IGNORED

What should I expect to pay for this?

guitarmas

Get the PC Engine first and just burn a copy of the game. If you want the real thing you might want to wait until you find a good deal.

I've personally saved thousands of dollars on games just burning them. The CD games have no copy protection whatsoever. 

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

22 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Get the PC Engine first and just burn a copy of the game. If you want the real thing you might want to wait until you find a good deal.

I've personally saved thousands of dollars on games just burning them. The CD games have no copy protection whatsoever. 

Yeah. I'm sticking to the real deal.

1 minute ago, guitarmas said:

Yeah. I'm sticking to the real deal.

A lot of PC Engine games cost about the same OR MORE than the cost of the console. I'm just saying if I wanted to buy a real copy of the game I would burn a copy the play in the meantime until I can get the real version. 

2 hours ago, DNA128k said:

You're probably looking at $500-1000, assuming you get a recapped and functional DUO.

Wow. That's a lot. Lol.

Does the Duo-r have the same problems with the caps like the Turbo Duo does?

Edited by guitarmas
grammar correction

1 minute ago, guitarmas said:

Wow. That's a lot. Lol.

Does the Duo-r have the same problems with the caps like the Turbo Duo does?

I'm fairly certain all PCE CD-ROM² hardware has terrible capacitor issues, not to mention disk drive failure on top of that.  I sold all my PCE hardware a while back, it simply wasn't worth the cost or maintenance for me.  If you really want to play PCE on real hardware, I would buy a plain old PCE console and then pony up for a Super SD System 3 or whatever from TerraOnion.

• Thanks 1

We discussed this in your previous thread. At one point DUO-RX systems were seen as more reliable, but now we're getting close to 30 years out on these things. Everything in this ecosystem is prone to failure at this point, even if some model units were technically "more reliable" 15 years ago.

• Like 1

I'm just looking for something cool to collect for. I've started a small collection of Genesis stuff. I might just stick with that. I don't really play my Genesis but it gives me a growing hobby. Sorry to post same subjects over multiple threads. My mistake.

Edited by guitarmas
revised text.

If you're not hell bent on getting a DUO-RX, I do have a complete PC Engine CDROM system that might fit the bill.
I got it in 2015 from the now defunct Pcenginefx.org forums.

It was serviced and recapped by the infamous Keith Courage who is well known in the PCE community.

Could save you a few hundred $$$ over what a DUO-RX variant goes for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My DUO was serviced by Keith Courage too. He still runs a shop on Facebook with his services for anyone that needs their Turbo stuff fixed. Highly recommended.

@guitarmas - It's pretty simple. You either buy a unit that's already been serviced, or you buy one that hasn't and send it off to have all the usual things done to it to make sure it keeps ticking.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

If you're not hell bent on getting a DUO-RX, I do have a complete PC Engine CDROM system that might fit the bill.
I got it in 2015 from the now defunct Pcenginefx.org forums.

It was serviced and recapped by the infamous Keith Courage who is well known in the PCE community.

Could save you a few hundred $$$ over what a DUO-RX variant goes for.

For what it's worth, my briefcase setup I got from Keith in 2014 is still going strong.  I'd highly recommend seeing what he has for sale.

• Like 2

So last summer, I purchased a PC Engine Duo (not R or RX, but I think he gets those in sometimes, too) that was fully restored and modded, as in, all new capacitors, new laser for the CD assembly, RGB video mod (but can still use the original composite cable if desired), and region mod so it is compatible with both PCE and TG-16 Hu Cards, all for $390 including shipping. I thought that was fair price, all things considered, and while the deal was handled via Facebook, the seller/repair guy is an AA member, too, @oakcitycomics. I highly recommend dealing with him if you're still in the market for one!