IGNORED

39 years later, longtime history mystery for the Atari 2600 found

Captain_Combat

I have had this for a couple years waiting to see if another one would be found and someone else would bring this public. It hasn't happened that I know of so far. Maybe shining the light on this might allow a couple more to be found but I'm not holding my breath.

Story:

This was found in " The Big Apple"  at the start of the pandemic right around the end of February 2020. The seller only exposed a tiny bit of writing on the bottom of the box. I thought it might be a bomb double pack so I made an offer and he accepted. I really didn't think the seller would be able to ship at that dangerous time but he did somehow. The package arrived from COVID ground zero and I let it sit for 7 days wondering what was inside before opening. A year later I was hospitalized with COVID about a week and a half before I was elegible to get vaccinated it was about 50/50 coin flip survival.

IMG_20220416_141724.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain_Combat said:

I have had this for a couple years waiting to see if another one would be found and someone else would bring this public. It hasn't happened that I know of so far. Maybe shining the light on this might allow a couple more to be found but I'm not holding my breath.

Story:

This was found in " The Big Apple"  at the start of the pandemic right around the end of February 2020. The seller only exposed a tiny bit of writing on the bottom of the box. I thought it might be a bomb double pack so I made an offer and he accepted. I really didn't think the seller would be able to ship at that dangerous time but he did somehow. The package arrived from COVID ground zero and I let it sit for 7 days wondering what was inside before opening. A year later I was hospitalized with COVID about a week and a half before I was elegible to get vaccinated it was about 50/50 coin flip survival.

IMG_20220416_141724.jpg

Truly amazing find.

A surprise indeed.

And it makes sense: if there's a DC II, there must be a DC I.

It looks in great condition as well.

Many thanks for sharing this, Captain Combat!

BTW: is it complete? Assault and Z-Tack included?

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

4 minutes ago, Rom Hunter said:

That makes more sense. I was thinking the holy grail was inside the slightly broken ark of the covenant, but of course the Rom Hunter would know better. ;)

24 minutes ago, Rom Hunter said:

Truly amazing find.

A surprise indeed.

And it makes sense: if there's a DC II, there must be a DC I.

It looks in great condition as well.

Many thanks for sharing this, Captain Combat!

BTW: is it complete? Assault and Z-Tack included?

8)

Well that was the big mystery was there ever a dc-1 or not since none have been found for 37 years

1 minute ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

So you accepted not just one bomb in the mail....but TWO bombs! Brave!

....Thank you, thank you, be sure to tip your waitstaff.

Very cool item though! It is indeed one of a kind right now!

To be honest I was scared crapless to open the package from the pandemic epicenter. We will see if more can be found.

6 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Haha, true, arguably it was a bomb of a different sort....stupid COVID. :(

If more come out of the woodwork I'd say there's probably no more than 10 (and probably even 5 is high as a guess) given the low production numbers of even their single titles.

I don't fully understand why this is the only one right now, I think 5 bomb dc-2s have been found. It came out in 1983 of the crash so very few of these were sold and hardly no boxed examples survived.

I'm not sure why a DC I has never been found before.

I wondered about the existence of DC I the first time I saw a DC II box, but then accepted it as never made or unknown.

AFAIK this one is the only one known to exist, unless a hard-core PAL collector like Marco knows of another.

Anyway, an excellent find, that's for sure.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

36 minutes ago, Rom Hunter said:

I'm not sure why a DC I has never been found before.

I wondered about the existence of DC I the first time I saw a DC II box, but then accepted it as never made or unknown.

AFAIK this one is the only one known to exist, unless a hard-core PAL collector like Marco knows of another.

Anyway, an excellent find, that's for sure.

8)

This one is ntsc has two stickers on the box N and a sticker on each cart N for ntsc. I wasn't sure if you wanted a comparison dump since its ntsc and from dc-1 double pack. I'll send you better pics tomorrow using my wife's iphone I'm using an android . If you want a dump ball blazer on atariage said he might be able to help. 

Anyway you want it archived let me know.

This is interesting news. Congratulations on the great find. It is really amazing that until today no box has been found.

I'm even more amazed that it's an NTSC version. What does that mean?

Does a DC-I also exist in PAL and also a DC-II in NTSC?

Thanks for showing this piece. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Schitti said:

I'm even more amazed that it's an NTSC version. What does that mean?

Does a DC-I also exist in PAL and also a DC-II in NTSC?

I was thinking the same thing.

Perhaps they were released in both formats, just like the single carts?

Would make sense.

The packaging doesn't differ, only the stickers mark their format.

8)