IGNORED

2022 HSC Rd. 8 - Time to fly!

toiletunes

Round 8 is all about flying!

We start with Dragon's Descent. Settings: Difficulty switches b/b, Game setting: Infinite maze

Bonus game: Ace of Aces. Game setting: select Practice, then select Dog Fight.

Round 8 ends May 7, midnight est.

Scores for the season:

79 oyamafamily

77 Silver Back

64 toiletunes

62 Dr Moocowz

56 Deteacher

53 jeremiahjt

52 NIKON

46 jimblargh

46 jgkspsx

40 BydoEmpire

28 roadrunner

25 mark griff

24 Rick Dangerous

18 Cafeman

18 Propane13

13 Lauren Tyler

06 jblenkle

Scores for this round:

Dragon's Descent

5,834 Dr Moocowz

1,602 NIKON

Ace of Aces

9500 jeremiahjt

7500 Dr Moocowz

Edited by toiletunes
  • Like 2

I do not quite have the hang of Ace of Aces yet, but I did manage to score 9,500 points in the dog fight by taking out a bunch of fighters.  I ran out of my cannon and had to take some out with my rockets.  By this point my plane was badly damaged, including my compass, and I had no hope of making it to my destination.

1 hour ago, NIKON said:

is there a manual available... I have never played this game.. "need input"

The forum thread for "Dragon's Descent" has instructions (and a ROM that should be good for this HSC) in the opening post:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/291525-dragons-descent-actionroguelike-for-the-7800-ported-from-the-2600/

I'm the designer of the game, so let me know if you have questions!

I'll put the instructions here as well- 

CONTROLS

Joystick - Move the dragon around the labyrinth.  The dragon is flies through the maze, and has momentum - keep that in mind!

Button - The dragon will breathe fire in the direction it is facing, left or right.

SETTINGS

You can change the settings by choosing the options on the title screen.  If the text is gold, the setting is "on."  If the text is blue, the setting is "off."

Infinite Maze Mode: Game will continue indefinitely, only ending with a game over.  If turned off, the game will end after you complete level 7

Random Maze Mode:  You will start in a randomized maze.  If turned off, the maze will be the same layout each playthrough.

Music: This option on the title screen toggles music on/off

Hard Mode:   If turned on, walls will harm you if touched.  If turned off, the walls are harmless.  "Hard Mode" is the same mode as the 2600 version of the game.

Maze Select: Allow you to set the random "seed" when starting the maze. Move the joystick left/right to select the left or right seed, each can be set to a value between 1 and 255. The levels are procedurally generated, but are always the same progression, and the layout can be mapped.

HOW TO PLAY

Depending on your game settings, you may find an end to the maze on the 7th level, or the maze can continue until you are defeated, trying to attain the highest score!

Each level of the maze is made up of several rooms - you can leave through any exit on the boundaries of the screen you find.

To make progress in the maze, find the key on each level, and then the level's exit. The exit, resembling a door with a key imprint, will only activate if you touch it while you have the key found on the same level. Upon each new level you will face more dangers but also potentially increased power and scoring!

Avoid touching walls and enemies - doing so will deplete your hit points, and eventually end your game!

Scoring comes from collecting gems and defeating monsters. You get more points for defeating monsters in deeper levels, and a slightly higher score for each shot you use with stronger fire breath.

In addition to a key and exit, each level of the labyrinth has a treasure room. Treasure rooms allow you to pick one of three power ups, just wait until you see the one you want:

Gem - increases your score.

Heart - increases your total hit points, while completely replenishing your health.

Lamp - increases the strength of your fire breath, while refilling its supply.

Don't stay too long on a single level, or you may find things getting much more difficult! The deeper you explore, the more monsters, dangers, and higher scores you find...

You hit points are shown next to the heart icon at the bottom of the screen. Your game will end when if the hit points reach zero.

The strength of your fire breath is indicated by the color and size of the flame. If you collect a flashing lamp from the treasure room, it will increase in power but you will only have a limited amount, shown at the bottom of the screen next to the flame icon. If this supply ever runs out, you will go back your initial, weakened fire breath.

You can find non-flashing hearts and lamps from fallen enemies, which will replenish a small part of your hit points or fire breath, respectively.

If you survive long enough, you may reach a maximum amount of hit points or firepower, in which case your health or score will be flashing.

Edited by Revontuli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, Revontuli said:

The forum thread for "Dragon's Descent" has instructions (and a ROM that should be good for this HSC) in the opening post:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/291525-dragons-descent-actionroguelike-for-the-7800-ported-from-the-2600/

I'm the designer of the game, so let me know if you have questions!

I'll put the instructions here as well- 

CONTROLS

Joystick - Move the dragon around the labyrinth.  The dragon is flies through the maze, and has momentum - keep that in mind!

Button - The dragon will breathe fire in the direction it is facing, left or right.

SETTINGS

You can change the settings by choosing the options on the title screen.  If the text is gold, the setting is "on."  If the text is blue, the setting is "off."

Infinite Maze Mode: Game will continue indefinitely, only ending with a game over.  If turned off, the game will end after you complete level 7

Random Maze Mode:  You will start in a randomized maze.  If turned off, the maze will be the same layout each playthrough.

Music: This option on the title screen toggles music on/off

Hard Mode:   If turned on, walls will harm you if touched.  If turned off, the walls are harmless.  "Hard Mode" is the same mode as the 2600 version of the game.

Maze Select: Allow you to set the random "seed" when starting the maze. Move the joystick left/right to select the left or right seed, each can be set to a value between 1 and 255. The levels are procedurally generated, but are always the same progression, and the layout can be mapped.

HOW TO PLAY

Depending on your game settings, you may find an end to the maze on the 7th level, or the maze can continue until you are defeated, trying to attain the highest score!

Each level of the maze is made up of several rooms - you can leave through any exit on the boundaries of the screen you find.

To make progress in the maze, find the key on each level, and then the level's exit. The exit, resembling a door with a key imprint, will only activate if you touch it while you have the key found on the same level. Upon each new level you will face more dangers but also potentially increased power and scoring!

Avoid touching walls and enemies - doing so will deplete your hit points, and eventually end your game!

Scoring comes from collecting gems and defeating monsters. You get more points for defeating monsters in deeper levels, and a slightly higher score for each shot you use with stronger fire breath.

In addition to a key and exit, each level of the labyrinth has a treasure room. Treasure rooms allow you to pick one of three power ups, just wait until you see the one you want:

Gem - increases your score.

Heart - increases your total hit points, while completely replenishing your health.

Lamp - increases the strength of your fire breath, while refilling its supply.

Don't stay too long on a single level, or you may find things getting much more difficult! The deeper you explore, the more monsters, dangers, and higher scores you find...

You hit points are shown next to the heart icon at the bottom of the screen. Your game will end when if the hit points reach zero.

The strength of your fire breath is indicated by the color and size of the flame. If you collect a flashing lamp from the treasure room, it will increase in power but you will only have a limited amount, shown at the bottom of the screen next to the flame icon. If this supply ever runs out, you will go back your initial, weakened fire breath.

You can find non-flashing hearts and lamps from fallen enemies, which will replenish a small part of your hit points or fire breath, respectively.

If you survive long enough, you may reach a maximum amount of hit points or firepower, in which case your health or score will be flashing.

THANK YOU!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...