner Computing used to advertize for 2 products:

1- The Book with Software. The book was only few pages explaining how protection is made and how to make bad sectors, etc. The software disk was consisted of several Basic and Assembly programs (utilities). One of them was UNPROTEC.BAS to list protected basic files. I used to have it but it was lost as of all my Atari stuff.

2- The Hacker’s Treasure chest disks. It similar to the first one, only with more utility files.

Attached is an Ad made by Gardner Computing in Analog Magazine issue #28 MAR 1984.

post-37046-0-67445700-1471390218_thumb.jpg

Also, attached a zip file contains 2 diskettes of the Pirate Treasures Chest. Instruction is available in Disk A.

Actually, I used to unprotect Basic files via OMNIMON XL which is a modified 800 Os with a built in Monitor. But before acquiring the OMNIMON, I used to modify the files directly on sector level using Diskey disk. It was not difficult to do it once you know the structure of tokenized Basic files.

madi

piratestreasurechest.zip

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 9/9/2003 at 4:19 AM, andylama said:

<SNIP>

As for a PC clone--I actually do plan to do this, whether or not I can actually call it "Mar Tesoro". It will be a LITTLE more sophisticated, but I still want it to retain the simple (you might even say "crude") feel of the original. One thing it MUST have is that distinctive 'prompt' sound it made.

For me, it's all about the nostalgia. :D

Thanks again,

Andy

Did you ever get the PC version going?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I check every so often to see if anyone has brought Mar Tesoro back to life. Spent many hours hunting for treasure back in the day. My friends and I loved playing this game and would love to play it again. Would love to see a version that I could run on the PC or as a phone app. too much to ask for I guess. 

Anyway glad to see the old game still has supporters.