IGNORED

Season 12 ~ Beat the Leader 2

Vocelli

On 4/15/2022 at 12:05 AM, AtariSphinx said:
On 4/14/2022 at 11:00 PM, jgkspsx said:

. Full disclosure: I have had this game since 1998 and never figured out how to get past the first fence before :D 

First time playing it tonight myself.   The two games I lost all my lives on that first fence.    Interesting jump mechanic.   Finally got passed it but need more practice.

I just tried the game a little for the first time tonight and had a similar experience with the first fence.  Then, the next 2-3 games were spent getting past the river on the second screen.  I expect I'll get used to it and improve with time, but I have to wonder how they came up with the idea of having to push up twice to get a higher jump, yet not use the joystick button for anything other than to start a new game. 

As goofy as the control scheme is, I give them credit for the graphics and the sounds.  The Smurf actually looks like a Smurf and the music is in tune.

• Like 5

The rocks in the Colecovision game really irritated me, so I’m happy to see that they’re not here...so far ?

Still on loop 4, but I broke 30k, and I’m pretty happy with that. I think that skill 4 starts you at that loop, so it’s a good place to get some practice. Just when I got a good strategy down for the hawk, the snake now becomes a problem?? Jeez. 

I’m finding that the challenge in this game comes from learning (read: dealing with) the controls. If it controlled more like Pitfall for example, it would be a much easier game. So while I’m enjoying playing it, that does say something about the overall quality. Maybe I should look at it as less of a platformer and more of a Smurf Simulator; you know, since they’re notorious for jumping straight up before taking a giant leap forward from a standing position. Happened all the time. 

Smurfing Adventures in Double Jumping - 30,900

E617C8AA-E5DF-4CB3-A18A-B422904FD548.thumb.jpeg.5855fb0c028d47e8e4581ddba7495968.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, fakecortex said:

Maybe I should look at it as less of a platformer and more of a Smurf Simulator; you know, since they’re notorious for jumping straight up before taking a giant leap forward from a standing position. Happened all the time. 

As the man said, “that’s one small step for a smurf, a giant leap for smurfkind”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, kermit73 said:

have to wonder how they came up with the idea of having to push up twice to get a higher jump, yet not use the joystick button for anything other than to start a new game.

Maybe if the button was blue they would have used it ?

I totally agree the controls are the challenge and goofy in this game.  I do like the floating/moving  cloud in the bird stage and the diagonal lines on the floor of the last stage.   Nice touches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Improvement, maybe I am starting to like this a little more ?.

There are some definite patterns once you exceed 35k, the snakes are my biggest problem, they are more erratic in their movements.

Smurfs : 74,900

74900.thumb.jpg.de98916d1cf30f857d897625bf7769b0.jpg

Edited by nads
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Atari_Warlord said:

I remember buying this game after the crash in a bargain bin.  I tried playing it and couldn't get past the first fence and just assumed it was broken and haven't played it again until now.  I probably should have read the instructions back then.

I didn’t get instructions with my copy but the scary thing is that your copy was sitting idle for 14 (?) years before I got mine in 1998, and both have been idle for 24 years since. Hold on, gotta send in my AARP dues…

• Like 3
  • Haha 3