IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 16 - Game 13 - Vectron

( Intellivision HSC Season 16 )

[Game 13]

Vectron

Vectron.jpg.adbb755069994c07ec4cf1343d7c6261.jpg

Vectron by Mattel 1982
Hungrees, G-spheres, splits, sweeps and prizums - the nasties of the universe are back again, and they're nastier and tougher than ever! This time they're out to stop you from constructing the energy bases that build your score, level by level. The higher the level, the harder the nasties are to fend off. Can you rack up the highest score before the nasties destroy your energy blocks or you run out of energy? 

vectron.gif.b7816ed5bb3442ca826ddb39c45d5bf2.gif

ROM Download Link

https://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/21645/intellivision/Vectron-1982-Mattel.html

Game Manual Link - Click link below then go to 'Games' then 'Manuals' and scroll down for Vectron

http://www.intellivision.us/intvlibrary/index.htm

High Score Club Record

443,750 mr_me (SET NEW RECORD +3)

Game Setting

DEFAULT (PRESS DISC) - PLAY 1 PLAYER MODE OR 2 PLAYER MODE

Game Objective

Build as many energy bases as you can and score the most points in the process.

Game Scoring

+13 [1st place], +12 [2nd place], +11 [3rd place], +9 [4th place] down to +1 pt for participation. +2 Game Winner Incentive. 

Extra Score Bonus: Get a score of 20,000 pts or more and earn +1 bonus point; Get a score of 40,000 pts or more and earn +2 bonus points; Get a score of 60,000 pts or more and earn +3 bonus points; Get a score of 80,000 pts or more and earn +4 bonus points; Get a score of 100,000 pts or more and earn +5 bonus points. Max-out Extra Score Bonus points earned is +5.  

Season Theme: Maze Craze and Critters. This game falls into the 'Critters' category.

Contest Ends
SUNDAY MAY 1ST 11:59:59 PM EASTERN TIME

(FINAL SCORES)

85,700 - Rickster8 [+4 Bonus Points][+13][+2 GAME WINNER INCENTIVE]

64,870 - Wolfy62 [+3 Bonus Points][+12]

26,060 - jimblargh [+1 Bonus Point] [+11]

----------------------------------------------------------------

14,760 Lupovax [+9]

2,550 - Fakecortex [+8]

1,550 - CParsley [+7]

Overall Rankings (POINTS)

After Safecracker

201 - Rickster8

177 - CParsley

119 - Lupovax

112 - jimblargh

73 - Wolfy62

56 - Fakecortex

52 - Crade

51 - IntyFanMatt

46 - Gar0u

41 - Popsicle

30 - Player One

16 - Jblenkle

14 - Mr_Me

12 - Gavvv

10 - m-crew

Games Won

4 - Mark Griff - Tutankham / Mouse Trap / Venture / Sewer Sam

4 - Rickster8 - Night Stalker / TRON: Maze-A-Tron / Frog Bog / Safecracker

2 - CParsley - Super Cobra / Congo Bongo

1 - IntyFanMatt - Shark! Shark!

1 - Popsicle - Buzz Bombers

Sneak Preview:

Lock 'N' Chase

Edited by Rickster8
Added in scores

My First Crack at Vectron: This game had sooooo much potential. I love the concept, but the controls are TERRIBLE!!! I had this game as a kid, but I don't remember ever playing it. The only reason I know I had it is within the last year I got all my old carts from my parents house and it was there and I was like 'oh, okay, I had Vectron' lol.... ? Alot of people hate this game cuz the controls are soooo bad. I don't hate it, but I can see why people do. It's VERY hard to get a great score on. My all time 'PB' is 100k and even that was a HUGE effort for me. It seems the only way to get a great score is to use Free Style Mode which is very difficult cuz again the controls are sooooooo bad. I wanna take a deep dive into this game, but I fear that will be fruitless..... ?

VECTRON - DISC LEVEL - 45,980 POINTS!!!!

VECTRON(45980)HSC16.jpg.0851e50edc88dfff6c00df68e4ae0377.jpg

• Like 3

While I won't be able to participate due to emu not being able to do all 16 directions of the disc (AND VECTRON Demands that you can hit for instance SES)... a few hints for my childhood as I also had Vectron but LOVED it...

First, the BEB (Bonus Energy Blocks) become vital (every 4th space station completed)... Also while you speak of free move, there are some enemy types in which that will kill you virtually instantly, and also make it next to impossible to recognize what piece of the Space Station you are missing to move on. The lock mode will only let you move once the block your on is filled and will let you fling yourself in other direction UNTIL you come to another section that is incomplete, locking you back in. On some later 9+ boards, I find switching back and forth between the two methods to work quite nicely, as the enemies there will if they stay with your EB (Energy Block) for more than about 2 1/2 seconds vaporize it, even with a full power (Dark Orange) Energy pill in it. (Most early enemies you are rather safe from the enemies while you have that dark orange energy pulsating in your block, not so for light orange, grey or ewww brown (aka worthless) but dont let it take forever to fly out, smash it, let it get to the bottom so the next will occur.

The first 3 boards, the hey everyone's used this type of alien fighter archotype, is mostly just a pain in the neck, remaining RED if you don't take too long. That RED variant will only tear away on the space station and not hurt/kill you. Yellow on the other hand (and you will get a hint she's coming by the sphere (that u can not shoot) turning from Red to Yellow first, will vaporize your EB unless you have that before mentioned Dark Orange Energy inside. Then it's as harmless as the Red cousin.

Good luck :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, cparsley said:

While I won't be able to participate due to emu not being able to do all 16 directions of the disc (AND VECTRON Demands that you can hit for instance SES)... a few hints for my childhood as I also had Vectron but LOVED it...

First, the BEB (Bonus Energy Blocks) become vital (every 4th space station completed)... Also while you speak of free move, there are some enemy types in which that will kill you virtually instantly, and also make it next to impossible to recognize what piece of the Space Station you are missing to move on. The lock mode will only let you move once the block your on is filled and will let you fling yourself in other direction UNTIL you come to another section that is incomplete, locking you back in. On some later 9+ boards, I find switching back and forth between the two methods to work quite nicely, as the enemies there will if they stay with your EB (Energy Block) for more than about 2 1/2 seconds vaporize it, even with a full power (Dark Orange) Energy pill in it. (Most early enemies you are rather safe from the enemies while you have that dark orange energy pulsating in your block, not so for light orange, grey or ewww brown (aka worthless) but dont let it take forever to fly out, smash it, let it get to the bottom so the next will occur.

The first 3 boards, the hey everyone's used this type of alien fighter archotype, is mostly just a pain in the neck, remaining RED if you don't take too long. That RED variant will only tear away on the space station and not hurt/kill you. Yellow on the other hand (and you will get a hint she's coming by the sphere (that u can not shoot) turning from Red to Yellow first, will vaporize your EB unless you have that before mentioned Dark Orange Energy inside. Then it's as harmless as the Red cousin.

Good luck :)

Thanks, Lol you will laugh at this one. The 'world record' at Twin Galaxies is 122k!!! LOL not kidding. I bet you could quadruple that? I know mr_me can...... ?

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

I only use freestyle against the diamondbacks.  Otherwise I stick with normal control.

But I think freestyle is the only way to get the E pack when it comes out, unless you are right there. I'm thinking go freestyle get the E pack and jump back to normal control right away. Thoughts?

Edited by Rickster8
Wording

4 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The E-Paks are important but I can usually get them with normal control.  I can't be bothered to switch to freestyle and back.  The only time I switch back is after I've killed all the Diamondbacks.

So eventually the diamondbacks stop coming? What I mean is level 7 the diamondbacks come and you are saying there comes a point in level 7 that they will actually stop coming out? How many do you have to kill before they stop coming out? 

My Vectron Update: This game is just downright impossible for me, UGH!!!! The yellow spiders in Level 4 kill me every time. I can be cruising along and then I get to Level 4 AND IT'S GAME OVER!!!!! ??

VECTRON - DISC LEVEL - 50,410 POINTS!!!!

VECTRON(50410)HSC16.jpg.62c5c3e82206f6d8bb8eacab6433fb83.jpg

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Like 2

@Rickster8

The yellow spiders as you refer to follow the normal red/yellow color scheme.. Red you can survive but yellow haha one touch you are toasted!!! :)

One question, what do you think about the 2nd player advantage play? (It's a little of a misnomer, but for some could be a live saver)

1 minute ago, cparsley said:

@Rickster8

The yellow spiders as you refer to follow the normal red/yellow color scheme.. Red you can survive but yellow haha one touch you are toasted!!! :)

One question, what do you think about the 2nd player advantage play? (It's a little of a misnomer, but for some could be a live saver)

Not sure what you mean by this. ?‍♂️

Sorry I'm a bit thick in the head sometimes..... :P 

Ah sorry I didn't elaborate...

Normal Vectron play (single player) keeps everything moving and therefore if an enemy is right where your EB forms, you can lose another life right from the off.

Playing Vectron 2 player forces the game to flip back and forth and the way it does that is while keeping the timers as they were (aka how long you've had the red bats before they'll be on yellow for rest of the set) but everything else resets to start point one. (aka you start without any enemies on screen at each new life) For some this may be the saving grace they need.

However there is a downside to this as well. You have to start your energy collecting from scratch as well, as single player mode keeps everything going so u could shoot and have a energy pile just ready to hit your EB when it forms up, and especially if it's the nice lovely Dark Orange can be a big help.

So it's not a absolute perfect save, but it does amount to a different Vectron experience.

12 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I thought you liked it?!!

Hell no. This game like Safecracker was a great conceptual idea, but they both fell WAY short in the production phase.... It's like the old lady saying Where's the Beef? :P

Edited by Rickster8
  • Haha 1

I am pretty happy with this score,I actually got in a great video game zone for a couple minutes.  64,870.

I pur this game back in,because I was attempting Lock n Chase and I'm not terrible at Lock n Chase,I just completely dislike it.?

20220424_173952.jpg

Edited by wolfy62
Added content
  • Like 2

Overall Rankings (POINTS)

After Safecracker

201 - Rickster8

177 - CParsley

119 - Lupovax

112 - jimblargh

73 - Wolfy62

56 - Fakecortex