IGNORED

Atari 2600 - Imagic and Activision games sold in blister packs in the mid-nineties

Lost Monkey

The Intellivision bagged games thread jogged this memory...

Circa 1994/1995, K-Mart, in Canada, was selling Activision releases (which included Imagic titles) in blister packs. I don't have any photos, but I did purchase Cosmic Commuter at the time.  All that was included was the cartridge and a low quality manual.  They were new.  I recall there being several titles I already owned, but distinctly remember Demon Attack and Commando.

Anyone else remember these?  I did a search of the forum, but didn't come up with anything.

Edited by Lost Monkey
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Lost Monkey said:

Circa 1994/1995, K-Mart, in Canada, was selling Activision releases (which included Imagic titles) in blister packs. I don't have any photos, but I did purchase Cosmic Commuter at the time.  All that was included was the cartridge and a low quality manual.  They were new.  I recall there being several titles I already owned, but distinctly remember Demon Attack and Commando.

Anyone else remember these?  I did a search of the forum, but didn't come up with anything.

Interesting.

Never seen them sold like that.

8)

• Thanks 1

HES over here in Australia sold Activision and Imagic games back in the day like that although they are not common. I do remember seeing them at Kmart with the Instructions on the back cardboard. (Pics from Atari Boxed)

IMG_5337.jpg

IMG_5338.jpg

Edited by Jason_Atari
Crediting Atari Boxed for the pictures
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 1:39 PM, Lost Monkey said:

I have some. Never been opened. Maybe take some pics tonight.

Of the top of my head I believe I have Fire Fighter and Riddle of the Sphinx for sure.

I think they also sold Imagic titles for the Colecovision this way. I could be wrong. I'll check.

It's been years since I looked at that stuff. ?

• Like 1

I remember seeing NES, Genesis, and possibly also SNES games being sold like this, but nothing for the Atari 2600. I am fairly certain that these were used titles, but they were sold through major retailers like Sears. They were available for a few years in the mid-1990s.

By this point in time, 2600 titles were completely gone from the retail landscape; even the dusty old remaindered stock of a few years prior had been dumped. They were even getting slightly less common at yard sales and thrift shops. 

That said, I did not shop at K-Mart as there were no stores remotely close to where I lived at the time, so that establishment may still have had some 2600 stock.  

Ok, just sifted through my chit..

As mentioned. Here is pics of the blister packs I have for the 2600. I thought I had some for the colecovision as well. But can't locate those..  or maybe I traded or opened them years ago.

20220513_082908.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1