IGNORED

What's the most under-rated retail game on the Atari Jaguar?

Jag64

1 hour ago, doctorclu said:

Best pitch for the pro-controller yet.   Have to see if that new run of pro-controllers is still going on.  :D

[Goes to Atariage Store, sees it is still there, tries to log in to buy a pro-controller.

Password no good.

Goes to reset password.

Password takes!

Goes to login in...

password no good.

Rinse repeat, same effect.]

Oh well, I'll take your word for it.  :P

Hmmm... might give Songbird a try on the Pro-Controller for $10 more.

I've seen mention of a another print of this floating around.   If so, a good time to buy.

I think that they can be bought on ebay from the guy that makes them.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 11:40 AM, Leonard Smith said:

I really liked Val D'Isere Skiing and Snowboarding

Not many people seem to mention it, probably because it's a sports game.

It got ok reviews and I always felt like it was a better playing spiritual sequel to Rare's Slalom.

I really wanted to love that game, but felt the audio-visuals were mediocre (although definitely better than the SNES variation) and there wasn't enough to the gameplay. 

On 4/19/2022 at 11:44 AM, Cobra Kai said:

Defender 2000. 

Has more haters than not. I think it's a masterfully programmed game, and the ridicule, some of it fair, is way overblown and has a rep for being a piece of crap game, which is wrong.

I like the gameplay, but for me I have never been a fan of the oversized, chunky 90s rendered sprites, so a game like Defender 2000 is not really high up there for me because of that (and my appreciation for the psychedelic Minter stuff pretty much begins and ends with the VLM and Tempest 2000).

For my pick, it's Zero 5. Although not without its flaws, it has a fantastic look (something many Jaguar games for me simply didn't pull off) and feels distinct to the platform. I know some people don't care for the gameplay, and again, it's not without its issues, but it's pretty par for the course for that specific subgenre. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

I also wanna throw Highlander and Hoverstrike CD in there. Really liked them both. 

I've got the FMV scenes from Baldies and Highlander etched in my memory from so many plays. The controls in Highlander would drive me nuts some times, though.

On 4/24/2022 at 4:54 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

But like I mentioned, the EB Games/GameStop back in 1997/98 also carried Jag games, just in a tiny little section way in the back. I wonder how many others did after '96 or so (if just to unload unsold inventory)

My Electronics Boutique carried Jag stuff in 1998 for sure. I think it was a system and three games for $75 or something. I passed it up as a teenager with no money and bought some Japanese Virtual Boy games for $2 each :)

Point of history: Electronics Boutique didn’t become EB Games until 2000 and it didn’t merge with GameStop until 2005. I still miss Funcoland.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

My Electronics Boutique carried Jag stuff in 1998 for sure. I think it was a system and three games for $75 or something. I passed it up as a teenager with no money and bought some Japanese Virtual Boy games for $2 each :)

Point of history: Electronics Boutique didn’t become EB Games until 2000 and it didn’t merge with GameStop until 2005. I still miss Funcoland.

All three had unique styles back in the day. Makes me miss going in and looking at all the things I couldn't afford. ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jag64 said:

*5 Days Later a New Thread Starts*

Could Custer's Revenge 2000 have saved the Atari Jaguar if it was a pack-in game?

Yeah all it needs is really, really bad photoshop images to kick start it... Know anyone?

• Haha 3

Is the rating scale for Jaguar stable enough to know what to recommend for "under-rated"?  I feel Cybermorph is a better game than the meme thrashing it gets in the retro gaming community.  A game I enjoy playing once in a while that doesn't get mentioned often is Ruiner Pinball, it's exclusive, it plays alright, and I liked it better than Pinball Fantasies in presentation.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jag64 said:

*5 Days Later a New Thread Starts*

Could Custer's Revenge 2000 have saved the Atari Jaguar if it was a pack-in game?

or "The source code for an unreleased version of Custer's Revenge for PS1 is now available, think we can get it running on the Jag?"

13 hours ago, Jag64 said:

All three had unique styles back in the day. Makes me miss going in and looking at all the things I couldn't afford. ?

I remember EB mall stores being very tiny and hard to browse because they were always crowded.  Don't really miss that one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, zzip said:

I remember EB mall stores being very tiny and hard to browse because they were always crowded.  Don't really miss that one!

The one I worked at the Woodbridge Mall in New Jersey during the time of the Jaguar's release actually was a pretty good size. Its major flaw was having two large ways in/out, so it was hard to keep theft under control. I believe they eventually moved all stores to a single way in/out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

The one I worked at the Woodbridge Mall in New Jersey during the time of the Jaguar's release actually was a pretty good size. Its major flaw was having two large ways in/out, so it was hard to keep theft under control. I believe they eventually moved all stores to a single way in/out.

That sucks about the theft. (I always wonder how much cheaper things would be if there was no theft, thus factoring those losses into costs, etc. Utopia daydreaming.) Besides the theft, that must've been a pretty cool Electronics Boutique; I'd only ever seen the small ones "skinnier" than fly-by-night mall t-shirt shops near the holidays. Granted, your mall was probably in a MUCH bigger market than my Cincinnati suburbs. Was Babbages still around then? Getting into my early/early teens blurring when all the stores (Babbages, EB, Funcoland, GameStop) started getting gobbled up / merging.

Anyway, I bet you've got some wild stories from working there during that period.

Edited by Jag64

5 minutes ago, Jag64 said:

That sucks about the theft. (I always wonder how much cheaper things would be if there was no theft, thus factoring those losses into costs, etc. Utopia daydreaming.) Besides the theft, that must've been a pretty cool Electronics Boutique; I'd only ever seen the small ones "skinnier" than fly-by-night mall t-shirt shops near the holidays. Granted, your mall was probably in a MUCH bigger market than my Cincinnati suburbs. Was Babbages still around then? Getting into my early/early teens blurring when all the stores (Babbages, EB, Funcoland, GameStop) started getting gobbled up / merging.

Anyway, I bet you've got some wild stories from working there during that period.

Babbage's was still around - I bought about 20 Jaguar games @ $5/piece circa 1997 from a mall store in Detroit.

13 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Come to think of it, by the 90s our EB moved upstairs to a bigger store.   It still was not large by any means, but it was now big enough to have stacks of consoles in the aisles,  I remember a pile of clearance Jaguars there, that's where I got mine.

But the store they had in the 80s was just ridiculously small.   I'd say 200 sq ft of floor space, give or take

58 minutes ago, Jag64 said:

As a matter of fact, there was also a Babbage's in a different part of the mall. They had the smaller store at the time. 

In terms of things stolen, besides an employee exchanging games for sneakers (!), I remember we had several Sega CD games pulled off the wall. Of course they were empty cases, so in the mall tunnel (to reach the exit if you didn't go through a department store) we found the case smashed on the floor.

I've told this story before on here, but EB corporate surveyed all of the managers about whether or not they should carry the upcoming Jaguar, CD32, and a few other items I believe. That just goes to show how far Atari had fallen by that point that it was even a question whether they should bother carrying it. I encouraged the manager to agree to the Jaguar, and clearly enough other managers must have as well as we did obviously carry it around launch and its very small handful of games (for the longest time staying that way, of course).

On 5/4/2022 at 11:24 AM, jgkspsx said:

I still miss Funcoland.

Hells yeah. I got Super Street Fighter II for SNES from them via a back-of-the-magazine ad by mailing a freaking money order.  Soon after they put a shop in our local mall (Still there as a GameStop) where my brother and I bought our Saturn.

• Like 1

Missed the edit period...

It was Babbage's and it was at 12 Oaks.   I found two of the receipts from that day 05-19-1997.  Paid more than I thought for those games as well.

Dragon's Lair $5

Zoop $10

Club Drive $2.50

I-War $10

Theme Park $5

S-video cable $2.50

Brain Dead 13 $5

Ruiner Pinball $7.50

Pitfall $7.50

Myst $7.50

Flashback $7.50

Hove Strike CD $7.50

Pinball Fantasies $7.50

I also found a receipt from Dentec for a NIB Jaguar with Ruiner, Pitfall and Checkered Flag for $24.95   

• Like 3