IGNORED

What's the most under-rated retail game on the Atari Jaguar?

Jag64

11 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

I can't be alone in that I would play Theme Park quite a bit if only the SAVE feature was better integrated.

Absolutely, I think it’s a great game but the only way I can make any progress is by leaving my jag on for multiple days, and that is not something I like to do.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Just corius could y plix tel me whitch 2 games U got first??

Currently I only own Wolfenstein 3D and Syndicate.

Waiting for a copy of Cannon Fodder and Kings of Edom to arrive. The Jaguar library has a lot of excellent titles I'm looking forward to to collect! My only gripe is that they can get expensive..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

My only gripe is that they can get expensive

They aren't cheap either way, but don't rush it. I made a list of games I wanted (though just to play, not collect, so I have mostly loose carts) when I got into the Jag, and I just wait until a deal shows up. Still waiting to get a copy of Doom some day, and certain titles I had to settle for making myself a reproduction, but I got most of them. It's also easier if you're OK with blemished labels and whatnot too. Awesome titles like Iron Soldier end up being some of the cheapest, I assume because more people had them or more were manufactured.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wilco said:

Absolutely, I think it’s a great game but the only way I can make any progress is by leaving my jag on for multiple days, and that is not something I like to do.

Some people are able to throw parks together real fast. Entire park saves would be preferable but for some it doesn't seem to be a dealbreaker.

http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3804

• Like 2

I'll throw in Theme Park too, and add a vote to Val d'Isere. VDI could have used some better music but I sunk plenty of time into that one...at least until I came to one of the later slopes that I could just never reach the final goal in time.  

Maybe also Primal Rage. Whenever fighters seem to get attention it's always about crappy Kasumi Ninja or solid Ultra Vortek. But PR was a pretty good port. Once you get past the stupid loading times, its fun with a Pro controller. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I'll throw in Theme Park too, and add a vote to Val d'Isere. VDI could have used some better music but I sunk plenty of time into that one...at least until I came to one of the later slopes that I could just never reach the final goal in time.  

Maybe also Primal Rage. Whenever fighters seem to get attention it's always about crappy Kasumi Ninja or solid Ultra Vortek. But PR was a pretty good port. Once you get past the stupid loading times, its fun with a Pro controller. 

Val D’Isere was great. I also wanna throw in Attack of the Mutant Penguins and Towers 2. Great games.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

Val D’Isere was great. I also wanna throw in Attack of the Mutant Penguins and Towers 2. Great games.

Agreed, although I probably spent more time on T2. Just sucks that the 11th level is pretty much all closed off - I wonder how many in the community have finished the game?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Agreed, although I probably spent more time on T2. Just sucks that the 11th level is pretty much all closed off - I wonder how many in the community have finished the game?

When I first got Towers 2: Plight of the Stargazer in 1997 or so, I made it to the end boss, but could not beat him.  I have since gone back and finished it more than once.  I do not know if I would count Towers 2 as a retail game though.

• Like 2

IIRC, I bought my copy from a local retailer who had a die-hard Jag fan on the staff and got all of the Telegames releases into their store. I definitely remember buying IS2 from there and opening it up in front of the guy to see if I had the rare yellow label copy. That's where I bought my Jag base console and most of my carts in '97-'99, so while it wasn't widespread, it was at least retail in my neck of the woods :P (Because of that, the EB Games shop in the same mall had a small Jag section around the same time. I bought my JagCD from them).

• Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 1:51 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

Club Drive is lots of fun for such a broken game. 

In my mind, Club Drive was great (even though it wasn't). There's potential there, it just seems unfinished. 

I like this similar game on Nintendo Switch, it's also a bit like the Stunt Mode from San Francisco Rush 2049. It's on sale for EIGHTEEN CENTS
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/rekt-high-octane-stunts-switch/

• Like 5

On 4/23/2022 at 5:36 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

IIRC, I bought my copy from a local retailer who had a die-hard Jag fan on the staff and got all of the Telegames releases into their store. I definitely remember buying IS2 from there and opening it up in front of the guy to see if I had the rare yellow label copy. That's where I bought my Jag base console and most of my carts in '97-'99, so while it wasn't widespread, it was at least retail in my neck of the woods :P (Because of that, the EB Games shop in the same mall had a small Jag section around the same time. I bought my JagCD from them).

That sounds familiar. It wasn't in Salt Lake City was it?

2 hours ago, alucardX said:

That sounds familiar. It wasn't in Salt Lake City was it?

Yep, it was at the good ol' Game Pedler. They're no longer in that mall though, but they are now on State Street in SLC. 

But like I mentioned, the EB Games/GameStop back in 1997/98 also carried Jag games, just in a tiny little section way in the back. I wonder how many others did after '96 or so (if just to unload unsold inventory)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Yep, it was at the good ol' Game Pedler. They're no longer in that mall though, but they are now on State Street in SLC. 

But like I mentioned, the EB Games/GameStop back in 1997/98 also carried Jag games, just in a tiny little section way in the back. I wonder how many others did after '96 or so (if just to unload unsold inventory)

I bought my Jag at Game Pedler because of John Darr. He had such passion for that machine. He used to bring his "64-bit bag" in on the weekends and hook up his Jag to demo games in the store. I loved going  there when he was working.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

That's the guy! He was quite a character; I wonder where he's at these days.  He did have some really wild claims about the Jag's power, but like you said, he was a true Jag salesman.  

I have wondered for years where he ended up. I remember my parents buying a DirecTV system through him. He was a door to door salesman for it for a while. That's actually how I first met him.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 12:18 PM, cubanismo said:

They aren't cheap either way, but don't rush it. I made a list of games I wanted (though just to play, not collect, so I have mostly loose carts) when I got into the Jag, and I just wait until a deal shows up. Still waiting to get a copy of Doom some day, and certain titles I had to settle for making myself a reproduction, but I got most of them. It's also easier if you're OK with blemished labels and whatnot too. Awesome titles like Iron Soldier end up being some of the cheapest, I assume because more people had them or more were manufactured.

Atari Jaguar Game Lot - Cybermorph, Kasumi Ninja, Checkered Flag, Troy Aikman, that lot went for 50bucks on ebay recently, came with manuals too.

Just search lots, loose is way to go, you can get boxes off etsy. Same with inserts, manuals are tougher. 

Theme park, is the game gives me most enjoyment.  Agree save feature is awful.

A vote for ZOOP, it  is addictive.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 1:47 PM, Flojomojo said:

In my mind, Club Drive was great (even though it wasn't). There's potential there, it just seems unfinished. 

It was fun driving around the house, trying to find the orange cat.  Also, sitting still and watching Pong on the TV was probably the best part of the game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 10:40 AM, Leonard Smith said:

I really liked Val D'Isere Skiing and Snowboarding

Fun and zippy

On 4/19/2022 at 10:44 AM, Cobra Kai said:

Defender 2000.

Love classic mode.

On 4/19/2022 at 10:44 AM, Editorb said:

I-War is a borderline masterpiece, exciting yet relaxing and a great way to wile away the hours.

TRON on the Jaguar.   Good times.

On 4/19/2022 at 12:22 PM, cubanismo said:

Supercross 3D *ducks*

I remember enjoying flying off large dirt mountains.

On 4/19/2022 at 12:51 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

Soccer Kid would be my pick: it's a really nice platformer that few seem to like.

A lot of good tricks with that Soccer Ball.   I like the few platformers on the Jag.

On 4/19/2022 at 3:27 PM, Rick Dangerous said:

Troy Aikman Football is a perfectly serviceably football game that gets no love/attention whatsoever.  I've had loads of fun with it. 

Never tried it.   Actually bought it a retro store a few years ago when sports games were on sale.   Found the cart again today.

On 4/19/2022 at 3:38 PM, Wilco said:

Atari Karts is great if you own a pro controller

What does the pro controller add?

On 4/19/2022 at 4:20 PM, CD-i said:

Ther can only be one: the glorious Pinball Fantasies. Such a great pinball game with great table design and ball physics for the time. The soundtrack is really awesome and the jaguar version possibly the best version of the game.

Have to fire that up on the Game Drive.

On 4/19/2022 at 6:59 PM, PFG 9000 said:

Syndicate!  I find it highly playable and fun, building up your team from nothing into a global megapower.  It's a PC port on console that plays much better than others due to the Jaguar's unique keypad.  And there's some good variety across the 50 missions.

I'm one of the very few who actually likes the game, apparently.  It does have a steep learning curve, as those controls take some practice.

I might give that another go.   Looking back, I wonder how similar Cannon Fodder and Syndicate are in game play.   Hmm...

On 4/19/2022 at 7:03 PM, PFG 9000 said:

Oh man...Baldies is great.  It has a quirky sense of humor that might not appeal to everyone.  But there's some good fun to be had there (and it usually has to do with stink bombs, landshark plagues, or helicopters).

What little bit I've played of Baldies, it was quirky fun.

On 4/20/2022 at 3:09 AM, PeterG said:

I vote Atack of the mutant penguins. It is weird, not very easy to get into and lacks in several departments (it's short, it has no whacky music to acompany the madness) but I had a lot of fun with it and I kind of like the idea that the devs tried something different for a change. Also it has those minigames between levels which is also neat.

Played that game all the way through.   Sometimes very challenging holding off the penguins till you can assemble the bat.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:59 PM, ColecoGamer said:

I would say Primal Rage.

Which reminds to ask - was Primal Rage ever released on cartridge or was it strictly a Jag CD release?

I will have to try that again, if another else, to experience none of the slow load times by using the Game Drive.

On 4/21/2022 at 1:08 AM, Wilco said:

Only on CD sadly, but the game does seem to run pretty well on the GD. 

Good to hear.   Now to find me some Primal Rage!

On 4/22/2022 at 4:26 AM, Ninjabba said:

The Jaguar library has a lot of excellent titles

Jaguar gamer since 1999, I think that is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that.

Through with all that is available now for the Jag, that might actually be true.  :D

On 4/22/2022 at 11:40 AM, JagChris said:

Some people are able to throw parks together real fast. Entire park saves would be preferable but for some it doesn't seem to be a dealbreaker.

http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3804

You know... has anyone tried to swap .e2p files from the Game Drive for Theme Park?   I know the leader boards can be saved and swapped and saved for others.   Would be interesting to see if parks can be saved and swapped.

On 4/24/2022 at 11:20 AM, tripled79 said:

Kasumi Ninja!!!

A lot of fun with friends and that fireball from under the kilt move!

On 4/25/2022 at 10:15 AM, Pete5125 said:

A vote for ZOOP, it  is addictive.

Haven't quite gotten the hang of that one.  Need to play that more.

----------------

So naturally I'm going to say Bubsy: In Fractured Furry Tales.   So colorful with large characters and cool music.   As mentioned with Syndicate, a lot of fun once you get past the steep learning curve with the controls.   As mentioned with i-War a fun game to pass 35 minutes of time with for a full game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, doctorclu said:

Jaguar gamer since 1999, I think that is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that.

Through with all that is available now for the Jag, that might actually be true.  :D

I did think of some aftermarket titles when I made that statement :D anybody wants to depart from their copy of Another World? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, doctorclu said:

What does the pro controller add?

It allows you to make much sharper turns by pressing the L and R buttons, I find the game nearly unplayable with the regular controller, but it’s one of my favorite games when I play with a pro controller. 

41 minutes ago, Wilco said:

It allows you to make much sharper turns by pressing the L and R buttons, I find the game nearly unplayable with the regular controller, but it’s one of my favorite games when I play with a pro controller. 

Best pitch for the pro-controller yet.   Have to see if that new run of pro-controllers is still going on.  :D

[Goes to Atariage Store, sees it is still there, tries to log in to buy a pro-controller.

Password no good.

Goes to reset password.

Password takes!

Goes to login in...

password no good.

Rinse repeat, same effect.]

Oh well, I'll take your word for it.  :P

Hmmm... might give Songbird a try on the Pro-Controller for $10 more.

3 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

I did think of some aftermarket titles when I made that statement :D anybody wants to depart from their copy of Another World? 

I've seen mention of a another print of this floating around.   If so, a good time to buy.

• Like 1