IGNORED

[WIP] Hell Rider

Fort Apocalypse

It's difficult to describe this. I was playing around and significantly modifying some code from @Gemintronic he referenced in https://atariage.com/forums/topic/333999-multisprite-kernel-surplus-graphics-data-on-second-to-last-bank/?do=findComment&comment=5040060 which was demoing @Al_Nafuur's sprite-sharing code using the multisprite kernel, and I came up with this when I pulled out the asm patch from Nafuur and exploited the playfield tie-in to the player0 sprite... (Oh, don't get me started! I have no freaking clue what I'm up to here, but it was fun.) Anyway- I had to share this because now, at least in Stella, the caves are spookily waving when the player0 sprite gets close. What in the heck did I do here. It's weird. Well- it's not so much as a game as it is weird so far. I'm posting the asm, etc. also, just in case it helps.

When you start the game, it shows the title in the player0 sprite with data from the playfield. Then it starts moving the player0 sprite which I modified to have it exploit a bug that shows pixels continue from the last (top) line of the sprite, along with some playfield data that is semi-corrupted, but eventually clears and shows some text. Then after a few times of that, I show the playfield that's been hidden via color, which shows mirrored, as it does in multisprite, though it loses the top few rows of the H in the title defined in the right half of the defined playfield. Press reset then you are an angel (or something to be named). Move the joystick up to stabilize it. When the player0 sprite with the trailing bug lines comes through, it wickedly moves the player1 sprite as well as making the playfield wave by maybe a pixel. There is no goal here so far; it's just weird.

hell_rider_0.1.bas hell_rider_0.1.bas.sym hell_rider_0.1.bas.lst hell_rider_0.1.bas.bin hell_rider_0.1.bas.asm

Edited by Fort Apocalypse
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

When you get close to finding an effect you wanna use in a full game project remember to test it on a real 2600.  Some of the crazy ideas I've had only worked on Stella :)

I might need help. I have a Flashback 2, but I can't bear to mod it, and I'm low on funds. If I hit the lottery I'll buy a heavy-sixer and put it on my yacht!

But, Cosmic Ark didn't have a consistent starfield effect across different build versions of 2600s, so I'm mostly good with non-critical effects being possibly variable.

• Like 1

I've backed off of multisprite kernel and fun effects for now to get working on the gameplay and sprites. I'm considering for it to also be vertically scrolling, but, short-term, I'll just aim for something very similar to Atari Stunt Cycle with lava vs. buses, and adding a bat. At the moment, there's no jump, and no room to jump, but you get points staying away from the bat. Use fire button to speed up. Joystick left to slow down. Get a point if you pass all three levels, and only one life to live (queue theme...).

hell_rider_0.2-splash.jpg

hell_rider_0.2-gameplay.jpg

hell_rider_0.2.bas hell_rider_0.2.bas.bin

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 11:59 PM, Fort Apocalypse said:

I might need help. I have a Flashback 2, but I can't bear to mod it, and I'm low on funds. If I hit the lottery I'll buy a heavy-sixer and put it on my yacht!

But, Cosmic Ark didn't have a consistent starfield effect across different build versions of 2600s, so I'm mostly good with non-critical effects being possibly variable.

Tell you what. I operate this site: www.flashback2.com
If you send me your FB2, I will mod it for you and send it back.

IMG_2785.JPG

Edited by JimmyIpock
set notifications
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JimmyIpock said:

Tell you what. I operate this site: www.flashback2.com
If you send me your FB2, I will mod it for you and send it back.

IMG_2785.JPG

Your site is great. Crap. I didn't know Curt passed away. ?

That would be great if you could mod it, but that's a lot of labor and parts. I can't ask you to do that. I don't have the funds currently to justify even paying for shipping, and I abhor being a charity case.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Fort Apocalypse said:

That would be great if you could mod it, but that's a lot of labor and parts. I can't ask you to do that. I don't have the funds currently to justify even paying for shipping, and I abhor being a charity case.

Thanks.

Note: Here's a pic of my FB2- part of Curt's and Legacy Engineering's legacy. I also used to have two USB 2600 joysticks from Legacy Engineering, which I was very proud and honored to have, but I gave them away to someone that I hope will use them more. I hoping that grandkids will play the FB2 one day, but that's probably just me dreaming.

forts 2600.jpeg

7 hours ago, Fort Apocalypse said:

Thanks.

I've got piles of these parts laying around. It's not so much charity as just fun for me. It's not a money maker even though I've sold 100 of them perhaps. If you change your mind and find the money to ship (<$20) then just let me know. Email me at jipock@gmail.com

2 hours ago, Fort Apocalypse said:

Note: Here's a pic of my FB2- part of Curt's and Legacy Engineering's legacy. I also used to have two USB 2600 joysticks from Legacy Engineering, which I was very proud and honored to have, but I gave them away to someone that I hope will use them more. I hoping that grandkids will play the FB2 one day, but that's probably just me dreaming.

forts 2600.jpeg

That's a great looking FB2, very clean! If you would like it modded, let me know! Curt loved my mod kit. I happen to have the prototypes that Curt built for the Flashback 2 and the Flashback portable if anyone is interested in pics.