IGNORED

I have recovered my old 800 and 65xe from my parent's attic

JJcoleski

all the boxed software is pretty impressive!  I don't think I ever saw the box for trailblazer.  Cool.

If you have a TV with composite inputs (RCA jacks) then the easiest way to get a good picture is to get an svideo to composite cable if you don't have one and connect it that way.  If you need to connect via HDMI you're going to need some kind of converter, like a retrotink2 (which works extremely well).

https://www.vintagecomputercenter.com/product/a-v-audio-video-tv-cable

https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/retrotink-2x-pro

38 minutes ago, invisible kid said:

Awesome! Very nice looking collection. Nothing like getting your original stuff. I had to buy mine back from my next door neighbor! lol

I gave all my stuff away to Curt Vendel in 2002, which I considered a safe bet at the time. In 2017 he confirmed this when he sent me pics of several of those systems sitting on his desk still in excellent condition. I never realized at the time I gave everything away, that I would once more get into this hobby in 2015. However it was no problem to reacquire equipment off the used market at the time, since the prices were extremely reasonable (Five 800XLs minus PSU for $110, a 600XL with the matching beige PSU still in the original Styrofoam clam shell packaging for $35).

• Like 2

If you want good quality on a larger HDTV, it would be best to get a converter that accepts S-Video, and then get a double shielded video adapter cable for the A8. Composite to HDMI converters are really not going to look much if any better than the built-in composite input that most HDTVs already come with.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 6:28 PM, JJcoleski said:

https://imgur.com/a/jnJskcQ

Not sure how to get this up and running on a modern TV. Any help would be appreciated. 

I've played with so many different strategies, but I want to just join in with what I'm sure many will say, which is  s-video is actually very good.

If your tv doesn't have s-video, then a retrotink 2x mini is an option to convert from s-video to hdmi.

Still rather than pay $90 for a retrotink, I'd usually just go with a used tv off e-bay with s-video, and I've had a lot of luck with LG, for example an LG 22lg31 has s-video, support 4:3 aspect ratio, is quite good at reducing noise.   not sure if that still fits within the definition of modern...I think it's already a 14 year old tv itself.   Anyway, since I have an 800XL, getting a tv that looks like a color match, is a bonus.

Following on from Meadow Glen's post I'd also recommend the LG Flatron M227WD which has S-video in as well as a host of other inputs, (composite included).

Definitely recommend getting a double shielded S-video cable from Hercules workshop in Canada: http://herculesworkshop.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=hercules-workshop&item=80304

With the 800 and S-video or composite you'll get a good stock video. With the 65XE you'll likely fine the stock video will be suffering from jailbars/zigzags and or checkboard interferance. (Stock XE video is generally not that great. Thanksfully there are lots of things you can do to improve stock video if you are handy with a soldering iron, including this mod: 

• Thanks 1