IGNORED

atari800 emulator

I tried running the atari800 emulator in Linux (Debian) for the first time in a few years.

Previously I've had no trouble.

I hit a snag that I've never encountered before and wondered if anyone has suggestions.

When I tried running a rom and then an atr file, the message "cannot run, you need a real atari os" appeared.

So I looked into the settings and it appears the os roms are missing in this version of atari800.

Where do I get os roms? I looked in Atarimania but I can only find DOS files. Where do I find the os roms?

I think my older version of atari800 must have had the os roms included.

Thanks for any help!

The most recent releases of atari800 have the Altirra OS built-in, so even without original OS ROMs, lot of software works out of the box. 

On the other hand, obtaining original OS ROMs is still the very much preferred option. Since the original OS ROMs are still copyrighted, they cannot be shipped with atari800.

If the emulator worked before, you most likely have the OS ROMs, just need to configure atari800 to find them. If you didn't use the emulator for years, it is possible that the format of the configuration file has changed dramatically and you need to configure the emulator from scratch.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zzip said:

I think this emulator always needed the roms, so you probably have them somewhere but maybe lost your original cfg file?

6 hours ago, ivop said:

From the command line, try this:

cd ~

find . -iname '*.rom'

6 hours ago, baktra said:

The most recent releases of atari800 have the Altirra OS built-in, so even without original OS ROMs, lot of software works out of the box. 

On the other hand, obtaining original OS ROMs is still the very much preferred option. Since the original OS ROMs are still copyrighted, they cannot be shipped with atari800.

If the emulator worked before, you most likely have the OS ROMs, just need to configure atari800 to find them. If you didn't use the emulator for years, it is possible that the format of the configuration file has changed dramatically and you need to configure the emulator from scratch.

I used the emulator years ago, on a different computer with a different version of Debian, so any configured files and roms from before are long gone. I also used altirra at one point, so I might be confusing altirra and atari800. In any event, thank you for the advice and suggestions! I think the next step now is to get the roms and configure my current atari800 emulator and then get playing. I prefer to use my real Atari 800 with disks and cartridges but, with a limited supply of games and money, I sometimes need to play in emulation. Thanks for the tips and info!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 11:32 PM, MrFSL said:

So this site and tool exists:

http://www.wudsn.com/productions/atari800/atariromchecker/help/AtariROMChecker.html

And if you scroll down there are useful links --- one of them leads here:

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/nir_dary_cds/ROMS/ROMS_OS/

Thanks!