IGNORED

Bloody Planet, Alien Breed inspired game

Philsan

Read the info on AtariOnLine. ? The mention of weapon upgrades and the like looks very promising. Also 128K will do such a game justice. Hopefully we'll see some digitised gunfire. ?(Alien breed's gunfire sfx was fantastic after all!)

Sound FX IMHO are so integral to the gameplay experience and often overlooked. The Pokey chip and showcased abilities of the A8 to put out some impressive sounds in games is something I'd love to see used more. (Look at Prince of Persia's sound FX). 

Would be great to have a demo of a single level sometime in 2022. Great to hear Shanti of the amazing The Last Squadron and Gacek fame is co working on this, coding from the ground up!!!

Wonder if sprite multiplexing will feature? Would be amazing to see as many colours as is possible on a four way scrolling game field. At present the write up eludes to 5 colour gr 15 backgrounds plus extras for player and aliens and does already look good. 

Full Snack controller support would also be something that would be a bonus. 

So another old fav game inspiring this game is coming to the A8. Can't wait!!

I wonder if a Cannon Fodder game with full mouse support will ever be possible on the A8?

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 4

Hey beeble,

Anything else you want, real time 3D rendered intro, haptic feedback, HAM game over screen :)

Only joking, but a Cannon Fodder game would be nice, one of my favourite games ever...Owned it and had the little bullet point of sale keyring..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

looking at the previous works of these authors you can expect a game that will not only look good but also be fun to play, I hope that the story will be polished.

After the beating they took in AlienBreed they were able to revive themselves... Aliens are very prolific, consuming resources and standing in opposition to our civilization... it's time to bring them the Green Deal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Mclaneinchaptic feedback... Now ya talking!!! Oooo and I wanna smell the atmospheric odours of an alien ship too!!!! ?

Seriously though given the high production values of Shanti's previous games, the 128k target and what these lil A8 are capable of in the right hands, I am looking forward to where this goes. You only have to look at what Globe is producing with the 128k 3D Ray casting engine, and of course PoP, plus up and coming games like ADM to see the scope for games. IMHO you may as well think big and reach for the stars/push the machines. ?

Yup, cannon fodder and its gameplay mechanics is a classic and a genre missing on the A8 AFAIK. Would certainly be a challenge. 

Although I joke about what the 8bit can do, I can only but marvel at what our devs are producing. I always say that Space Harrier on an atari ? You must be joking. Who's laughing now :)

It's like what I see from folks like Sarah Jane Avery on the C64, real classy shooters.

So yeah, a huge hand for our devs for whatever machine floats your boat, but it's always special to see the old 8 bits break the supposed barriers of its abilities. As for Cannon Fodder, I reckon it's possible in a form, there's not an amazing amount going on, who knows...

• Like 4

C'mon, it's a bit of fun, what we are seeing and hearing is such an early version that any part of it could be a placeholder for other later stuff... Just relax, it's early days, but it's looking very nice already.. Gun fire sfx is ok, yes the pokey can do better, but without knowing what they have planned it's hard to guess what resources they will have.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, atari-passion said:

would a cartridge version allow only 64k of memory to be used?

Can't see why not, it's not as if they will copy the cart content in full to ram (defeats the notion of a cart) but it does depend on what gets sent to machine memory.