IGNORED

What's the most under-rated retail game on the Atari Jaguar?

Jag64

The Jaguar may not have had a huge library of games during its 1993 to 1996 run, and the games that were released often leave fans split in their opinions.

Every Jaguar owner has a favorite game, even if others might night see the title as a "gem." What is, in your opinion, the most under-rated game on the Jaguar?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

Defender 2000. 

Has more haters than not. I think it's a masterfully programmed game, and the ridicule, some of it fair, is way overblown and has a rep for being a piece of crap game, which is wrong.

Defender 2000 is a lot of fun. This is a game that I plugged in for the first time and played for three hours without looking at the clock. I know there are complaints but I think Minter did great work on this one.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, alucardX said:

I need to put some more time into I-War. I like the premise and the art style.

The music may be my favorite Jag soundtrack.

My first few times through the game, I drove around being mesmerized by color shading and shadows. They're so elegant and vibrant and make me wanna hug my CRT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Club Drive is lots of fun for such a broken game. If we're talking about post-Atari retail, Soccer Kid would be my pick: it's a really nice platformer that few seem to like. And if it's homebrews, Painter is criminally underrated/played. It's a lovely game that, in my imagination at least, is what Pepper III would have been like. 

1 hour ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Painter is criminally underrated/played. It's a lovely game that, in my imagination at least, is what Pepper III would have been like.

Cool game, also reminds me about Qix. Although shouldn't it be possible to eliminate the bad guy by encircling him?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CD-i said:

Ther can only be one: the glorious Pinball Fantasies. Such a great pinball game with great table design and ball physics for the time. The soundtrack is really awesome and the jaguar version possibly the best version of the game.

I keep forgetting that Pinball Fantasies offers four tables, as the only one that I liked (and played) was "Billion Dollar Game Show". I actually spent much more time with Ruiner Pinball just for the "Ruiner" table, which is fantastic. That "Tower" table has just about the ugliest colour scheme of any Jag game that I've seen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Syndicate!  I find it highly playable and fun, building up your team from nothing into a global megapower.  It's a PC port on console that plays much better than others due to the Jaguar's unique keypad.  And there's some good variety across the 50 missions.

I'm one of the very few who actually likes the game, apparently.  It does have a steep learning curve, as those controls take some practice.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Baldies. Baldies forever. On cart, I’d second Power Drive Rally. Loved the headlight effect on night courses.

Oh man...Baldies is great.  It has a quirky sense of humor that might not appeal to everyone.  But there's some good fun to be had there (and it usually has to do with stink bombs, landshark plagues, or helicopters).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PFG 9000 said:

Syndicate!  I find it highly playable and fun, building up your team from nothing into a global megapower.  It's a PC port on console that plays much better than others due to the Jaguar's unique keypad.  And there's some good variety across the 50 missions.

I'm one of the very few who actually likes the game, apparently.  It does have a steep learning curve, as those controls take some practice

Strongly agree, Syndicate is my pick too.  One of my favorites on the Jag 

• Like 2

I vote Atack of the mutant penguins. It is weird, not very easy to get into and lacks in several departments (it's short, it has no whacky music to acompany the madness) but I had a lot of fun with it and I kind of like the idea that the devs tried something different for a change. Also it has those minigames between levels which is also neat.

• Like 4